Bryce Gibbs: half-forward flank next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Even though we're talking up our midfield for next year as one of the best with Gibbs, Judd, Stevens, Murphy, etc. up and running and firing. I've been wondering if Bryce will be played as a half forward next year and kept out of the thick of the action until he's ready to step up into the midfield.

The two goals he kicked against Melbourne showed he can very a dangerous player if the defenders give him just a sniff. That free kick he drew against Melbourne reminded me of Hird as his best and he sucked the defender in beautifully with his use of the body.

Gibbs famously kicked 6 goals and had 36 possessions in the SANFL as a 17 year old and can kick a goal.

Much like Footscray, we lack a tall CHF now that Kennedy and Lance are gone and might have to find a plan B. With an inexperienced backline that was one of the worst in the AFL this year, we will need Waite to play back at times to steady the ship.

Gibbs should be played as a half forward in 2008.

Much like Hird at the start of his brilliant career and push up to the flanks after the bounce to play as a midfielder.

This would also create more space for Fevola and Fisher to lead into when our midfielders get their hands on the ball. The opposition would have to play a mobile opponent, not a tall on Gibbs when he starts on a HFF and pushes up the ground. Yet Gibbs has the height and ability to exploit most HBB in one on one contests because he is good overhead and can read the play.

This move would also add more strings to our bow and not cause much of a change in game plan when the equally mobile Waite is thrown forward. I feel Gibbs has the height to play half forward, but he will put on the necessary bulk with two more pre-seasons and then he will play as permanent midfielder.

He will be a similar size to Hird in three years and potentially a similar player.

Bryce looks all of 190 cms in this recent photo from training.

training-291097-300-10-gibb.jpg

I can see Gibbs becoming the player we need when we need a boost in the midfield, a player to set up play from backline or a player to create or kick the matchwinning goal. Just sit back and enjoy the ride when Judd, Gibbs, Murphy and Walker start hitting their straps week in, week out. :eek: :thumbsu: :)

Your thoughts?

IMO Gibbs will spend most of the year up forward with occassional rotations through midfield.

If the midfield could cope without Simmo I would like to see him spend time fwd also. In one of his early games he showed he could read the ball coming into the fwd line and he has that side step that would enable him to get around a player and kick a goal.

For me our most dangerous fwd 6 would be

Betts Fev Fish
Simmo Waite Gibbs

2 goalkicking smalls and increased defensive pressure.
4 genuine marking targets + Simmo underrated overhead.
Carrotts handy across HF but just dosnt kick enough goals.
Good to surround a creative handballer (Gibbs) with some pace and finnishing skills

Would be better than seeing him in the back pocket like Pagan had him.

For a minute there I thought that said

"Would be better seeing him in the back pocket where Pagan had him." :eek::eek:

Half-forward flank is definitely somewhere I wouldn't mind seeing Gibbsy rotated, in fact I wouldn't mean seeing some of the other mids rotated thru there. I see Hoops, JR, Walks and Gibbsy and even Carrots (187cm and can grab) as being able to rotate thru the forward line to push forward and snag a couple.

I'd imagine a number of our Mid's will have to play HFF pushing up throughout the year. I see our best 22 looking something like this (pending PSD selections.)

B. Jamison O'hAilpin Anderson
HB. Scotland Thornton Walker
C. Simpson Carrazzo Stevens
HF. Houlihan Waite Gibbs
F. Betts Fevola Fisher
Foll. Hampson Judd Murphy
Int. Cloke Hadley Jackson Bower

Emg. Hartlett Grigg Kreuzer

Would like to see it. Showed in the games vs Lions and Saints that he can lead up and take a grab.
It would b good to see him continue his on-ball apprenticeship, but definately rotate u0 forward and make other teams have to mind him rather than the other way round.

Just a question, no0one wants Hoops, Walker, Gibbs and Scotty in the backine........who is the skilled smalls that are going to receive to deliver up forward?

They can't all play on-ball and rotate forward. Carrazzo is to valuable in and under...........Anderson is not ready to assume that responsibility yet.

IMO Walker will go back there.

Would like to see it. Showed in the games vs Lions and Saints that he can lead up and take a grab.
It would b good to see him continue his on-ball apprenticeship, but definately rotate u0 forward and make other teams have to mind him rather than the other way round.

