News Brad Ebert traded to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Brad Ebert to Port Adelaide

So it'll be another pick from GWS around that mark, maybe the 2011 first round compensation pick (received for Phil Davis)?

No chance. closest pick looks like its 14, and their compo picks are going nowhere as they are a pillar of their strategy.

Confirmed for Pick 28 + A few other trade of picks.

Josh Hill, Chad Cornes and Dean Brogan are also involved in the trade.

Welcome to the Club Brad.

Pick 28 is very good for Brad, dont doubt that.

Just have to wait and see what else we get.

You mean "Welcome back to where you belong, Brad"

Biggest frustration for mine is the fact there was a remote possibility we could've snaffled him for free in the PSD, but I guess the club couldn't take that risk especially with the evil scientists Sheedy and Williams with a pick before us.

Oh well, hopefully we will have some good Assistant Coaches on board who can help with his limitations (disposal and agility) and we may have ourselves quite a bargain.

Welcome to the club Brad Ebert

unless that is a pick between 30-35 coming our way this has been a complete f%^& up.

nothing against brad, he is an alright player, he will be an upgrade on several players who just pad out the end of our 22, but to bring in 2 such players ( with renouf) and giving up a chance to really improve is damaging.

the point is what we really lack is the top quality players. we need those they are how we will really move up, not just move from 16th to 12th but really become a finals team.

those players normally come in the very top picks but are also littered through the draft. the more work you do and the more you take the better than odds. ie, pick 28 or 33 may not work out to be a star but you have twice the chance of picking up a star over someone who just has pick 30. over time the odds will really show, back yourself to find the talent but also its a numbers game and your number aint gunna come up if you dont have one.

Ebert is an incomprehensible win over pick#28 in a compromised draft. Renouf, neither here nor there, and we still have pick#6.

The fool's gold of the lucky dip is overrated.

Now I've just dragged myself through the front door after a boozy lunch and I can't help wondering why we are celebrating a trade that isn't official yet?

If it is and I've missed something obvious somewhere,

Welcome home Brad.

If not, what the **** are you all doing to my lovely beer buzz?

so it sounds like we will have just pick 6 in this draft....

thats not a bad thing. We will get something very decent with 6 no doubt
anything around our 28/33 picks would have been hit and miss in this shit draft
trading away later picks in this draft doesnt sound that big a deal...

Bringing Ebert and Renouf plus one of Wingard/WHE/Tyson/Longer/Kavanagh isnt bad at all

Originally Posted by PAFC37
You dont rate Boak, Harlett, Gray, Butcher, Trengove as future top quality players??? For christ sake man!! Give these guys some time to develop along with all the other kids on our list

i love those guys so much, and there is room for improvement there but unless we start surrounding them with players of similar talent they will always be doing the work required of many more. we always say the problem is guys like pearce and boak would do much better in a better team, i doubt bringing in ebert and renouf is going to make a big difference there.

alot of the problem is our very best are too few, we only have pick 6 now to add to that. ebert and renouf just mildly close the gap between our best and our fringe players.

Unfortunately PORT, like the Eagles last year, picked the wrong year(s) to bottom out. With GCS & GWS taking the cream, it is tough. When teams are playing poorly and are under-manned, almost evryone looks like they lack sufficient talent. Things can turn around pretty quickly By getting Ebert & Renouf, PORT have done really well in a shitty draft (where the 12 best 16yo players were snatched from this draft by GWS last year). Your Pick 28 equates with a Pick 40 in most prior drafts - while Ebert was about a Pick 13 and is just entering his prime at 21yo after 75 valuable games experience. PORT smashed the Eagles on this deal. The trick in this years draft is to be patient and hold marginal value players for one more year. There is little sense in trading in too many risky high end draft picks, only to have to de-list them in a year or two. Have faith in your prior drafted players and work harder to assist them to reach their true potential. Next years draft will be a better draft to load up more young players.

Congrats.

Rhode backed off his demand of not giving up 6 or 28 pretty quickly - fair trade in the end given the contract situation.

Hope him well.
Me much hope him well too.
28 is fair given we've secured Renouf. Here's hoping we make top 14 next year.

Happy he's Port Adelaide again. Always belonged with us. Just took a few years.

Believe the trade has already been posted,

Not 100% on who gets #45 and #49 though as of yet. Have a feeling we may be getting #45.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok, there are a couple of coasters who think 51 to them is part of the deal.

It looks a little unbalanced to me if their pick 45 comes into play but isn't replaced with something of lesser value. Otherwise they've virtually traded Hill straight in for 45.

its less about the losing pick 28. to be honest ive always been so so about brad. will be an upgrade on some players getting games.

the problem is we really shouldnt have almost completely traded out of the draft considering we did not have anything forced on us here.

ideally i would have thought we could keep picks 6 / 28 / 33 and bundle some players up to send out for picks required to get brad. rodan/ sal/ brett ebert/ thomas are all replaceable. if the picks we sent out are so imminently crap as you guys think those guys should have been able to pull something decent in. barring that i couldve lived with losing one of 33 or 28. losing both??? its just frekkin weird that we couldnt have made it work. couldve worked whatever we got for brogan/ chad to hawks for renouf or just get a state leaguer if all we want is a 2-3 year stop-gap.

there should have been ways we could have gotten brad + ruck back up without losing both 28 and 33. 28 for brad isnt so bad. but losing 28 and 33 for those players is not so good. feels like we played it real safe here.

this off-season will go down without a big + or a big - next to it, but for a team that needs to improve and that really didnt have their hand forced the fact we come out like that isnt a good thing.

It looks a little unbalanced to me if their pick 45 comes into play but isn't replaced with something of lesser value. Otherwise they've virtually traded Hill straight in for 45.

Let me find out for you tonight, just heading out to the pub :thumbsu:

So in a Compromised draft we still get Pick 6, plus 2 experienced youngsters (one of whom is a Premiership player and the other declared us as his team of choice). Plus Pick 3 in the PSD.
If we could managed to ship of Pettigrew for pick 98, I would consider this Trade week as pretty good! :D

Ebert for 28 (plus whatever inconsequential crap is going on with the 'retirees') in isolation is an OK deal. Ebert for 28 combined with Renouf for 33 is stupid. We shouldn't have traded ourselves out of the start of the second round of the draft. But the Ebert deal certainly isn't the part of that deal that was a mistake.

I don't know why we'd be getting 51 in the deal. We won't use it except to upgrade Hams.

Saw this elsewhere on your board, it looks about right.

WC:
In: Hill, 28
Out: Ebert 45
Port:
In: Ebert, 45 or 49
Out: 28, Chad/Dean
GWS:
In: Chad/Dean
Out: 49
WB:
In: 45 or 49
Out: Hill