Brownlow Medal: Should the name be changed to Haydn Bunton Medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toots Hibbert

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Oct 14, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man U,Packers,Feyenoord
Before the AFL became the national league for Australian Rules Football each state competition had an annual award for the best and fairest player.

South Australia has the Magarey Medal awarded annually since 1897 with the exception of 1916 -18 and 1942 - 44.

Western Australia has the Sandover Medal, awarded annually since 1921.

Victoria has the Brownlow Medal, awarded annually since 1924 with the exception of 1942 - 44.

Tasmania had the Lietch Medal from 1930 - 34 and 1945 to 2000.

Now that we have a national competition is it appropriate to celebrate the tradition of only one state competition in the award for the best player in the national league? I would argue no.

It would be great to reflect the traditions of all the state leagues in the name of the best and fairest award for the national league. One possibility would be to include all the names in the title but Magarey Sandover Brownlow Lietch Medal is a mouthful!

South Australian's might want to argue that their medal has the longest tradition. Victorians might want to argue that the AFL is the continuation of the VFL and West Australians might argue that the Sandover Medal has the longest continuous history by virtue of being awarded throughout the WWII years. The problem remains that each award represents a state competition.

I would like to nominate Haydn Bunton (Snr) as the most appropriate footballer to give his name to the award for best player in our national competition.

Many believe that Haydn Bunton is the best player ever of Aussie Rules. He has connections with four states. He was born in New South Wales, was recruited by Fitzroy in 1931 playing 119 games before being recruited by Subiaco in 1938 at the height of his powers and playing 72 games there, then finishing at Port Adelaide in 1945 with 17 games. Bunton won 3 Brownlow Medals and three Sandover medals in an incredible career.

It's time to celebrate the AFL's best footballer with a truly national award - THE HAYDN BUNTON MEDAL.

.........................................................................................................................
buntonkick.jpg

Career summary from the AFL website
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=halloffame&spg=legends

Haydn Bunton senior (Fitzroy/Subiaco/Port Adelaide)
5/7/1911-5/9/1955
Inducted: 1996 Elevated to Legend: 1996
Champion rover through the Depression years. A brilliant runner and ball-winner.
Playing career: 1931-1942; 1945 (Fitzroy 1931-1937, 1942, Subiaco 1938-1941, PA 1945)
Games: 208 (Fitz 119, Sub 72, PA 17) Goals: 427 (Fitz 207, Sub 190, PA 30)
Player honors: Brownlow Medal 1931, 1932, 1935, 2nd Brownlow Medal 1934; Sandover Medal 1938, 1939, 1941; Fitz best and fairest 1934, 1935; Fitz leading goalkicker 1936, 1937; Fitz captain 1932, 1936, 1937.
Coaching record: Fitzroy 1936 (18 games, 2 wins, 16 losses)

Lance Uppercut said:
yes. let's change it for teh sake of changing it.

stupid idea.

like it or not, the AFL has it's roots in the VFL, and the Brownlow Medal is part of that.

It's a national comp now, you don't need to change the name of the medal ffs
But they changed the name of the whole competition ;)

FIGJAM said:
Don't the Sandover and Magerey Medals still exist??

We fell on our sword to get this national competition up and running and we get to keep the Brownlow and our Premiership counts.

Now sod off!!

exactly i dont think its right to change the name of the medal ever.

FIGJAM said:
Don't the Sandover and Magerey Medals still exist??

We fell on our sword to get this national competition up and running and we get to keep the Brownlow and our Premiership counts.

Now sod off!!

I'm with you on this, I can't see the need to change it for the sake of change. I haven't seen footballers win the medal and then be unhappy because it was originally a VFL award. It is largely accepted that the National Comp's roots are indebted to and embedded in the old VFL, therefore I have no problem respecting a tradition that came from that comp.

I can't see Mark Ricciuto, Adam Goodes, Ben Cousins, Jason Akermanis etc. lining up to hand back their medals until the name is changed. The fact of the name's origin is irrelevant, it's the history and the great people who have won this medal in years gone by that deserves to remain in order to keep the honour alive. As for the name 'Brownlow', you don't get a medal named after you unless you provided excellent service to football, therefore the honour and dignity of the Brownlow family also needs to be considered in this equation. Completely unnnecessary to change it.

Lach72 said:
Why is the league's best player given a medal named after an administrator? Bunton was an out and out champion, and his son was a great coach too!

That's the way things were done back in the 1920's when the medal was first awarded.

Lach72 said:
Why is the league's best player given a medal named after an administrator? Bunton was an out and out champion, and his son was a great coach too!
Who cares?! It's history!!

Syd Coventry is and was one of, if not the most acomplished player in VFL history, yet he has no medals named after him!

But that's not much of an argument. In fact, it isn't one! The Browlow's the Browlow!!

The end.

Makes sense...too much sense for the AFL.

Do the AFLPA or Coaches Association have a name for their MVP (the awards that matters more than what a bunch of Umpires think IMO)?

