Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I have been giving this bloke big wraps for years and am concerned that I have maybe overrated him a touch.I know he does not get much opportunity to play midfield because he is extremely versatile.I just thought by now he would be equal to Murph and grabbing games by the scruff.
I am probably being a touch critical but am seeking honest opinions.

I think it is easy to slip into getting frustrated with Gibbs but hes 23 averages 22 disp and 6marks which is down a bit this year but its early days. He also had a stinker against the Bumbers but who didnt?

I think if you look at most players stats he is getting to around the right age to start really kicking some arse but I think its 2 years away from the time to start getting displeased with him.

Here's the thing with Gibbs, when he has the ball, I feel very safe, he is normally a very good decision maker especially under pressure, he stays calm and is able to think quick. He is prone to the odd mistake here and there but who isn't? Got a very good kick but his handball ability is also just as good.

The issue I have with him is his aggression, he doesn't have much. He almost always allows opposition players to pick up the ball first so he can tackle them instead of putting his head over it and winning the footy. This is what frustrates me about him, by allowing your opponents to pick the ball up first you give them a chance to hand it off to a team mate unless the tackle is perfect which in most cases it isn't (and that goes to every AFL player not just Gibbs, very hard to lay a perfect tackle).

Opposition players know this as well, you can just see how they're not afraid to contest the ground ball with Gibbs because they know he isn't going to go after the ball. He worries about his head just a little too much.

If he would be more aggressive, then he would have no problem slotting into the middle and taking more games by the scruff imo.

There might also be something in the fact that Murph had his break out season last year. People are probably thinking that seeing he was drafted one year later that it's now Gibbs' turn. They are very different types and I'm prepared to give him more time to reach the upper echelons.

He's not far off AA standard. When players are so smooth they make the difficult look easy they are marked hard. I think the trouble at the moment is that when he plays that floating quarterback role it looks as if he is shirking the tough stuff when his skill is getting him into space rather than him avoiding contests. Nonetheless I would like to see him getting his hands dirtier in the middle too but he plays the role he is told to.

Gibbs is a good player, I don't know where people get this idea of him playing on the ball comes from. Is it because he's a non KPP number 1 pick? He plays wing and half back flank and goes on the ball for short spells to get our rotations up. He's a similar player to Goddard. Plays that kick behind the play and instigates a lot of our attacks from the back half. The reason he doesn't play a lot on the ball is because he struggles to find the footy there and struggles to make an impact on games. We often try him on the ball and it works sometimes but not very often. This is why Ratts and Co. do not play him there for long periods of time, because they are aware of what he can and can't do and are aware that it hurts us having him out of the game. He is not a natural centerman but he is very good at his natural position hanging behind the play, reading things and using his skill and extra height to win the ball in a bit more space and set us up going forward.

This is like saying Henderson is a good player, lets put him on the ball, no, it's not his natural position. Versatility is great but all players have a role and position that suites them best and Gibbs is off a flank or a wing playing a kick behind play.

People on here who saw Gibbs in the wrong light, as a Murphy or Judd type who can take games apart on the ball have got their hope up and are disappointed. Then there will be people who see Gibbs for what he is, those people will be relatively pleased.

Yes we are losing the clearances, especially center clearances far too often, but we are still winning games due to our solid and great rebound backline and Gibbs is a big part of that. We need Gibbs in the role he is playing and we also need 1 more gun midfielder, especially with Carrazzo out.

Still baffled why he's playing HBF and defensive roles. First time in 5 years we have a fully fit defence on the park and he's still left in a position which doesn't maximise the treturn he can give the team.

Chuck him at HFF running into the midfield FFS Ratts...it worked pretty well last year if you don't remember!

Still baffled why he's playing HBF and defensive roles. First time in 5 years we have a fully fit defence on the park and he's still left in a position which doesn't maximise the treturn he can give the team.

Chuck him at HFF running into the midfield FFS Ratts...it worked pretty well last year if you don't remember!

He also did pretty well when thrown into the middle in the last quarter against the Bombers and with a good defence and Yazz back it is surely his time to get a go up the ground a bit.

Gibbs is a good player, I don't know where people get this idea of him playing on the ball comes from. Is it because he's a non KPP number 1 pick? He plays wing and half back flank and goes on the ball for short spells to get our rotations up. He's a similar player to Goddard. Plays that kick behind the play and instigates a lot of our attacks from the back half. The reason he doesn't play a lot on the ball is because he struggles to find the footy there and struggles to make an impact on games. We often try him on the ball and it works sometimes but not very often. This is why Ratts and Co. do not play him there for long periods of time, because they are aware of what he can and can't do and are aware that it hurts us having him out of the game. He is not a natural centerman but he is very good at his natural position hanging behind the play, reading things and using his skill and extra height to win the ball in a bit more space and set us up going forward.

