BT commentating

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2025 when Kayo and Foxtel use their own commentary teams, we won't have to listen to BT or Darce again.

By the way, to all the ad executives who think BT being the face of McDonalds advertising is a good thing: - I've already stopped buying their cardboard tasting burgers (you'd reckon when you order a quarter pounder through the drive thru they'd actually put meat in the burger - I'm looking at you staff at Preston Maccas) but that ad with BT fellating the microphone and then breathing all over the burgers has put me off their product for life.

Sorry Ronald McDonald, Grimace, Mayor McCheese et al but your brainwashing of my childhood has been undone by a third rate AFL commentator.
It annoys me that he sniffs the bag like it is a bouquet of flowers. Macca's smells like shit. Literally.

The most damning thing about BT is that he goes out of his way to make fun of the guys in the box that are actually trying to do their jobs properly. Any other workplace and BT would've been stood down for his treatment of Richo.

Argh, listening to just about any former player as a commentator these days is just hideous, BT a prime example.

If you've ever had the joy of listening to a close game, and hearing him pipe up with an "Oh No" when the team he doesn't support is surging towards goal, it just grates.

How we can want to be so professional as a sport and a competition by looking at the way other professional sports are run, and then subject us to BT (and Darcy and Richo and Hodgey and Carey and Dwayne ) is just amateurish.

Was watching the NFL overnight and the difference in class and professionalism is clear when you compare their commentary to the insufferable drones on Seven.

With the obnoxious booming voice of BT to the hoarse screeching of JB, Seven AFL has to be among the worst TV coverage of any sports league in the world.
Same thoughts exactly.

If you watch just about any EPL match, it's hust amazing how they can let the vision explain the play. One professional commentator, one special comments (usually an ex player with actual insight) and a separate professional panel in the studio.
And here in Australia Simon Hill is the epitome of how to prepare for matches by knowing all the players and their names, same for the opponents, the history of the head to head, the strengths and weaknesses, the tactics. Whether you like the game of soccer or not, you can appreciate the commentary as adding to the game.

I've posted this before, but it's the best example I can give of BT's self-aggrandising style of commentary

In 2015, Hawthorn travelled to WA and played West Coast in one of the best matches of the season. The Hawks took the lead for the first time in the game in the 4th quarter when Roughead gathered the ball just inside the the boundary line, drew two Eagles defenders towards him and then fired a 20m handball over their heads to Cyril who dished off quickly to Liam Shiels for the go-ahead goal.

BT's commentary for that play went as follows...

"... and now Roughead...

That was out of bounds!

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!

THAT! WAS! OUT! OF! BOUNDS!!

As Shiels goals..."

Except that it wasn't out of bounds. The boundary ump was right on the spot and judged that the whole of the ball had not completely crossed the line. BT was confused by the parallax error. He saw a gap between the ball in Roughie's hand and a spot on the boundary line about 3 metres away to Roughie's left where the line curved around.

It was a huge moment in the game and a great team goal. But the moment was ruined by BT's ineptitude and arrogance. I wouldn't make an issue of it, nor would I have even remembered if it had been a one-off error, but it was just typical of the way BT does his best to ruin the game for everyone watching.

Was watching the NFL overnight and the difference in class and professionalism is clear when you compare their commentary to the insufferable drones on Seven.

With the obnoxious booming voice of BT to the hoarse screeching of JB, Seven AFL has to be among the worst TV coverage of any sports league in the world.

Americans hate NFL commentators and the poms hate their EPL commentators. It's just the way the world works.

There is probably an NFL forum right now with a post "I caught a game of that Aussie Rules Football last weekend anyone ever seen it buddies? They have this commentator they call "BT" who is amazing, funny guy who loves a laugh. Can we get him over here to replace our terrible commentators?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is probably an NFL forum right now with a post "I caught a game of that Aussie Rules Football last weekend anyone ever seen it buddies? They have this commentator they call "BT" who is amazing, funny guy who loves a laugh. Can we get him over here to replace our terrible commentators?"
Given how BT doesn't know what's going on anyway, I'm pretty sure he could make the transition. He'll just need to find the equivalent college team to the Geelong Falcons so he can use his patented "footy factory" call.

Matt Granland, Gerard Whateley, James Brayshaw and Jason Bennet. These are the guys that should be commentating the big games.

How has a channel not taken Granland yet?

Jason Bennet is the worst there is. He cannot stop shouting. He calls a 20 metre regulation pass in the middle of the ground like its Dom Sheed in the 2018 grand final. There's a reason he gets almost no games and its because he gives everyone a headache.

He might actually be allright if they shot him full of horse tranquilizar before the game just to make him calm down a talk a bit softer

Matt Granland, Gerard Whateley, James Brayshaw and Jason Bennet. These are the guys that should be commentating the big games.

How has a channel not taken Granland yet?
Nah JB and Whateley can piss off too.

It annoys me that he sniffs the bag like it is a bouquet of flowers. Macca's smells like s**t. Literally.

He was inhaling the sweet scent of all that dirty, dirty money.

Sandy Roberts and Ian Robertson the best tv duo for me. Also Peter McKenna, Kevin Bartlett and the late Drew Morphett.

I never warmed to Kevin Bartlett as a commentator - always trying to squeeze in his "time for think music" phrase whenever a player was on his own

It's not just the commentary.

Everything from the graphics, presentation, TV direction, CAMERA ANGLES (these are getting worse in AFL by the year) is just so slick and high quality.

Tight and sharp like a film.

AFL has a long way to go in comparison. I'd honestly call the effort here amateurish in comparison.

Complete flog, I have to watch games with the sound off or I feel sick. Just wish you could get crowd noise only without the crap commentary.
I was watching the Richmond v Hawthorn AFLW game yesterday. Alastair Nicholson and Abbey Holmes were actually doing a good job of the commentary. But about 90 seconds before the end of the final quarter there was some sort of issue and the commentary dropped out for the rest of the match.
It was beautiful. Could still hear the crowd noise. Could hear the thump when the ball was kicked and the umpire's whistle.
I sincerely hope they give us a commentary-free option one day. I believe Fox will be commentating every game under the new rights deal, so maybe they could offer it.

In 2025 when Kayo and Foxtel use their own commentary teams, we won't have to listen to BT or Darce again.
I won't watch a second of 7's coverage (until the Grand final of course).

Watch 7s footy ratings drop. They believe we tune in to watch their amazing coverage. No, we tune in to watch the footy and everything else is irrelevant. At half time I mute the TV and do a few things and come back at the first bounce of the 2nd half.

Would like to know if Channel 9s ratings for the NRL dropped after Foxtel started commentary of their own.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not just the commentary.

Everything from the graphics, presentation, TV direction, CAMERA ANGLES (these are getting worse in AFL by the year) is just so slick and high quality.

Tight and sharp like a film.

AFL has a long way to go in comparison. I'd honestly call the effort here amateurish in comparison.
NFL, NBA, MLB, EPL sports documentaries are just stunning. ESPN 30 for 30 series the pinnacle.

Remove this Banner Ad

BT commentating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back