Bruce's Disposal

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, like many of you I had the displeasure of sitting through 2 hours of that absolute crap dished out in bouts of red and blue today. I also had the displeasure of listening to the loud rantings of a gang of drunk blokes sitting behind me. While most of the said rants were almost intolerable, one stood out: 'BRUCE, it's no good getting 30 touches if you turn 20 of them over'. In all his drunken wisdom this guy proved why I'd be surprised to see Bruce on our list beyond 2011. Sure he's here, there and everywhere but whenever he gets the bloody ball it's either a horrible handball or a helicopter punt. This is 80% of the time as well! A nothing player who's been carrying in through the years by putting in his shift on the basic stats sheet but never really taking a step up. For a pick in the 60's he's good value but it's time to move on. When (if) Wonna comes back maybe Bennell can take his role. McNamara maybe? Time to swing the axe one final time...

Yeah he won't be there in my opinion. If he doesn't turn the ball over himself he handballs it to a team mate who's under severe pressure from an opposition player. Sad but he's got to go. Joel Macdonald should have his spot.

Well, like many of you I had the displeasure of sitting through 2 hours of that absolute crap dished out in bouts of red and blue today. I also had the displeasure of listening to the loud rantings of a gang of drunk blokes sitting behind me. While most of the said rants were almost intolerable, one stood out: 'BRUCE, it's no good getting 30 touches if you turn 20 of them over'. In all his drunken wisdom this guy proved why I'd be surprised to see Bruce on our list beyond 2011. Sure he's here, there and everywhere but whenever he gets the bloody ball it's either a horrible handball or a helicopter punt. This is 80% of the time as well! A nothing player who's been carrying in through the years by putting in his shift on the basic stats sheet but never really taking a step up. For a pick in the 60's he's good value but it's time to move on. When (if) Wonna comes back maybe Bennell can take his role. McNamara maybe? Time to swing the axe one final time...

Lost my respect today.......and by that I mean you!
He was one of our best today......why the Bruce hate?
I could pick..........let me see 16 to 18 worse players than him today.

I was astounded that Bruce was taking the kickins.

He wasn't even a good kick when he was in his prime. He also gives off too many handballs to teammates underpressure. I thought that he was ****ing ordinary today.

Lost my respect today.......and by that I mean you!
He was one of our best today......why the Bruce hate?
I could pick..........let me see 16 to 18 worse players than him today.

accepting mediocrity. haven't once said he was the worst today. Just that he's the one of the 3 experienced players (McDonald and Green the others) who were chosen to stay around. Junior has been in our best weekly while Green's efforts speak for themselves. Bruce has no more upside (yeah I used that word) and won't be around for too long. Tommy Mac needs a chance to prove himself and him in for Bruce is ideal.Even Joel Macdonald could come in, he's someone who does have a part to play in our future

Shocking disposal. Sure it hits the target but he gets way too much air time on his kicks, even his handballs so even if we have created the overlap and loose man by the time makes it to the player he's accounted for.

I thought he was ordinary today, and his days might be coming to an end. Would rather have Morton Bail or strauss in his position.

He does rack up touches, but doesnt use the ball well out of the back half. Was talking to my mate at the game about his shit kicks and right on que a mongrel floating punt down the members wing.

Bring in the young fellas for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Bruce wasn't the worst today, knows when and where to run but he butched the ball today. He actually looks like he doesn't want to kick it, he looks for the handball first but then tries to force it.

One that really sticks in my mind was deep in the backline and a melbourne player leading hard on the wing, he looked at it but then turned back and handballed it to Moloney putting him under all sorts of pressure and he tried to kick it to the player on the wing (that bruce should have kicked to) but now he was covered and the kick to him much more difficult - Moloneys kick went out of bounds on the full.

It was just rubbish, reminds me of players who wont take a shot at goal so do a risky kick to another player in a worse position who now has even more pressure on them to kick the goal.

The jury is still out for mine. Maybe drop him and Sylvia, to show we're putting the foot down, but for mine they're still both very important to us.

I think he was ok today & its hard to hit a player whaen no one provides a target forward of him. He's not the best disposer of the ball but lets not blame him for how we played.

I'd rather the ball in his hands to turn over if he stuffs up than in the hands of the opposition.

I counted 4 separate incidents on Saturday where Bruce's reluctance to kick resulted in a handball to someone under pressure. He consistently passes the ball to someone who is in a much worse position than he is. More often than not the recipient is stationary, facing away from goal with no obvious choice to dispose to.
I do agree that there are times when there is no-one up the field to kick to, but too often Bruce is the reason we are forced under pressure when it looks as though we have worked our way out of it.
He has been a champion of the club and the game, but I think it's time to give MacDonald, McNamara, Cheney et al a chance while Brucey has a rest and rethinks this facet of his game.

He has been a champion of the club and the game, but I think it's time to give MacDonald, McNamara, Cheney et al a chance while Brucey has a rest and rethinks this facet of his game.

He has been a great player and has provided some wonderful memories for the Melbourne faithful over the years, would hate for him to be remembered for staying on too long, he accumulates but he doesnt do much in the way of hurting the oppisition anymore, i dont want to remember him as this kind of player, since the zone defence has came in, quick piercing passes like Daveys have become the benchmark for disposal and Bruce just doesnt have that in his arsenal, even his drop punts have that horrible loop on them that seem to take forever to hit a guy on the lead. He used to be able to dance & weave a bit to get around blokes but that has gone. :(

Adem Yze, the clanger king (seriously look up the stats), badly miss-hit balls because of his ridiculously high ball drop. I dont know what happened to Bruce but 6 years ago he started doing a similar ball drop thing and the magic has never come back. In his prime Bruce was a poor man's James Hird*; deft body use, devastating in front of goals and excellent by foot.

Sorry Brucey but time may be up. I would love you to eek out one more but there are others coming through.

* a poor man's James Hird is still way above an average player.

Bruce has always had a bad ball drop. He barely guides it at all. It's a case of letting it drop and hoping for the best. That's a recipe for disaster if you're doing anything but running in a straight line.

That ****ING INJURY, DAMN THE SAINTS, DAMN THEM TO HECK. this is why i dont feel sorrow for saints now, they destroyed imo bruces career

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce's Disposal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back