This is like saying Henderson is a good player, lets put him on the ball, no, it's not his natural position. Versitality is great but all players have a role and position that suites them best and Gibbs is off a flank or a wing playing a kick behing play.

People on here who saw Gibbs in the wrong light, as a Murphy or Judd type who can take games appart on the ball have got their hope up and are dissapointed. Then there will be people who see Gibbs for what he is, those people will be relatiely pleased.

Yes we are losing the clearances, especially center clearances far too often, but we are still winning games due to our solid and great rebound backline and Gibbs is a big part of that. We need Gibbs in the role he is playing and we also need 1 more gun midfielder, especially with Carrazzo out.
Exactly... Bryce Gibbs will always be played where the team needs his qualities most. He wins his 1 on 1 contest most of the time and sets us up beautifully with calmness and great disposal when he is winning his position, he plays across half back alot because of his skill as it is the most important part of the ground to not make mistakes in.

The OP is wandering why he is not the same as Murph, well its not hard to work out they are both very different players, Murph is a hard as nails inside mid who can hurt when he does have control of the ball as he hits the scoreboard and Gibbs is more of a silky, cool outside utility who plays bigger then he is and fills roles that Murph is not able to do.

Both players are hugely important to Carlton and threads like this one only highlight a lack of knowledge and understanding, Get off the blokes back and support him FFS....:cool:

Why isn't Goddard as good as Hayes or Dal Santo, its the same arguement and why doesn't Deledio play exclusively in the midfield???

www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806316

At times, Laidler, Duigan, Yarran, Jamison and Russell have been absent or less than 100% due to injury or form.

We need a steadying hand down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the number one thing with Bryce is that he plays the percentages at all times. This means often laying off at times to put himself in best position, and trying to keep his feet in a contest rather than diving in with reckless abandon (which would be nice to see at times). The upshot of this is he very rarely, if ever loses a contest.

Don't equate this to any sort of softness...has no problem putting his head over the ball, but it certainly can come across as a lack on intensity at times.

I do harbour concerns that that the longer we keep him out of a full time midfield rotation, the less likely he is to develop the balanced inside/outside midfielders game we would all like him to have. The loose man stuff becomes learned behaviour.

Laidler's being our best decision maker coming out of defense puts paid to any plans Ratts may have had for more midfield time for Bryce...at least for now.

Exactly... Bryce Gibbs will always be played where the team needs his qualities most. He wins his 1 on 1 contest most of the time and sets us up beautifully with calmness and great disposal when he is winning his position, he plays across half back alot because of his skill as it is the most important part of the ground to not make mistakes in.

The OP is wandering why he is not the same as Murph, well its not hard to work out they are both very different players, Murph is a hard as nails inside mid who can hurt when he does have control of the ball as he hits the scoreboard and Gibbs is more of a silky, cool outside utility who plays bigger then he is and fills roles that Murph is not able to do.

Both players are hugely important to Carlton and threads like this one only highlight a lack of knowledge and understanding, Get off the blokes back and support him FFS....:cool:

Why isn't Goddard as good as Hayes or Dal Santo, its the same arguement and why doesn't Deledio play exclusively in the midfield???

Maybe you have not fully understood what I was trying to say because if you read my 1st post you would see that I have been supporting him with gusto for many years and to say that I have a lack of knowledge and understanding is just plain incorrect.I asked for honest opinions as I believe he was recruited as a midfielder.There is no need to get you're back up!

I still see him as a fantastic player but Just Kruezing do you think there is still alot of upside to him because I hope so.

Bryce Gibbs oozes with talent but has always been an extremely lazy footballer!!
He wont step up alone when the team needs a lift, seems he'll only step up when he's mates around him do.Isn't captain material in my opinion or a leader.
Very frustrating player as the guy could be a superstar.

Bryce Gibbs oozes with talent but has always been an extremely lazy footballer!!
He wont step up alone when the team needs a lift, seems he'll only step up when he's mates around him do.Isn't captain material in my opinion or a leader.
Very frustrating player as the guy could be a superstar.
Group think.

Gibbs was our best player against North before Judd went off in the second half and stepped up to get us home.

Bryce was keeping us in that game with Swallow dominating the midfield.

