Up the Coasters Brilliant. Just ******* Brilliant (Positives and Negatives vs Narrm)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know if anyone is the same with this weird thing I do/think but… basically knew we were going to win after Harley’s first goal. Whenever he kicks one early the team just goes into beast mode.

Soon as he nailed it I said yep there it is it’s ours tonight
I don't know about being sure we were going to win, but it was a clear indication that we were going to have a good night regardless of the result.

Looking forward to watching the replay.

I stopped too many times to watch highlights of that Reid goal and missed loads.

Whatever happened in that post game catch up after round 4 they need to bottle up and sell, the transformation since has been unbelievable.

It obviously helps when you win, but it’s so pleasing to see us rely less on our old cohort and it was our younger group leading the way, supported by our experienced boys- as it should be.

What happens to jack Williams when Flynn comes in ?

He sure as hell doesn't deserve to be dropped .

Does so many good things every game even if it's just the fundamentals
Thats what i am thinking, especially with allen to come back in who goes out. Its probably maric and j williams, though they could move maric to wing or half fwd for ledwards

Absolutely incredible, best game I’ve seen the eagles play in four years. A complete effort where almost every single player went hard all game.

Standouts

I don’t think there’s have been one person here that would’ve thought waterman would be be the best contested forward in the game this year , just incredible and what a reward for effort.

The Jack Darling that puts in genuine second efforts instead of flopping and playing for frees still offers plenty.

Simmo was right, I was wrong. Fast tracking Ryan through the seniors looks to have paid dividends.

Youth fantastic, just absolutely fantastic tonight. Harley absolute star but Ginbey and chesser both had good games, though Jack Williams did a few nice things.

Have to pay respect to my regular whipping boys, the efforts of Cole tonight was very good and he made some incredible 1%ers and even sheed with the exception of some disposal issues fought to keep posession of the ball.

Negatives: the AFL can’t look an honest fan in the face and say they aren’t trying to impact games with the shit that was being pulled in that third quarter. 9-2 free kick count with almost all of those being gifted in attacking 50 every time they went forward. The one that irked me the most was no call on Jack Williams being infringed while the stand call was on and the fans sitting in seat 99ZZ being able to see that Clayton Oliver was throwing every “handball” but four ground level umpires couldn’t. Just a disgrace, fix your shit AFL.

Honestly Rotham has been better the past few weeks but for what is seemingly a man blessed with athleticism he just doesn’t want it enough, made some horrific efforts tonight. Additionally if Greg Clarke couldn’t make it because of his pace, Luke Edwards isn’t going to either. If you’re that slow you need to have something else very special to offset.

Looking forward to watching the replay.

I stopped too many times to watch highlights of that Reid goal and missed loads.

Whatever happened in that post game catch up after round 4 they need to bottle up and sell, the transformation since has been unbelievable.

It obviously helps when you win, but it’s so pleasing to see us rely less on our old cohort and it was our younger group leading the way, supported by our experienced boys- as it should be.
Don't underestimate the games of players like Darling and Cripps tonight. As much as we need the kids to be driving us forward, we're a much better side when these guys are up and about like Yeo has been this season.

Positives
Supporters - massive crowds for years now despite where we are at. Love this club. This win is for them
Backline - hough barras McGovern
Harley - footy is about enjoyment and I'll take years of pain to watch this kid play football. Sitting with my boys watching this are memory making for me

Negatives - I don't want to get too negative but I have to say it, the sack simmo brigade over the past few years should hang their head in shame. He helped rebuild the list to a granny and then a flag. Let him do it again when he has players on the park.

Last edited:
Positive:
  • Harley Reid continues to impress.
  • Waterman is genuinely the best forward running around on current form.
  • Gov reminding us just how incredible he is. The OG and the greatest intercept defender.
  • Defence day was made easy by the pressure further up the ground. Welcome change from the last few years where being a defender must have sucked hard.
  • Chesser's disposals are quality. Still low numbers, but he makes them count.
  • Ryan working back into form.
  • TKelly when he's on, is clean, creative and damaging.
  • Team effort was there. Everyone did their part.
  • Dewar, despite coming on with only 6 mins left, showed good signs again.
  • Sheed was ok.

Negatives:
  • J.Jones disposal was shaky. Only had the 11 touches, but each one made the receipient work, even easy sideways kicks.
  • L.Edwards doesn't seem up to it. I don't care how fast or how far he runs, 10 touches per game is insufficient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious, would anybody here have picked a Sheed/Oliver match?
Let alone being an absolute cracking move.
Thankfully, it wasn't leaked pregame. This board would be a million posts deep in meltdown, I suspect.
Did well today, Dom. Credit where it's due.

I don't know where to start here and would like to see a replay which I'll watch tomorrow.

Reid - It's not even the run and carry, it's the understanding he has, being tackled but knowing he can get the handball out when he wants it, he'll just procure the ball. There was a tackle where Oliver had him cold, no way he's breaking the tackle, but he got his arm free for the handball regardless.

He knows the game in almost every situation like someone who has played 100 games. 90% DE with 10 score involvements. Good to see him with an even split of contested and uncontested, getting used a bit more in transition. 7 bounces though is good to see, shows he's taking the grass on offer and making players come to him as well as getting it in space.