Just a question, no0one wants Hoops, Walker, Gibbs and Scotty in the backine........who is the skilled smalls that are going to receive to deliver up forward?

They can't all play on-ball and rotate forward. Carrazzo is to valuable in and under...........Anderson is not ready to assume that responsibility yet.

I think Scotland will continue to spend most of his time at HB, setting up the team and also chopping off attacking drives by the opposition, as he did this year. I agree, I think Walker will spend a lot of time in defense and personally, I like him there, where he can shut down a dangerous opponent and still rack up 20 odd touches, also rotating through the midfield. IMO, the best game he's played for the club was the 2nd Demons game in 2006, where he absolutely smashed Robertson, picking up ~20 touches and playing with fantastic ferocity.

I've been asking this question all year to all those who keep saying to move those players from defence. Never get any answers as to who's going to play in defence in their place though!

I still think it'll be a good thing for Gibbs to have spent a year in the back pocket. Although i criticised Pagan for a lot of things he did, in terms of Bryce's devlopment, im glad he played there

Next year though, i want him in the middle. Obviously seeing as he's young and still not so strong, he couldn't be a permanent midfielder, so this idea of playing him on the HFF is a good idea, as long as he spends plenty of time rotating through the middle though

I'd like to see Walker and Grigg or even Benjamin/Jackson play on the wings to allow Gibbs to start up forward when they get a game. Hopefully Anderson plays back for most of the year and allows Walker, Simpson and Gibbs to play further up the ground.

Judd, Stevens, Hadley, Walker, Carrazzo, Simpson and Bentick should start on the ball before Gibbs.

Bryce could easily play as a tall marking flanker like Robert Murphy from the Dogs who is really a midfielder. But he'd be as dangerous as Steve Johnson up forward after seeing Bryce step through those four Roos defenders and handball to Waite running into goal against Richmond.

Gary Ablett jnr. started his career as a forward before moving onto the ball.

I have my doubts over Hartlett and Edwards standing up next year, but I'd rather Jake in our best 22 than Wiggins.

With Lappin retiring, I think Houlihan will return to the forwardline.

Gibbs, Houla and even Russell playing half forward would give us three lead up flankers who can hit a target and get the ball up the ground. All three players would do more than Wiggins when they have the ball in their hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd certainly rotate him through there but I'd still like to see him get a bit of time as a starting mid.

Pretty much agree with this. I'd start him on a HFF, and then rotate him onto the wing in bursts. This way, he gets a run in the midfield, but keeps him away from the hussle and bussle of the centre square.

I'd imagine a number of our Mid's will have to play HFF pushing up throughout the year. I see our best 22 looking something like this (pending PSD selections.)

HF. Houlihan Waite Gibbs
F. Betts Fevola Fisher

:thumbsu:

HF. Houlihan Waite Gibbs
F. Betts Fevola Fisher

Aisake?

HF. Houlihan Waite Gibbs
F. Betts Fevola Fisher

I'd swap Jamison for FB, O'hAilpin for CHB and Thornton as BP.

And Hampson / Aisake for ruck depending on who is more developed

I'd swap Jamison for FB, O'hAilpin for CHB and Thornton as BP.

And Hampson / Aisake for ruck depending on who is more developed

I think you could rotate the three of them depending on the match-ups. I'd prefer Thornton at CHB because his kicking is the best of the 3.

I wouldn't be playing Aisake until he had 5 or 6 games in the reserves. I don't think you can start Hampson and Aisake in the one side straight up because they're both in the early stages of developing right now.

I think you could rotate the three of them depending on the match-ups. I'd prefer Thornton at CHB because his kicking is the best of the 3.

I wouldn't be playing Aisake until he had 5 or 6 games in the reserves. I don't think you can start Hampson and Aisake in the one side straight up because they're both in the early stages of developing right now.
He's had these last year, and was going to be elevated when he got injured. Why wait another 5-6 games?

Jamieson is still on the rookie list, so it might not be the best idea to have him in the senior 22. Having said that, it is a little surprising the club didn't promote him onto the senior list.

Isn't because we have no veteran we are able to have a nominated rookie. This frees up a spot on the senior list. That's my understanding of why he wasn't promoted

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs: half-forward flank next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back