Not open for further replies.

Athomas

Premiership Player
Feb 10, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Code:
 Original Post
Not sure if this is statistics, but can be moved to the relevant board.
I've been doing the votes every match (for general interest and betting purposes ;)).

Anyone else doing this?
For anyone interested, here's my current running total:

7: Dal Santo
6: Judd, Ablett
5: Goddard,
4: Mitchell, Edwards, Pearce, Higgins, Montagna, SJohnson, Jolly, Cross, 
3: Murphy, Vince, Johnstone, Harding, Gilbee, Richardson, Fraser, Gibbs, Winderlich, BJohnson, ASelwood, Chapman, Adcock, Lloyd, Tredrea, Mitchell
2: Ottens, Mcleod, Power, Mcintosh, PBurgoyne, Didak, Goodes, Hocking, Lake, Kerr, Drummond, CCornes, Haselby, Dew  
1: Wiggins, Le Cras, Gilbert, McDonald, Motlop, Giansiracusa, Koschitzke, Swan, Bradshaw, JMcVeigh, Mcphee, Cox, Watson, Walker, Bateman

Updated Votes Weekly:

Round 17

L Montagna 21
C Judd 20
G Ablett 20
D Swan 19
L Hayes 19
J Brown 18
J Selwood 17
N Dal Santo 17
B Goddard 15
S Mitchell 14

Re: Brownlow Medal

Out of curiosity Athomas are you watching each individual game?

Most. Have missed 2-3 games so far. :(

haha why, what sticks out? :p

Nah nothing mate, seeing as i have only seen some of the matches on free to air TV but interested in seeing how you'd go about giving votes to the games you haven't seen.

Reckon you'd be bang on with the leader group at the moment though:thumbsu:

Watson should have 3-4 votes. Dal Santo 8-9

Dal Santo could easily be on 8, i've given him 3 votes for the first 2 matches, but only 1 in Round 3, Goddard clear BOG and I think Montagna deserves the 2 for setting the match up early.

As for Watson, I've given him 1 against carlton (could easily be two though), won't poll in R1 as Port won by too much. Possible 2/1 in R2 but I haven't given him any votes. :thumbsu:

Are you doing this as well? Or just notice those 2's peformances?

Dal Santo wlil be on 6 IMO.

3 for Round 1.
3 for Round 2.

Won't poll any for Round 3 unfortunately.

Goddard clear BOG.

Rest of the votes a raffle between Jones, Montagna, Riewoldt.

Dal Santo, being a midfielder, might sneak in there somewhere though.

I'm doing a similar thing, more just for an interest though. I manage to see five games a week relatively effortlessly lol, so three more isn't that hard, when I don't sleep much anyway lol. I guess it'd be handy from a Brownlow point of view - if I voted like an umpire lol... The only games I've missed so far are WBD Vs Tigers and Brisbane Vs Sydney, but I'll be watching them both tonight. Replays, torrents and recordings are tops ^_^

I think our biggest/most obvious differences amongst those players with 4 or more are:
- Griffen (WBD) seems very hard done by imo
- Edwards (Adelaide?) and Cross (haven't seen Mondays game yet) have barely registered a yip with me.

Oh and me being a Bombers fan, neither Hocking or McPhee would/should have votes yet.

Amazing how differently we can see things lol. Ablett leads my charge on 7 votes, with two guys on 6 (Judd not one of them). It's a tough caper this one. Good luck!

I'm doing a similar thing, more just for an interest though. I manage to see five games a week relatively effortlessly lol, so three more isn't that hard, when I don't sleep much anyway lol. I guess it'd be handy from a Brownlow point of view - if I voted like an umpire lol... The only games I've missed so far are WBD Vs Tigers and Brisbane Vs Sydney, but I'll be watching them both tonight. Replays, torrents and recordings are tops ^_^

I think our biggest/most obvious differences amongst those players with 4 or more are:
- Griffen (WBD) seems very hard done by imo
- Edwards (Adelaide?) and Cross (haven't seen Mondays game yet) have barely registered a yip with me.