I hope they hear of this idea & pick it up & the Brownlow dies the death it deserves.

Great read BTW TH, good bit of research, thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIGJAM said:
Who cares?! It's history!!

Syd Coventry is and was one of, if not the most acomplished player in VFL history, yet he has no medals named after him!

But that's not much of an argument. In fact, it isn't one! The Browlow's the Browlow!!

The end.
The discussion is not about who is the best player ever, but which player best represents a national award. Haydn Bunton has links with four states and played senior football in three. He was also possibly the best ever. That's why in this day and age he would make a fitting choice to name a medal after. The history of the Brownlow is to be respected and will be associated with the history of the VFL. In a few short years the name Haydn Bunton Medal will roll off the tongue as naturally as if it had always been. Bunton is a figure from history and his name unites all the states.

Let's not forget that the Victorian clubs were in serious financial strife and going national was the only way of preventing collapse. Let's recognise the fact of a national competition with appropriate names. :)

Lach72 said:
Ahem...AFL!!
Errr...I realise this. I'm just making the point that ******ed argument by your fellow interstaters stating that it should be named after a great player, is stoopid.

It didn't matter for 80 years, so why's it all of a sudden an issue whether the medal is named after a good player, or after a bootstrap. Fact is it doesn't matter one bit!

And like I said, you've still got your traditions in your poxy bush leagues, so us keeping a couple in the greatest league in the land, which we invited you to join, isn't much to ask.

Now sod off!!

The Bownlow will be eclipsed in the long term by the coaches and players awards. There is no need to change the name of the medal as it will die naturally.

FIGJAM said:
Errr...I realise this. I'm just making the point that ******ed argument by your fellow interstaters stating that it should be named after a great player, is stoopid.

It didn't matter for 80 years, so why's it all of a sudden an issue whether the medal is named after a good player, or after a bootstrap. Fact is it doesn't matter one bit!

And like I said, you've still got your traditions in your poxy bush leagues, so us keeping a couple in the greatest league in the land, which we invited you to join, isn't much to ask.

Now sod off!!
My, you're an angry little ant aren't you? It's all about about inclusiveness (that's a big word but I'm sure you can get someone to explain it to you!) After you took the best players and then the cash we gave to prop up your league in the big smoke (funny, our poxy bush leagues were able to do that), I'm sure you can find it within your pea-heart to share?! Now, put the plate for your missing front teeth back in and back to your date with your sister.

Toots Hibbert said:
The discussion is not about who is the best player ever, but which player best represents a national award. Haydn Bunton has links with four states and played senior football in three. He was also possibly the best ever. That's why in this day and age he would make a fitting choice to name a medal after. The history of the Brownlow is to be respected and will be associated with the history of the VFL. In a few short years the name Haydn Bunton Medal will roll off the tongue as naturally as if it had always been. Bunton is a figure from history and his name unites all the states.
Honour him in some other way, just leave the tradition of our league alone.

It's like ANZAC Day. Other teams see the success of it and then want to steal it, without considering that there are at least half a dozen days during the season, for which they could establish a tradition of their own. People are lazy and yours is a lazy idea and seriously ignorant of history and tradition.

Toots Hibbert said:
Let's not forget that the Victorian clubs were in serious financial strife and going national was the only way of preventing collapse. Let's recognise that with appropriate names for the awards of the national comp.
Haha! Yeah...my company's not brining in enough cash, so we've decided to expand globally...that'll fix her!! :D

There were some clubs struggling, mine included I dare say, but the league was far from broke and the expansion was a practical business move. And I doubt it was cheap!

Garbage argument for a garbage idea. Now sod off!!

Have to disagree with this proposal. As others have stated the medal gains its greatest value from those who have won it in the past. I think it also relevant to acknowledge it was the VFL that took the risk and expanded their league to cover Sydney and Brisbane so why shouldn't the new national league retain some of their tradition.

Regards

S. Pete

Lach72 said:
My, you're an angry little ant aren't you? It's all about about inclusiveness (that's a big word but I'm sure you can get someone to explain it to you!)
Ooooo, a shot at my intelligence. Oh well, if it helps your ego... :rolleyes:

And on inclusiveness, what else exactly is making you feel left out so we can share and make you feel better.

MCG having the Grand Final there might be one, but there's only one other stadium seriously capable of hosting it and it's not too good for footy. Get your stadiums up to 70K+ and we can start thinking about it.

Lach72 said:
After you took the best players and then the cash we gave to prop up your league in the big smoke (funny, our poxy bush leagues were able to do that), I'm sure you can find it within your pea-heart to share?!
So we should find it in our "pea heart" to break the one and only tradition of the VFL currently in the AFL. A tad hypocritical don't you think tin-man??

Lach72 said:
Now, put the plate for your missing front teeth back in and back to your date with your sister.
How did you know I was Tasmanian?? :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Medal: Should the name be changed to Haydn Bunton Medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back