List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

His drafting is passable in my opinion.

There's a ton of talent that was taken in good positions and I think will be unlocked eventually in the right environment.

A lot of the trading and mature age scouting is absolutely diabolical though.
He has done what is expected with high picks. Where are the small forwards, non small mids, tall forwards and defenders?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was anyone planning in 2020 that we would have top 2 picks in 2022 and 2023? Perhaps we should have but with Shaw barely out the door and Noble barely in, and nobody in charge, it seems we really didn't have the foresight. With the benefit of hindsight and the talent we have accumulated in 2022 and 2023, certainly you would want a do-over for both 2020 and 2021 first round picks. But if we'd gone a different direction in 2021 with JHF and perhaps taken the Adelaide offer, I imagine the narrative would be that if JHF was starring for Adelaide then we must have made a mistake not taking him.

Really, the only questionable choices were to take all mids instead of KP talls when they were available. So in real terms, Phillips instead of McDonald, Sheezel instead of Cadman, and McKercher instead of Curtin. The only one that is demonstrably wrong at this moment is Phillips over McDonald. I doubt that anyone here is ready to hand back Sheezel or McKercher.
For me it's not so much the top end picks we got wrong, but the selection of undersized mids/flankers instead of big blokes when we had a huge hole.... i.e. Patrick Walker over Josh Treacy in 21 rookie draft etc.

We've cycled through mid-sized junk instead of 'big men take time' junk. Gotta take a few selections and hope a couple stick!

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back