Oh and me being a Bombers fan, neither Hocking or McPhee would/should have votes yet.

Amazing how differently we can see things lol. Ablett leads my charge on 7 votes, with two guys on 6 (Judd not one of them). It's a tough caper this one. Good luck!

Well I think I gave 3 to cross from monday's game so that's mostly it.
Griffen hmmm perhaps.
Hocking was good on debut for mine, Mcphee is very iffy, but since he kicked 3 important goals I gave him 1.

But as you said, it's all opinion, and these will vary greatly!
Good luck! :)

This is how my brownlow votes have polled so far:

6: Ablett

5: Murphy, Goddard, Mitchell, Gilbee

4: Richo, Swan

3: Gibbs, N.Brown, Vince, Edwards, Johnstone, Harding, Pearce, Stanton,
Hasleby, Drummond, Chapman, Goodes, Winderlich, Griffen, Kerr, Judd, Chornes, S.Tuck

2: McLeod, Power, Moloney, P Burgoyne, Boyd, Didak, Schammer, Bateman, J Bolton, Jolly, Fletcher, Simpson, A Selwood, Montagna, Tredrea

1: Bradshaw, Wiggins, S Johnson, Fletcher, Ball, McDonald, Higgins, Goodwin, Green, Symes, Guerra, Fevola, Adcock, McVeigh, Watson, Cross, Salopek, Bruce, Akermanis

I am yet to miss a game this season.
Interested on your thoughts.
Cheers, SUF

Looks good, similar to mine. Only large difference is Judd 6 vs 3.

Keep us updated through the year, would be good to see the correlation. :thumbsu:

Well I think I gave 3 to cross from monday's game so that's mostly it.
Griffen hmmm perhaps.
Hocking was good on debut for mine, Mcphee is very iffy, but since he kicked 3 important goals I gave him 1.

But as you said, it's all opinion, and these will vary greatly!
Good luck! :)
lol, fair enough. I think in the 'actual' Brownlow Medal, Crossy is a great chance of picking up the 3. I admit though, after now seeing the game, I gave BOG to Higgins.. and in mine, Cross hadn't registered a vote in Rounds 1 & 2 (and was lucky to sneak in for 1 against the Tigers).

It'd be a travesty if Griffen doesn't have at least one BOG (or the equivalent of one, ie 3 votes) racked up this year already imho.

Hocking has been good all year - but Port beat us easily in Round 1 (and may sweep the pool). Watson is the only chance of picking up 'real' votes in that. Hocking was important against the Dockers, but still, there were easily a few players I have above him. He had his colours lowered against the Blues and is no chance of votes. McPhee is only a chance of one vote against the Dockers (not in my top 3, but I can entertain why he'd be considered for votes)..

As you said, it's opinion and it's going to vary. I'm expecting my 'leaders' to be around the mark come Brownlow Night when the winner is announced, but it's not going to surprise me to see the umpires favour midfielders in the 'Midfielder's Award' - but I don't :p

I don't think Dal Santo will get any votes for round 3. IIRC, he got booked and while I'm sure he's still eligible, I wouldn't be surprised if the Umps shaved votes off for that little tuffle he had.

Watch out for Cross this year, may just be my opinion but I reckon he's gonna sky rocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with GrandBlue didnt slot a vote for Nicky Dal in round 3 with
montagna jones goddard kozzie gilbert all scoring my votes.

Round 1 was definite 3 votes to Nick, round 2 i gave 3 votes to Koschitzke, and two to ND, leaving Dal Santo sitting on 5 votes currently.
G.Ablett would be sitting on seven votes just being outshined by chapman (r3) and Stevie J (r2).

Great post Athomas, more periodically throughout the year would be great.

Good idea this one I did something similar last season. However I did it at the end of the year and did my votes off stats, coaches votes and my personal opinion of the games I saw.