Waterman - 5 contested marks, 6 inside 50 marks out of 13 total, 5 goals, 8 score involvements. Not sure what to say, looks unbeatable out there.

Darling - 12 tackles, 9 tackles inside 50, 3 goals, 1 goal assist and could have had more with a few free kicks that May should have given away to him.

The difference in this game was that we got the ball in there and locked it in. The hard work has been there for ages but the forwards haven't had a game where the ball is locked in and they can get creative with positioning, it's always been long down the wing then rebounding back.

I also think the game of guys like Cripps, Jones, Hunt, Ryan and Kelly when he was in there helped as the pressure went up a notch this game from our smalls.

Kelly - Loved his game, 4 goal assists and in the last quarter his manoeuvrability inside 50 was great but he just couldn't get a clean shot on goal, looked so dangerous with the ground ball gets inside 50 towards the end. 550m gained with an even split of contested and uncontested ball. Still a few kicks need tidying up but a great game overall.

Cripps - 1 goal 3, 2 goal assists, 4 tackles, 22 touches with 8 score involvements. Was surprised to see him with 50% DE because I thought his kicking to other players on the lead was really good, must have fluffed a few touches inside 50 because the play up the wing was good. Leads hard ... real hard. You need hard leads like that for the less skilled players on the team to be confident to hit the kick.

Duggan - Deadset not sure what his role is, works so well as a free roaming player in midfield. He's a smooth mover, always there for the outlet kick when someone else is under pressure as well. Can't go from inside to outside when in congestion but when he's moving he's a good run and carry option.

Feel like he went back at some stage to quieten down Kozzy but that could have just been a normal rotation while someone else was off. Either way, constantly leads out metres gained stat and he's busy off the ball so gets rewarded with touches.

Cole - Good moments, good tackles, good pressure from disadvantageous positions.

Sheed - Blanketed Oliver for a half and used the ball well in the second half, ran hard, looks fit, didn't fire away and thought through his options. Would be nice with an opposite hand handball sometimes but did pretty good old Sheed, love to see it! 5 tackles and 5 intercept possessions, clever positioning at times won him a loose ball from hack kicks.

Ginbey/Chesser - Started strong, both faded. A bit to work with there and when Ginbey gets confidence in his strength he'll cause havoc.

Barrass/Gov - We've been so blessed with key backs in our lifetime as Eagles supporters, these two as a duo are incredible. Barrass with 3 contested marks and 8 spoils, Gov with his kick ins and intercept marking. Just clone them please. Both had 8 marks total, Gov with 9 intercept possessions and Barrass with 8. The higher pressure from the half forwards and mids helped a lot here.

Getting out of congestion - Saw a lot more long handballs this game, not little 2m handballs to someone in trouble who gets wrapped up. Loved the longer handballs whether they were wide, forward or back to the corridor it just made space for everyone.

Jones/Hunt/Ryan - I feel like these three helped the balance of the side. I need to watch the game back again though but everyone just looked faster, the pressure from behind as well as from the other side from the mids was up a notch. Jones and Hunt weren't fantastic but the side looked balance.

NEGATIVES

Liam Ryan, you are a star. But you can't keep dropping these marks. The high flying mark is the greatest spectacle in world sport (imo) and you might be the best leaper we've seen. But you have dropped a few over the years.

That could have been the greatest we've ever seen. That's the mark every kid dreams of when they're young, to be standing (legs straight) on the tallest guy on the field and to take it one handed.

Some points not really covered yet: Simmo had a blinder in the box with some of the tactical strings we pulled going into this game. The use of kick-mark, sparingly, to let us buy some time and find some stamina was a delight.

Hate bitching about the umpiring - especially after a win - but jesus Christ. The umpiring.

know we are all on the jake train at the moment but darling quietly had a really good game

3 goals, 13 disposals, 12 tackles
Yep second efforts and forward pressure by him was incredible tonight, caused several goals because of it.

On a separate note, I can just imagine hewett watching a game like this absolutely chomping at the bit to get in that midfield with Reid and Ginbey. I really hope we can get him right and firing.

So so much to like. We seem to legitimately be one of the most fun teams to watch when we are up and about - aside from patches around 2018 we haven't been that in a long time.

Positives
Harley Reid surely shut down the "actually Darcy/Clohesy could be the Rising Star?" talk. He is pretty much making every game we play a must watch single handedly.
Waterman is so goddamn good. Absolutely stoked for him.
Ryan going for hangers again makes me so, so happy. Glad we persisted with him.
Sheed was legitimately good.
Chesser and Ginbey keep building, Ginbey in particular was excellent tonight.
Huge game from Darling.
Cole outstanding in his 100th.
Being in the crowd at optus for a game like this is such an incredible experience.

Reid
Hough
Ginbey
Hewett
Long
Jack Williams
Maric
Chesser

That’s our under 21 crew. That’s not bad at all…
Yeah Longy played a blinder! Sometimes you could barely notice his impact :eyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Coasters Brilliant. Just ******* Brilliant (Positives and Negatives vs Narrm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back