Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Hi All,

Just wanted to know what other supporters thought of young Brad, personally I think he has a long way to go, just after watching a few VFL games he appears to be a little confused by the game plan etc - bottom line is do you think he will make it? Feedback would be much appreciated

You're right, he has a looong way to go, hasn't really had much of an impact on any game to date, but I don't think anyone really expects him to at this stage of his development.

Still learning the system and fitness-wise is nowhere near it, but having watched all his games to date he has shown a little bit every time, and last weekend had 2-3 moments where he looked the goods.

Would hope by years end he might be an automatic finals selection but no certainty.

You're right, he has a looong way to go, hasn't really had much of an impact on any game to date, but I don't think anyone really expects him to at this stage of his development.

Still learning the system and fitness-wise is nowhere near it, but having watched all his games to date he has shown a little bit every time, and last weekend had 2-3 moments where he looked the goods.

Would hope by years end he might be an automatic finals selection but no certainty.

Might be one of Wells Diamonds in the rough but from what ive seen his fitness is questionable at best

Was always going to be a long term prospect, especially considering his age (he's still only 18) and the fact he hadn't played much, if any, senior footy.

He obviously has talent, going off his highlights packages, but what he's shown has been against other boys. It will always take time for him to adapt to playing against men, and within a set structure.

I reckon he'll be fine, but is still probably a 2015 prospect at best. Great size though, and you have to love his overhead ability, taking it at it's highest point, good strong hands.

too raw at the moment.
Needs a good 3 years in the gym, I think he's only 18?

Maybe by 2015 we will get a better idea of how he's traveling. About the same time Hamling begins impacting games with consistency.

We should of delisted Bathie and got Hartman in the rookie draft and got Garlett at pick 77 for the bargain of a life time

The issue of that is it goes close to going against the principle that have got to where we are. There is a reason why he is not on anyones list , and its not talent. The approach you have mentioned would probably give us a better chance of a footballer however cause I don't think Bathie is going to make it.

Would I draft him this year....mmmm. Id take the same approach as I said with Taylor Adams. Have a close look off field , has he matured , can he grow up to the point of AFL requirements. Not every talented player is suited to life as an AFL player. If we thought he was worth a shot then yes , but especially with our history , Id go overtime in ensuring our club is a leader in the area of Aboriginal issues. Id even ask our other guys for input.

IMO in the next 10 years we will be laughing. Hartman will become a regular, kicks bag of goals and become an elite player. He was dominating the SANFL and he do it in the AFL.

He kicked 52 goals in the SANFL Under 18's - good effort but hardly "dominating the SANFL" as you put it. Not like our board to overrate our youngsters at all...:cool:

As said above, he needs time, and multiple years of it.

I have seen his name thrown into discussions about list management and the forthcoming squeeze, and I am sure it will come up again and again, but I cannot imagine that the club would jettison an 18/19 y.o. draftee after 12 months.

But then, who goes? Some very tough calls to be made. Football department will be earning their money this off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should of delisted Bathie and got Hartman in the rookie draft
Yes, he should have been a rookie selection, but Bathie is non-standard rookie and getting rid of him would not have allowed us to select Hartman as a rookie. We didn't want to get rid of any of the other rookies and we couldn't promote any of them without delisting a senior list player. We had to use a national draft selection on him if we were to get him at all.

Yeah Hartman is a project player, he is very young and has played minimal footy in recent years and will take time if he makes it all, we can afford that luxury in the hope of a big payoff. He isn't like Blicavs and can make that jump in year 1. But if he does play senior footy, he'll be doing it at a younger age than Blicavs. Unless he is falling well short of the goals set him by the footy department, I don't see any cause for concern.

Should be a Rookie listed player , if listed at all. Cant see what attracted Wells atm but sometimes you back the Jockey not the horse , if Wells has picked I will give him time but on anyone else list I would seriously consider looking at making a hard choice.

Maybe Wells was at the game where Hartman had about 40 touches and kicked 8 or 9 goals from the half forward flank.

too raw at the moment.
Needs a good 3 years in the gym, I think he's only 18?

Maybe by 2015 we will get a better idea of how he's traveling. About the same time Hamling begins impacting games with consistency.

Yes, Hartmann, one at the young end of the draft crop. A typical Wells selection. Hamling at 30 odd had us scratching our heads but we are beginning to see the wisdom of his selection.

Yes, Hartmann, one at the young end of the draft crop. A typical Wells selection. Hamling at 30 odd had us scratching our heads but we are beginning to see the wisdom of his selection.

Hamling, and Kersten even moreso, was talked of as a 20's pick, more than a few were surprised we were able to select one let alone both with our picks in the 30's IIRC.

Hamling, and Kersten even moreso, was talked of as a 20's pick, more than a few were surprised we were able to select one let alone both with our picks in the 30's IIRC.
Kersten was always a pick. Surprised most he fell that far but if IRC we went for Hamling first leaving Kersten hanging for one pick. That was the Wells thing. Went with the smokey and left the standard pick out there.

So Hartmann has time.

Check back in 12-15 months. What were people expecting from a high 70s pick, who was a week removed from his 18th birthday when he was drafted?

Apparently not perspective. Your post is succinct.

Hartman was drafted for his physical characteristics on top of a few completely off the chart games in the SANFL 2nds.

I think it also needs to be mentioned that when he was drafted, to the surprise of 100% of watchers, it was suggested that Wells was pulling another swifty, paying effectively zero for a youngster who would go much higher in the draft next year. If correct, this means a 3-4 year gestation period instead of the more common 2-3 years.

I to have not liked what i have seen from him but Mr Wells knows talent a little better than me. I fully back our development system to grow him as a player. Give him some time and judge him in 18 months. We have had plenty of players not look great in their first year but have come on to be great players. Kids need time especially if they have not come out of an elite junior system like Hartman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back