Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Came across this video on youtube on the weekend:

Wasn't aware of this happening until now. This seems to be a genuine conspiracy theory - I haven't been able to find a sufficient explanation as to why this flight wasn't told to divert with Iraqi troops rolling into Kuwait. All other airlines had decided to give Kuwait a wide berth at the time BA 149 was approaching Kuwait.

Haven't been able to locate a passenger manifest to see if the story of 12 young men not being accounted for is really true or not.
I'm on the fence as to whether I believe the UK government was in on this but deliberately sending a plane load of civilians into Kuwait City so you can gather intelligence on Iraq war operations in Kuwait is completely unacceptable. All non British passengers were awarded compensation; British passengers were not because it would be seen as an admission of what they had done.

Does anyone else think there was anything in this?

I don't think this was a "conspiracy". The military move their people using civilian aircraft during peace-time all the time.
I think it was a case of bad timing, compounded by the fact that the captain of the flight delayed the flight by several hours.
Had they left England on time the aircraft would have been out of Kuwait City before the invasion. The Captain admits that. It was a bad judgement on his part.

I don't think this was a "conspiracy". The military move their people using civilian aircraft during peace-time all the time.
I think it was a case of bad timing, compounded by the fact that the captain of the flight delayed the flight by several hours.
Had they left England on time the aircraft would have been out of Kuwait City before the invasion. The Captain admits that. It was a bad judgement on his part.

The question is why were all other flights diverted while BA 149 is not? Surely Kuwati ATC knew of the impending invasion when communicating with the aircraft on approach.

As for governments using civilian aircraft to transport personnel / equipment - nothing wrong with that per se.

But continuing on with a plane full of passengers in the knowledge that a military invasion is underway? Not good and the risks certainly weren't acceptable for civilians.

The Kuwaiti secret service bloke (can't remember his name) lost his life because of the decision to land in Kuwait.

Also non British passengers were awarded compensation which suggests the Brits were in on it.

The question is why were all other flights diverted while BA 149 is not? Surely Kuwati ATC knew of the impending invasion when communicating with the aircraft on approach.

As for governments using civilian aircraft to transport personnel / equipment - nothing wrong with that per se.

But continuing on with a plane full of passengers in the knowledge that a military invasion is underway? Not good and the risks certainly weren't acceptable for civilians.

The Kuwaiti secret service bloke (can't remember his name) lost his life because of the decision to land in Kuwait.

Also non British passengers were awarded compensation which suggests the Brits were in on it.
Yes it all unravelled in the end due to the Captain's decision to delay the takeoff. But that's looking at the incident with hindsight.
I agree I think it was a calculated risk, but had it gone to plan then we wouldn't be talking about today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Conspiracy Theory British Airways Flight 149 - Last Flight to Kuwait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back