Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood at our home... We should be able to wear the PB's... If Collingwoods home game then no.

We are playing in the VFL (AFL to others who have no clue) no way this would happen unfortunately. In an ideal world YES but we all know this competition is not fair on interstate teams.
Rather than take this head on we need to be diplomatic...
Until the AFL is truely national in every way there is no point trying to fight Collingwood trying to wear our PB's

We are playing in the VFL (AFL to others who have no clue) no way this would happen unfortunately. In an ideal world YES but we all know this competition is not fair on interstate teams.
Rather than take this head on we need to be diplomatic...
Until the AFL is truely national in every way there is no point trying to fight Collingwood trying to wear our PB's
Unfortunately true.

I understand and feel the same as Timmy with the pb jumper being associated with the reserves but as much as it sucks that the reserves are easy beats, we got to keep wearing the pb where possible, otherwise we devalue it even further in the eyes of the afl.

Definitely need to wear it at the highest level because that's what it deserves.

The v jumper design is just not uniquely Port Adelaide. Resembles one of Centrals earlier designs.

This will cause a storm, but i agree with him. Wearing the 'bars in the SANFL and getting creamed each week seems to have diminished it's power and significance!

If we were wearing the pb full-time in the afl, are the reserves still diminishing it's value? Do we only wear it when we're in the eight regularly? It should be our jumper regardless of performance.

who cares big deal GIF by Togetherness

That looks terrible, shouldn't even need to "compromise" The AFL own the prison bar design and can just let Port wear it. For whatever reason, they choose not to let Port wear them.
Not the AFL, the agreement is between Port and the Pies where Eddy is no longer the problem.

Not the AFL, the agreement is between Port and the Pies where Eddy is no longer the problem.
The AFL is just the mediator, but they can do whatever they want since they own all the copyrights to every club's branding. If Collingwood owned the copyright, no way Port would even be wearing it at all.

No, it's not. Remove that jumper from the reserves and its significance is diminished further within the club and the next generations.
Your statement was: "If we were wearing the pb full-time in the afl"

My answer is "WE DONT!"

If we damn-well wear them in the AFL, then it become a different scenario! Until then, having the "bars" only worn by the seconds, and getting pummelled each week by cr@p sanfl sides, IMO diminishes everything that the jumper stands for. Wear it in Showdowns, and we must keep pushing until we get to wear it in more games.

If you dont agree, that is fine. But it is my view, and Ginniver's, and it seems of many other Port people.

Your statement was: "If we were wearing the pb full-time in the afl"

My answer is "WE DONT!"

If we damn-well wear them in the AFL, then it become a different scenario! Until then, having the "bars" only worn by the seconds, and getting pummelled each week by cr@p sanfl sides, IMO diminishes everything that the jumper stands for. Wear it in Showdowns, and we must keep pushing until we get to wear it in more games.

If you dont agree, that is fine. But it is my view, and Ginniver's, and it seems of many other Port people.

I have a friend that shares your view about not wearing the PB in the SANFL and it is stirred by the emotions of the jumper losing its status, and the rest of my friends that attend these games have these emotions as well, but we do not want to stop wearing the PB anywhere. Whilst we can wear it, wear it. We hate that the reserves are not competitive in a league that we dominated, and we hate watching the b&w getting beaten by these SANFL sods, but it is not about this, and it is not how the lack of competitiveness should be dealt with. The club is dealing with the competitiveness and development properly by pushing to exit and enter a better competition, and we agree with that way of dealing with it, but unfortunately it is delayed, and so they are in negotiations about the SANFL concessions, we'll see how that goes.

In the AFL, if we have another season like 2011 where every team is beating us up, we wouldn't change the jumper, so we should not be looking at the reserves' competitiveness and pointing to the jumper. The reserves wearing the jumper should be about demonstrating to our future custodians that given free choice, the PB is the first choice, rather than it being categorised as a 'special round' jumper once per year in an AFL game only, against the Max Basheer f-heads as if they're so important to us.

Until we are at the doorstep of entering an AFL reserves competition, I would rather that we are wearing the PB in the SANFL to use it in negotiations that when playing AFL reserves games at Alberton, we are wearing the PB. This will be tough already, but it will be even tougher if beforehand the club ditches the PB at the reserves level prior to these negotiations.

Just my thoughts.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

I have a friend that shares your view about not wearing the PB in the SANFL and it is stirred by the emotions of the jumper losing its status, and the rest of my friends that attend these games have these emotions as well, but we do not want to stop wearing the PB anywhere. Whilst we can wear it, wear it. We hate that the reserves are not competitive in a league that we dominated, and we hate watching the b&w getting beaten by these SANFL sods, but it is not about this, and it is not how the lack of competitiveness should be dealt with. The club is dealing with the competitiveness and development properly by pushing to exit and enter a better competition, and we agree with that way of dealing with it, but unfortunately it is delayed, and so they are in negotiations about the SANFL concessions, we'll see how that goes.

In the AFL, if we have another season like 2011 where every team is beating us up, we wouldn't change the jumper, so we should not be looking at the reserves' competitiveness and pointing to the jumper. The reserves wearing the jumper should be about demonstrating to our future custodians that given free choice, the PB is the first choice, rather than it being categorised as a 'special round' jumper once per year in an AFL game only, against the Max Basheer f-heads as if they're so important to us.

Until we are at the doorstep of entering an AFL reserves competition, I would rather that we are wearing the PB in the SANFL to use it in negotiations that when playing AFL reserves games at Alberton, we are wearing the PB. This will be tough already, but it will be even tougher if beforehand the club ditches the PB at the reserves level prior to these negotiations.

Just my thoughts.

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Completely agree.

A regular line of argument in this thread and others is that we shouldn't change to the prison bars because of the disgrace of a club we've become under Koch. That we'd be disgracing their memory.

I think that's a defeatist argument. It's also completely separate from the actual problem.

We could be the worst club in the league, we should still have the right to wear our preferred jumper at home like everyone else does.

People are right that the performances of our club are not worthy of the jumper, but the solution is to wear the jumper and change the people. Bring those performances up to an acceptable standard. Force everyone internally and externally to the club to compare our performances with what they expect from that guernsey. Make the jumper a beacon of what we should be as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a sign of weakness.

It might, but I don’t see it. One could say it’s a strategic mistake, but weakness? It must be read as the SANFL change to be conditioned to the swap.

Why the different design from AFL to AFLW?

I don't want to be that guy, but isn't it a sliming thing?

It's why obese businessmen wear pinstripe suits.

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back