News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss the memo that contested marking is the deciding factor on what makes a superstar forward or not?

Jenkins gets slagged despite his goal count because he offered nothing beyond that (and that's before acknowledging Jenkins goal kicking isn't even in the same league as what Cameron has produced). He wasn't great in link up play, he wasn't great in the air, he was useless defensively.

Cameron however, is damn good at link up play on top of his goal count.
Contested marking is certainly not the only factor that makes a superstar forward, and neither is tackling, however most would agree that they are important parts of it. However you only used goals kicked in your defense of him, which he leads Josh Jenkins by 2.5 average against 2.0 (despite Jenkins rucking 20% of the time), and I am suggesting that if the only category that he leads Jenkins in is a 25% advantage in goals then he can’t be described as a superstar.

I wasn’t pumping up Jenkins by the way, just pointing out that Cameron has taken less contested marks per game than someone who everyone slams for not taking contested marks. Also he averages less tackles and 1 per centers than someone who gets slammed for not tackling and less goal assists than someone who gets slammed for being selfish.

A question if I may. How often are player’s contracts re-loaded as players leave/arrive with clubs wanting to expend at least the minimum amount. I would have thought it would be quite commonplace, but have always wanted to know.

It never happened in the time i was involved in the system. Most players are on 2 or 3 year deals, so there's always enough players coming out of contract each year deserving pay rises, that you're easily able to avoid the cap floor.

If you know you're hovering around the bottom of the salary cap, that means you have upwards of a million bucks you can go out and spend on a player. Most list management departments don't need much encouragement to go and try and poach some C grade player that they rate as a B+ player, and pay them accordingly.

The only time it might happen is if you had 2-3 big players leave at the same time and the Club wasn't expecting it, a large portion of your cap expenditure disappears unexpectedly.

In reality, most Clubs aren't close to the cap floor. You can also carry forward any cap underspend to future years as well. So there's little incentive to manipulate your contracts to get the cap spend to exactly 100% either.

What part of Adam Kelly's quote did you not understand? The "pick 2 or we match" part?

I reckon the parties were hoping the Joe deal would give them some certainty, and the crazy number he got has left them still in the dark. The biggest danger for the club is having to match an offer they'd rather not (eg $700 X 5). I think this weekend is about finding a way to get to $3.5M over a shorter term, to get the avg salary into Band 1 comfort zone. If that's the case, I'd say we will end up at $800 X 4 with incentives. If not, Brad will be a Crow in 2021. My money is still on Band 1 getting done.

I think there's still an out. He included the word "plan". We won't be told by the AFL what the band is if it falls in the uncertain range. So a $750k average might not end up as band 1, but we probably don't match as we don't seem to have been keen on 5 years from the start. I think there's a high band 2 range where we don't know and don't match a 5 year offer.

yes. 200%

Someone’s got to finish the work of our developing youngsters, and it isn’t going to be Tex

the single biggest problem with rebuilds is not enough senior players to hold the ship steady as young guys develop

otherwise like Melbourne, Carlton, GCS all they learn is losing

best thing GWS ever did was get enough experienced heads as ballast in the early days

Also got the right type. Competitive animals seemingly beyond their useful life at current clubs. Gold Coast bought in the exact wrong type of experience.

We want him. Our version of a rebuild is what you've already seen. If Cameron improves our chances of making the 8 next year for no draft pick, we'll absolutely jump at it. Our stated goal of making the 8 most years hasn't changed.

What is a rebuild, how do you know when it's done?

Is there any reason that a team that picks up pick 1 and 2 and a third top 10 pick on top of our existing talent, as well as injects a stud key forward couldnt contend in 1 or 2 years once you've got experience into those players?

I'm not sure I'm sold on that pathway, but without clarity around the goals of a rebuild its hard to assume it should be for any particular length of time.

I think there's still an out. He included the word "plan". We won't be told by the AFL what the band is if it falls in the uncertain range. So a $750k average might not end up as band 1, but we probably don't match as we don't seem to have been keen on 5 years from the start. I think there's a high band 2 range where we don't know and don't match a 5 year offer.
Hopefully the offer is clear cut, any chance the AFL can class it as band 2 and they will be snapping hands off.

On SM-A908B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be a strange list move for us to go after Cameron and offer him $1M when he turn 28 years old next year when we don't want to offer B.Crouch $750K when he turn 27 years old next year because we are supposedly rebuilding, don't you think?

No. I'm a massive Brad Crouch fan, but even for me pick 2 is impossible to knock back. If pick 2 wasn't possible, before trading Brad, I'd be tapping Sloane on the shoulder forcing him out and paying half his contract to make it happen. And our version of a rebuild is using our draft picks, it's done.

Im pretty sure that the club is told about compo before the match bid deadline.

We just need to to tell him that we will use pick 8 on him in the national draft if essendon overlook him to prevent him and geelong using that route. If we can assist gws by preventing both national and psd from being used as a threat it will put geelong under massive pressure to pay up big and it just might help gws to allow hately through to us for a lower pick in return for the assistance we could offer them in the cameron negotiation

I think our sell would be that if Cats fail to get it across the line then we'll cover his wage demands and grab him if he nominates for the PSD. Not treading on anyone's toes whilst positioning ourselves for a free hit at a megastar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. I'm a massive Brad Crouch fan, but even for me pick 2 is impossible to knock back. If pick 2 wasn't possible, before trading Brad, I'd be tapping Sloane on the shoulder forcing him out and paying half his contract to make it happen. And our version of a rebuild is using our draft picks, it's done.
Which is my point, rebuild probably given what we've been trying to do with B.Crouch so why would we want a 28 years old player next year on 4-5 years for $1M. I rather use the $250K salary on the youngsters to keep them here and keep B.Crouch if it's not band 1 compensation instead of offering Cameron $1M.

Last edited:
Considering Gil is a Saints fan , Lethers is his best mate and we got a pasted last year for GC bail out i expect this to be sorted out to favor both clubs before discussions regarding FA trade structure tightening mentioned and fluffed over .

What is a rebuild, how do you know when it's done?

Is there any reason that a team that picks up pick 1 and 2 and a third top 10 pick on top of our existing talent, as well as injects a stud key forward couldnt contend in 1 or 2 years once you've got experience into those players?

I'm not sure I'm sold on that pathway, but without clarity around the goals of a rebuild its hard to assume it should be for any particular length of time.

I think that moving on players like Lynch if you can upgrade a pick is a legit part of a rebuild. But we rebuild geared to make the 8, so that's not a component of our version. As Reid said, a rebuild historically requires 4 years of high picks as a base. This is our 3rd year and it's a fair swag. We'll add another top 6 pick next year, so that's the base sorted. Other list decisions will be based around being competitive enough to make the 8. That's why Mackay is still in the frame, 32yo depth is still important.

I'm not duggesting it's flawed, I'm just saying that what we see is our version of a rebuild. Apart from Brad, Otto and Douglas, every player that's left has had a contract in front of them that they close not to sign.

Last edited:
Which is my point, rebuild probably given what we've been trying to do with B.Crouch so why would we want a 28 years old player next year on 4-5 years for $1M. I rather use the $250K salary on the youngsters to keep them here and keep B.Crouch if it's not band 1 compensation instead of offering Cameron $1M.

We still want to make the 8. That is priority 1 as it has always been. We rebuild whilst remaining true to that desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back