Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it's worth, I agree, we need a predominately teal away strip for Collingwood and St Kilda games (vs Essendon I think grey is fine). Similarly though, Collingwood needs a predominately neither black nor white Guernsey for away games against Geelong and St Kilda, Geelong needs something other than blue and white stripes when away to Collingwood, and Richmond/Carlton/Essendon all need to actually be forced to actually wear their away guernseys when there is a clash. None of this should be controversial thoughts in a professional league.

Neither, though, should be a club wearing it's most notable Guernsey to celebrate their heritage.

The league needs to step in and actually put out a proper Guernsey policy and have it be the same for every club. And that means if other clubs get to wear their heritage guernseys when they want (avoiding clashes as away teams), which they seem to be able to, then so should Port.

It’s not that difficult.

Home teams inform the league their kits.

Away teams must have one or two alternate kits that avoid possible clashes.

Done.

Remember when Collingwood were experimenting with clash guernseys vs North and Geelong?

Neither do they.
I'm generally never against a good bash of Collingwood but honestly of all the "big Victorian clubs" they are the best at actually wearing their clash Guernsey when needed as the away team - and even though it just swaps black with white stripes to white with black stripes, it is effective and they do voluntarily wear it even against teams like Carlton, Richmond, etc.

I mean I guess it makes sense they are on top of uniform issues given if you ask them they are apparently in charge of the uniform policy of the entire league. 😉

That's a training jumper and will not be worn in any official matches.

Ok, however all these white jumpers worn by other clubs are not that dissimilar nor that identical, which is applicable to our jumpers, yet no club has to seek permission from each other, and each are given the afl tick. It is just hypocrisy.

Tangent, anyone wonder what happened to the Trent McKenzie guernsey?
a1273e1cd1973627304da36b6a154a18

44 of em stuffed in a box somewhere in Ken's shed?

Devils advocate, but I’d legit be happy with that jumper set up as a permanent trio.

BiB jumper as home and standard away
Prison Bar for Showdowns and ANZAC day match
Geelong lite as clash as dictated by fixture.

Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is good but let's not forget that we gained one off approval to wear the PBs as recently as 2020. There is a long way to go before we achieve a satisfactory outcome here.
It will be yet another example of us wearing the PBs without the sky falling in, without Collingwood's brand being damaged and with only an insignificant percentage of Collingwood supporters seeing the game thinking that Collingwood is playing two games in round 3. The more times we get one off permission from Collingwood and they suffer no damage from it the more they look petty by denying us permission.

In his statement Browne refers to the elusive agreement that we supposedly signed. Everyone at Port involved at the time denies the existence of such an agreement and, just like McGuire before him, Browne is unable to produce this agreement. It is only because of this alleged agreement that we need to seek Collingwood's permission every time we want to wear the bars. It would be great if Gillon's replacement has a pair and puts an end to this farce.

Devils advocate, but I’d legit be happy with that jumper set up as a permanent trio.

BiB jumper as home and standard away
Prison Bar for Showdowns and ANZAC day match
Geelong lite as clash as dictated by fixture.

Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mostly me too but I would fiddle with the stripey jumper to make the baby blue more a teal. Or a silver.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

McGuire dies we get to wear the bars more often.

Browne as the AFL's legal counsel for over 2 decades, would have drafted up/written the IP agreements assigning control of the logos, trademarks etc from clubs to AFL. He also would have drafted up/written the licence agreements between all clubs and the AFL. He knows where the legal weaknesses are.

But politics and PR spin have to play out first.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A shame we can't wear lace up in the AFL.

Could we have a guernsey with a V shaped split at the bottom to simulate the laceup?

Unpopular opinion, one part what makes the PB so iconic is that we persisted with a lace up guernsey for as long as possible, longer than any other club.

McGuire dies we get to wear the bars more often.

Browne as the AFL's legal counsel for over 2 decades, would have drafted up/written the IP agreements assigning control of the logos, trademarks etc from clubs to AFL. He also would have drafted up/written the licence agreements between all clubs and the AFL. He knows where the legal weaknesses are.
Spot on.

But he also knows where the power base of the AFL sits and that's a few minutes drive up the road from Collingwood FC HQ. And decisions affecting every one of the 18 clubs in the AFL are made in the restaurants, bars and coffee houses sprinkled in between both long before they hit the desks of non Victorian clubs.

But politics and PR spin have to play out first.

Sadly the AFL lives and breathes on politics and PR spin...and the mantra 'whats good for the big Victorian Clubs is what's good for the AFL'.

Two of the three AFL CEOs since our entry into the AFL have been South Australians. The last one in particular has lived that mantra to the full.

Last edited:
A shame we can't wear lace up in the AFL.

Could we have a guernsey with a V shaped split at the bottom to simulate the laceup?

Unpopular opinion, one part what makes the PB so iconic is that we persisted with a lace up guernsey for as long as possible, longer than any other club.

Nathan Buckley said it was like putting on armour.

I'm not worried about it, it's just bland and ineffective as a clash strip whilst a predominantly teal strip would clearly stand out from the dark home strips of teams like Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon.
Ineffective as a clash strip?

Nice to meet you pot.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sadly the AFL lives and breathes on politics and PR spin...and the mantra 'whats good for the big Victorian Clubs is what's good for the AFL'.
So that’s why this is “the biggest opening round of football for ever”…. Because every Vic team is playing in Victoria this round. Not one travelling.

I'm not worried about it, it's just bland and ineffective as a clash strip whilst a predominantly teal strip would clearly stand out from the dark home strips of teams like Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon.
I think a predominately white strip should be a great clash strip for Collingwood, would clearly stand out from the predominantly dark home strips of teams like St Kilda and Essendon, and the vertical stripes of teams like North.

I have long suspected this isn't just about black and white, as the paranoia many wobbler supporters (particularly eddie everywhere) have with the PB's suggests even the thickest of them is very aware the design of our guernsey puts their bog average vertical stripes in the shade, why else would they be so concerned about a one off game played in another state?

I have long suspected this isn't just about black and white, as the paranoia many wobbler supporters (particularly eddie everywhere) have with the PB's suggests even the thickest of them is very aware the design of our guernsey puts their bog average vertical stripes in the shade, why else would they be so concerned about a one off game played in another state?

You have to put into context the way Victorians view football. The AFL is really a Victorian league with a few satellite clubs elsewhere to generate cash. We are unwelcome participants in their league. The idea that one of the satellite clubs would wear a guernsey vaguely similar to their guernsey is offensive - not because it really matters whether we wear it or not, but because even us thinking we should be able to wear it despite their objection indicates we see ourselves as an equal part of this league, which we are not. That's what this is really about.

The problem for me is that I don't believe that it will stop at "a one off game".

Other posts in this thread comment about:
  • PB as home strip (Post #1,950)
  • PB for ANZAC (Post #1,957)
  • Bring back the SA Magpies (Post #1,937)
I would like to know what PA fans want as an end point and to have the arguement now and sort it out once and for all so we don't have to go throught the same stuff every year.

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back