Preview Brisbane Lions v Melbourne Demons - Friday, 28 June 2024, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of bringing Ashcroft on a Sub later in the game to the raucous cheer of the Gabba crowd.
It would be a really great welcome back to the game for the young fella.
Would also be a good way to limit his game time and ease him back in to an extent. Barring an early injury. 🤞

Even then at least in the first we had opportunities and their 2 were against the win of play
They were a bit concerning to me at the game as to how easily we gave up those 4 goals from their back half.

Little bit surprising as to how many tickets are still available for this game.
Ski season.
Happy Fun GIF by hamsta.world

PLAYERINJURYTIMELINE
Will AshcroftKneeAvailable
Carter MichaelQuadAvailable
Noah AnswerthShoulder3-5 weeks
Lincoln McCarthyKneeSeason
Keidean ColemanKneeSeason
Darcy GardinerKneeSeason
Tom DoedeeKneeSeason

Funnily enough our team gets younger if Bruce comes out for Ashcroft. Not the typical prospect getting dropped for older vet we are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virtually full strength team now, the only one of the 4 ACL players who it would be fantastic to have back is Kiddy, the other 3 while very good have been very adequately replaced.

Zorks has done a terrific job in the a Kiddy type role but Kiddy's disposal is on another level, can bite off those penetrating high risk longer kicks better than Zorks IMO.

Who makes way for Will?

The candidates are apparently Reville,Brain or Lohmann and Mckenna. I have been impressed with the work of Bruce both in attack and defence. He has been amongst our top tacklers in 2 out of the last three with 6 and 5 tackles.He also makes those tackles hurt. He has drifted forward to be a consistent scoring threat kicking 3 goals. His work on the wing has freed Berry to take on his successful midfield return. His service to the forwards has been first class.
Lohmann has similarly impressive goal kicking and defensive attributes. With one haul of 5 and another of 3. While providing defensive pressure.

Mckenna has laid 1 tackle in his last 5 games as a defender.

Brain is almost the ideal Sub candidate. He can play almost anywhere. Has good pace and takes the game on when inserted.

All that said it comes down to who would Will best replace without weakening our team balance? For me it's Bruce to the back flank with Shadeau to retain his Sub role. I think Bruce's positives can be less easily replaced. Will will provide pressure and be a scoring threat from the Wing. We have Joe,Hippy and Logan all flying for marks with Cam also drifting into attack.

It pains my head to rest a quality attacking halfback player such as Mckenna but the numbers don't lie. I think Bruce will be a better defender and still provide rebound in attack.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The team is going so well at the moment. It seems to be a great balance. I agree Ashcroft should come in, but who goes out. No-one deserves to go. Assuming all are fit to play, I can see Brain dropping out to fit him into the 23. I think, if I'm making the decision it's Ah Chee to the sub. He covers fwd n back. Really liking Bruuuce's work, his kicking has been spot on, he's delivering the ball into the fwd 50 very well and his tackling is rattling bones. I wouldn't be adverse to Ashcroft being sub. Ease him into it, build match fitness. But that's unlikely.

To the game. We've still got to respect Melb. Can't rest on our recent form and expect it to happen. Lever back, Lachie Hunter back, even with Petracca out their midfield is still capable. Gawn, Oliver, Viney, won't make it easy. Their backs are solid and will be a challenge for Joe, Hippy etc.

Having said that, Oliver hasn't been real good, Big O is in ripping form, and their fwds are ordinary. We've been tougher in the middle, the tall fwds are kicking 10 between them, and our defense has been stoic. Our ball movement has been quick by hand and getting better by foot. Delivery into the fwd 50 is becoming less predictable. We're tackling hard and pressure has been at elite levels for longer. If all that continues we should have a good win. Just keep the ball away from Gawn down the line and into the fwd 50.

I also think the last few weeks our tactics, strategies, game plans, whatever you want to call it has been much better. A big tick for Fages and his team.

I think we win, but if we put in a dominant performance again a 40 or 50+ point win is on the cards.

Ashcroft has to start as a Sub surely. It is gonna be exciting to see how he goes when he is back and running in our midfield .
Well I don’t think he’s coming back through the VFL.
But I agree, the team is hot at the moment and the Sub is a great way to ease him in.

Who makes way for Will?

The candidates are apparently Reville,Brain or Lohmann and Mckenna. I have been impressed with the work of Bruce both in attack and defence. He has been amongst our top tacklers in 2 out of the last three with 6 and 5 tackles.He also makes those tackles hurt. He has drifted forward to be a consistent scoring threat kicking 3 goals. His work on the wing has freed Berry to take on his successful midfield return. His service to the forwards has been first class.
Lohmann has similarly impressive goal kicking and defensive attributes. With one haul of 5 and another of 3. While providing defensive pressure.

Mckenna has laid 1 tackle in his last 5 games as a defender.

Brain is almost the ideal Sub candidate. He can play almost anywhere. Has good pace and takes the game on when inserted.

All that said it comes down to who would Will best replace without weakening our team balance? For me it's Bruce to the back flank with Shadeau to retain his Sub role. I think Bruce's positives can be less easily replaced. Will will provide pressure and be a scoring threat from the Wing. We have Joe,Hippy and Logan all flying for marks with Cam also drifting into attack.

It pains my head to rest a quality attacking halfback player such as Mckenna but the numbers don't lie. I think Bruce will be a better defender and still provide rebound in attack.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The numbers do lie if they're wrong. McKenna had 2 tackles against Western Bulldogs 3 weeks ago and 1 against the Hawks. That's 3 in 4 games, I haven't checked any further. For context, Starcevich didn't play against Hawks and has 2 tackles in 3 games.
While nobody would argue that McKenna has been in flying form this year, we need to look forward to what our best team would look like in the final few weeks of the season (hopefully finals) and how we achieve that.
For me, McKenna has been improving week on week. He has not shown a lack of effort, that would trigger a 'message' spell in the 2s. And I don't think he will get as much ball on the half back flank in the 2s to replicate what he's trying to do in the first team. So I don't see any upside to dropping him.

Bringing in Will, will almost certainly mean that Clug (and probably Berry) plays more wing minutes. Maybe Bailey less time on the ball too, but that's less of a tweak. I think we'll see Bruce as the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back