There is an expectation that he must be able to go in to the mid field and take the game by the throat. He is not that type of player.
Harker is basing an assessment on pre season interclub form, fair go, Juddy and co. were limited during this time. It would not be difficult to look like a superstar doing drills against our 2nd and 3rd stringers, as opposed to the prospect of consistently taking on the gun mids of the comp.

Bryce Gibbs is predominantly a half back or half forward who can pinch hit in the middle. He is not the in and under hard nut, nor does he shirk the contest. He is 2 inches short of being a superstar KPP. He thrives on having a challenging role to play. His greatest assets are his ability to read the play and his excellent skill set.

He is not a genuine midfielder, I would rather have him playing behind or ahead of the ball, rather than trying to be at all of the contests like a gun mid. Bryce may not be the next superstar midfielder, but do not underestimate his value to the team. He has the potential to be a rock (probably in defence) for a decade to come.

I may be behind the times, but why is everyone so keen to push any player with ability, under 6' 5" tall, to be a mid?

He was probably recruited as a midfielder because that is where he dominated as a junior. Russell was also recrutied as a midfielder and was a huge disappointment as a top ten pick, until he was used where he was best suited in the backline.

Gibbs is a very good reader of the play and a beautiful user of the ball. Playing him in the backline means he can give us numbers at the contest, and a way out once we win it. He is also able to go through the middle as required and is dangerous going forward. That flexibility is probably more important than just being a midfielder.

Not all players are going to make it where they played their junior footy, the trick is to use them where they are most effective for their team. No-one could make an argument for Geelong using Ling as a full forward instead of in the middle, where he eventually had the most influence during their period of dominance.

Not all HBF's are spuds.

AA midfielders/mid sized utilities
2007 draft - 0
2006 draft - 1 (Selwood)
2005 draft - 3 (Murphy, Pendlebury, Thomas)
2004 draft - 0
2003 draft - 1 (Cooney)
2002 draft - 1 (Goddard)
2001 draft - 12 (Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Dal Santo, Kelly, Johnson, Mitchell, Montagna, Ablett Jr, Swan, Boyd)
2000 draft - 4 (Didak, S Burgoyne, Kerr, K Cornes)

I think the above list puts into perspective where Gibbs should be. Most AA midfielders have been around for a decade. Only one midfielder from Gibbs' draft has made AA and none since, although a few are threatening too (Swans Josh Kennedy being one).

3 from the preceding draft have done it, although there was a dearth prior to that. This is the time that Gibbs should be looking to raise his profile but he certainly is not behind the curve.

Gibbs is judged on his draft pick. If he was taken anywhere other than #1, we would be thinking it an inspired selection.

Maybe you have not fully understood what I was trying to say because if you read my 1st post you would see that I have been supporting him with gusto for many years and to say that I have a lack of knowledge and understanding is just plain incorrect.I asked for honest opinions as I believe he was recruited as a midfielder.There is no need to get you're back up!

I still see him as a fantastic player but Just Kruezing do you think there is still alot of upside to him because I hope so.
Absolutely I see alot of upside to him but what we all have to understand is he will be played where the team needs him most and at the moment with our defensive general in Laidler out injured and the also having the elite kicking skills of Yarran out he is required to do a job across half back.

Gibbs will also be shuffled according to the oppositions strengths etc, He is the man that gets all the tough match ups because of his great understanding and versatility.

I just dont understand why or how you want to compare him to Murphy when they are completely different players with very different roles and responsibilities atm.

I am not sure if he was recruited to us as a midfielder but even if he was does that mean we pigeon hole him in that spot forever when we already have an abundance of midfield types??

The thing to remember here is the game has changed enormously since he was recruited with more emphasis of flexibility and versatility, you only need to look at Kreuzer and Hampson who were recruited as ruckmen but wont survive in the modern era unless they can go forward and have an impact. Hampson may well end up playing 85% of game time in the forward half in future like Tippett or Petrie if we decide to bring Warnock into the squad when fit. We even see Judd and Robinson etc having to go forward these days because of the way the game has evolved with restrictions on bench personnel etc even though they are midfielders.

I see Gibbs playing across half forward in our ideal structure who can push to midfield as I believe he is a good mark for his size and because of his opportunity playing on some of the games elite players whilst being undersized has developed some pretty good body work and positioning which he has displayed numerous times. I think these attributes could see him be a dangerous and successful forward but I fear he wont get the opportunity in that position because we now have numerous options in our forward line without him.