I ended up having Ablett on top by 1 over Cooney so I backed Cooney for Charlie because of the odds.

If you do it well you can get a very nice return from the hard work you put in.

lol, fair enough. I think in the 'actual' Brownlow Medal, Crossy is a great chance of picking up the 3. I admit though, after now seeing the game, I gave BOG to Higgins.. and in mine, Cross hadn't registered a vote in Rounds 1 & 2 (and was lucky to sneak in for 1 against the Tigers).

It'd be a travesty if Griffen doesn't have at least one BOG (or the equivalent of one, ie 3 votes) racked up this year already imho.

Hocking has been good all year - but Port beat us easily in Round 1 (and may sweep the pool). Watson is the only chance of picking up 'real' votes in that. Hocking was important against the Dockers, but still, there were easily a few players I have above him. He had his colours lowered against the Blues and is no chance of votes. McPhee is only a chance of one vote against the Dockers (not in my top 3, but I can entertain why he'd be considered for votes)..

As you said, it's opinion and it's going to vary. I'm expecting my 'leaders' to be around the mark come Brownlow Night when the winner is announced, but it's not going to surprise me to see the umpires favour midfielders in the 'Midfielder's Award' - but I don't :p

Probably a large difference too, I'm largely favouring midfielders as the umpires usually do.

A few overating Richo on 3 or 4 votes. He might get a vote or 2 against Geelong but I can't see him polling against the Blues or Dogs.

Higgins three votes from monday, and one vote from round 1:thumbsu:

Cross' skills were poor, but he was still a ball magnet as always.

Not sure if this is statistics, but can be moved to the relevant board.
I've been doing the votes every match (for general interest and betting purposes ;)).

Anyone else doing this?
For anyone interested, here's my current running total:

6: Judd, Ablett
5: Goddard,
4: Mitchell, Edwards, Pearce, Higgins, Montagna, SJohnson, Jolly, Cross,
3: Murphy, Vince, Johnstone, Harding, Gilbee, Richardson, Fraser, Gibbs, Winderlich, BJohnson, ASelwood, Chapman, Adcock, Lloyd, Tredrea, Mitchell
2: Ottens, Mcleod, Power, Mcintosh, PBurgoyne, Didak, Goodes, Hocking, Lake, Kerr, Drummond, CCornes, Haselby, Dew
1: Wiggins, Le Cras, Gilbert, McDonald, Motlop, Giansiracusa, Koschitzke, Swan, Bradshaw, JMcVeigh, Mcphee, Cox, Watson, Walker, Bateman

Nice work Athomas, the trick will be though keeping it up throughout the year, I remember trying to do the brownlow votes one year but my lack of patience saw me bow out a few rounds in:eek:

Also, how are you voting, personal opinion? Or trying to vote how you believe the umps will?

Nice work Athomas, the trick will be though keeping it up throughout the year, I remember trying to do the brownlow votes one year but my lack of patience saw me bow out a few rounds in:eek:

Also, how are you voting, personal opinion? Or trying to vote how you believe the umps will?

Mainly trying to vote how the umps will, probably some games will have slight differences in bias as I will have gone to them and probably seen the game 1st hand, making decisions easier.

Also note, I've made some minor changes, changing Hocking's votes to Fletcher in the 2nd ess game etc. Nothing major. If wanted, i'll post my votes up for the round (the next being round 4). Others welcome to too. :)

As for Watson, I've given him 1 against carlton (could easily be two though), won't poll in R1 as Port won by too much. Possible 2/1 in R2 but I haven't given him any votes. :thumbsu:

Are you doing this as well? Or just notice those 2's peformances?

Think Watson will get 1 from the Port game, as the game was tighter than the scoreboard showed.

IMO go something like

3. D.Pearce
2. P.Burgoyne
1. J.Watson

Here is one I have been doing.

14 Votes
Gary Ablett

8 Votes

Nick Dal Santo

7 Votes
Chris Judd