Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably murkeys the water too much but Id like them to wear the 1914 PBs next year as a 110 anniversary of champions of Australia
They are my favourite PB’s.
I have the ones from 2014, with the flags badge on, beautiful.

Sort of sounds like he's given up. And we know it's about the piers not prison bars, but they are still black and white.

3995861.JPG

Sort of sounds like he's given up. And we know it's about the piers not prison bars, but they are still black and white.

3995861.JPG

Concur. It does sound like he’s decided there’s more to life than this puerile issue.

An ideal parting shot for him, in my world, would be his public sacking of his own CEO.

In a final dig, McGuire urged the Power to “drop the Prison Bars reference”.

“I think it‘s a really bad reference in the current lifestyle that we’re all in,” he said.

“I just don’t think it’s good for the demographic that we’re all involved in and go back to what originally was – and that was the ‘piers’ of Port Adelaide. It had nothing to do with prison bars.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/e...t/news-story/8c670c8dae6ccf23f091076e83a057b7

This ensures that they are the Bars forever. Full name: The Prison Bars.

Go and get educated, Eddie.

Any nickname that is bestowed upon us by our arch enemy - Norwood - in the mighty 1950s is a nickname we are obliged by our rebellious DNA to keep.

The Sydney one looks good.. don't at me
Funny you mention that, this was in the Football Life magazine in 1968. The design itself is painted by one person based on a description from another person so it likely would have been closer to the prison bar jumper. It's obviously a great design, so it could look good in any colour scheme. But we all know black and white is best.
sm2-copy-jpg.607162

That design doesn't work with black + anything not white.

The Sydney one looks best because it's white and red. I think a QLD state team used to maroon and white and it didn't look bad.

If it isn't black and white, it's best to use a light colour and white. It just doesn't work another way.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a final dig, McGuire urged the Power to “drop the Prison Bars reference”.

“I think it‘s a really bad reference in the current lifestyle that we’re all in,” he said.

“I just don’t think it’s good for the demographic that we’re all involved in and go back to what originally was – and that was the ‘piers’ of Port Adelaide. It had nothing to do with prison bars.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/e...t/news-story/8c670c8dae6ccf23f091076e83a057b7

This ensures that they are the Bars forever. Full name: The Prison Bars.

Go and get educated, Eddie.

Any nickname that is bestowed upon us by our arch enemy - Norwood - in the mighty 1950s is a nickname we are obliged by our rebellious DNA to keep.

There's an adage in branding that goes "you don't own your brand, your market does".

The market decided long ago that they are the Prison Bars and it is nigh on impossible to put that genie back in the bottle.

Not that you'd want to either, the mythos surrounding the guernsey is phenomenally enhanced with such a great nickname. The added story about the origin of the nickname says so much about Port Adelaide the club, and the Port Adelaide people.

You can't manufacture something like this. It's pure gold.

Last edited:
"This is an important step to hopefully wear the Prison Bars once a year in our home Showdown. We think this is the perfect nod to our rich heritage, whilst we remain firmly focused on the future which has always been the Port Adelaide way. "

jesus could you aim any lower. How about it's an important step in being able to wear this guernsey when we feel it's appropriate each season.

it was always all showdowns and all of sudden i keep hearing home showdowns only, now we've heard it straight from the CEO. I think the difference between twice a year and once is quite significant and needs further explanation.
Our AFLW side should also get to wear it. Also wouldn't mind the 1914 version of the Prison Bars being worn for ANZAC round.

Our AFLW side should also get to wear it. Also wouldn't mind the 1914 version of the Prison Bars being worn for ANZAC round.
the 1914 version is nice, i got one of them back in 2014.
I'm not really that bothered if the AFLW team can wear it or not to be honest.
The 1914 thinner bars guernsey commemorates, of course, the start of the Great War alias World War I.

It is not the nicest event to commemorate, but it‘s there to stay. Like a tumour too close to the brain to be operated on and removed, or zapped with chemo or cosmic rays, it is there to stay.

Therefore we can wear the 1914 Bars at any time. We can wear the Invincibles Bars at any time, the Indestructibles Bars at any time.

If we want to make an anniversary out of it, we can wear the 1914 Bars next season - 2024 - the tenth anniversary of the year in which the AFL and Eddie refused us permission to wear the 1914 Bars on their proper centenary of that particular Champions of Australia achievement.

I have a framed 1914 Bars guernsey on the wall in our spare room, printed in subtle style with the names of all the Club’s Fallen - the names to which we are beholden, and forever grateful, and which we will never forget.

Peter Chant’s name is at the top of the first column. Pete thus comes first in the Roll of Honour on my wall.

Here’s Tredrea’s podcast for today about the Prison Bars.
Interesting that he’s also on the once a year bandwagon.
Somewhere along the way the supporters expectations have been been severely watered down.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back