Remember Walker wanted out of the club because they played him down back and he wanted an opportunity to play forward, therefore Gibbs is sacrificed to accommodate that move and has been an overwhelming success. Also consider that the role Gibbs now plays on some of the more difficult match ups from the opposition both Bower and Thornton have failed in as they are poor in 1 on 1 contests and are poor decision makers with ordinary skills at times, another example of how he is sacrificed to improve our team.

I as much as anyone would love to see Gibbs running alongside Judd and Murphy etc in the middle and racking up 30 touches and finishing off a couple of nice goals also but I want our team to win finals and premierships and maybe him playing that role may not be in the best interests of our club.

Sorry for coming across as getting my back up but I just get frustrated a bit with all the Gibbs knocking and comparisons to players who play where they are best suited individually every week and he is not acknowledged for the importance and difficulty he has in his role anytime.:thumbsu:

I may be behind the times, but why is everyone so keen to push any player with ability, under 6' 5" tall, to be a mid?

Anyone with handy disposal and reasonable footy noggin can play loose man off HBF.

Only a genuine midfielder can match it with guys like Pendlebury, shut down the likes of Goodes, and generate plenty of attack going the other way.

He was recruited as a mid...a bloody highly regarded one, and I for one hope the legacy he leaves is as a mid.

Absolutely I see alot of upside to him but what we all have to understand is he will be played where the team needs him most and at the moment with our defensive general in Laidler out injured and the also having the elite kicking skills of Yarran out he is required to do a job across half back.

Gibbs will also be shuffled according to the oppositions strengths etc, He is the man that gets all the tough match ups because of his great understanding and versatility.

I just dont understand why or how you want to compare him to Murphy when they are completely different players with very different roles and responsibilities atm.

I am not sure if he was recruited to us as a midfielder but even if he was does that mean we pigeon hole him in that spot forever when we already have an abundance of midfield types??

The thing to remember here is the game has changed enormously since he was recruited with more emphasis of flexibility and versatility, you only need to look at Kreuzer and Hampson who were recruited as ruckmen but wont survive in the modern era unless they can go forward and have an impact. Hampson may well end up playing 85% of game time in the forward half in future like Tippett or Petrie if we decide to bring Warnock into the squad when fit. We even see Judd and Robinson etc having to go forward these days because of the way the game has evolved with restrictions on bench personnel etc even though they are midfielders.

I see Gibbs playing across half forward in our ideal structure who can push to midfield as I believe he is a good mark for his size and because of his opportunity playing on some of the games elite players whilst being undersized has developed some pretty good body work and positioning which he has displayed numerous times. I think these attributes could see him be a dangerous and successful forward but I fear he wont get the opportunity in that position because we now have numerous options in our forward line without him.

Remember Walker wanted out of the club because they played him down back and he wanted an opportunity to play forward, therefore Gibbs is sacrificed to accommodate that move and has been an overwhelming success. Also consider that the role Gibbs now plays on some of the more difficult match ups from the opposition both Bower and Thornton have failed in as they are poor in 1 on 1 contests and are poor decision makers with ordinary skills at times, another example of how he is sacrificed to improve our team.

I as much as anyone would love to see Gibbs running alongside Judd and Murphy etc in the middle and racking up 30 touches and finishing off a couple of nice goals also but I want our team to win finals and premierships and maybe him playing that role may not be in the best interests of our club.

Sorry for coming across as getting my back up but I just get frustrated a bit with all the Gibbs knocking and comparisons to players who play where they are best suited individually every week and he is not acknowledged for the importance and difficulty he has in his role anytime.:thumbsu:

Thanks for your opinion and I too want team success and I hope we can someday get him into the midfield because his awareness and disposal could be even more damaging there imo.

I reckon Gibbs, Yarron, Henderson, Jamison, Duigan , Laidler Tuohey - are coming together as an elite defensive and rebound unit. Let them play together as much as possible - defence and cool headed fast rebound wins premierships.

Gibbs? he is good enough to play HB OR HF - and provide silky service to advantage. He has outstanding skills - probably gets criticised for making too much look too easy - has an uncanny ability to be where the ball is going - before it gets there.

Watch him play - and see how often he makes oppositon stars look clumsy and slow.

Improvement - maybe go at the ball a bit more like Bartells more often when your mates need a hand.

I'm sure Gibbs got 40+ possessions playing as a mid, he was a gun as a young 17yr old, but he is more of an accomplished player now, and i'd have know doubt he'd reach Greg 'Diesels' Williams record of 53 disposals, yes it would be great to see individual accolades, but his more important in team values and structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back