Brisbane needs help

Remove this Banner Ad

Your equalisation assistance got taken away because you were successful and you beat Victorian clubs. The same is happening with Sydney. No one gave 2 hoots when Sydney beat WC, but when they beat a Victorian club there was hell to pay. The same will happen to GC and GWS.

You'll probably put this down to me being a Hawthorn supporter, and I don't wish to side-track this thread, but I firmly believe that no clubs should have the ability to pay more to their players as any other club

I'm pretty sure one team has to come last each season. Brisbane have been "bad" for, um, half a season and people want them to receive a priority pick?? They missed the finals by percentage last year.

It's scary how many teams are dependent on the AFL (yes, my team included). Brisbane has a dip in form and the fans desert the Gabba in droves. They really aren't that far removed from the halcyon days of the "dynasty" and they played finals in 2009. The AFL is built on a deck of cards (the same 4-7 powerhouse clubs propping the rest of us up) and, maybe, 2014 is the year we are seeing a tiny wobble.
*Melbourne* have played in more finals than us in the last 10 years....

FYI - we're not asking for it either.

It's scary how many teams are dependent on the AFL (yes, my team included). Brisbane has a dip in form and the fans desert the Gabba in droves. They really aren't that far removed from the halcyon days of the "dynasty" and they played finals in 2009. The AFL is built on a deck of cards (the same 4-7 powerhouse clubs propping the rest of us up) and, maybe, 2014 is the year we are seeing a tiny wobble.

It is not a small dip. I mean in the last 8 years or so how many times have Brisbane made the finals?

They should NOT get a Priority Pick at the Start of the Draft. Maybe after the 1st Round

Wouldn't want them getting the same treatment you got when you tanked for Daisy and Pendles hey.

You'll probably put this down to me being a Hawthorn supporter, and I don't wish to side-track this thread, but I firmly believe that no clubs should have the ability to pay more to their players as any other club

Right now Brisbane need the opposite as they need the ability to pay less so they can save money and have more room in their cap to actually go after good players.

Seriously, Brisbane Bombers - think about it. The Lions need desperate help. Essendon fans are always telling us how there are too many teams in Melbourne. And the EFC itself is utterly stuffed, debt riddled, barely scraping a crowd tonight. At least this way they get to see a team with their nickname run around every week. Opens way for true Tassie team as well. Seamless.

Problem is, that is already the name of the ticket for the 2nd Brisbane NRL team

It is not a small dip. I mean in the last 8 years or so how many times have Brisbane made the finals?

Eight years is a very convenient cut-off point. Ten years ago they were competing in their fourth consecutive grand final. Three premierships and four grand finals and then one finals in eight years is a dip. It's part of the cycle. Go down to the bottom and regenerate.

Eight years is a very convenient cut-off point. Ten years ago they were competing in their fourth consecutive grand final. Three premierships and four grand finals and then one finals in eight years is a dip. It's part of the cycle. Go down to the bottom and regenerate.

It's more than on-field though. They would probably be the worst run team in the competition and probably have been for quite a while

Do they look like making the finals in the next 2 years to you? How many more years do you think Brisbane can keep taking multi million dollar losses before they can no longer stay afloat?

Bad luck. Their three flags came at the expense of Victorian clubs because they were a frontier team. Where have all their "Lions" fans gone that were too keen to mock us a decade ago?

They deserve to be shit.

You were obviously at the 2002 or 2003 grand finals (maybe both)

Take a step back mate and have a look at the big picture

I believe if the AFL wants equalisation then all aspects should be looked. Brisbane are clearly disadvantaged in retaining younger players drafted from interstate. A retention allowance might influence players to stay in Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they look like making the finals in the next 2 years to you? How many more years do you think Brisbane can keep taking multi million dollar losses before they can no longer stay afloat?

Forever is my guess.

No northern state team will ever turn a profit independent of the AFL. Doesn't mean their doors will close.

I know it will not be popular but given their on field and off field position I think the AFL need to give Brisbane a priority pick this year with the idea that they trade that priority pick for experienced players.
You'd be joking right? We were that bad for 7 years and didn't get one at the end of it.

We've been run very poorly for quite some time which Vlad was happy to oversee. Unfortunately in a time of equalisation we are now the problem child after the AFL put Melbourne on the right step we are now the basket case. Looks like Gil is keen to help out but unfortunately it's half a decade too late.

I believe if the AFL wants equalisation then all aspects should be looked. Brisbane are clearly disadvantaged in retaining younger players drafted from interstate. A retention allowance might influence players to stay in Brisbane.

I disagree. I don't see why a team should have the ability to pay more to it's players than any other club. It's stacking weights onto an already loaded scale

You got it in the Scully year.
I mean last year, after being the worst team arguably ever, we didn't get one, and every other team voted that we not get one. The lions will need to be this bad for years to even be considered for an end of 1st rd PP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane needs help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back