Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like your enthusiasm. Have you been over to NZ recently?

Yes. I watched some representative matches and have some contacts in AFLNZ.
They are very happy with the way Australian football is developing.

I kid you not I reckon only 10% of the kids I coached knew who Buddy Franklin is.

Most Europeans would be in the same position.
I played rugby and couldn't name a single player.

No doubt once kiwis play the sport they enjoy it.

Absolutely and it's common the world over.
Where people are given the opportunity to play Australian football they love it.

It's about getting them into ..

playing Australian Football which is winning.
Watching AFL is a big bonus, don't get me wrong but playing is easily the most important thing
and Kiwikick is fantastic.
Besides, NZ has as many games of AFL on FTA as most places in Australia and access to more.
The rest of the world would die for the AFL coverage that NZ has as well as the investment.

The IC17 is now into the second round as we speak, and have just watched NZ V Nauru replay on the AFLNZ web site, and have also beaten Fiji comfortably.
This NZ team has some big units and their No 26 in the Ruck can palm the ball beautifully down his midfielders throats.
We pondered if the AFLNZ Premiership Comp introduced in 2016 and continued this year would improve their team play, along with several players in Australia.
The evidence so far indicates that it possibly has and they look too big, too strong and too skilful so far, which is omnious for the rest of this comp. We emphasize this particular comp.
We think the fact that they had 9 players??? in Australia this year is way too much advantage for them, and perhaps a max of 5 or less would be better, giving their apparent improvement.
Do not think the French, Germans or others would be impressed, and down the track will become an issue.
Early days yet - But the usual suspects for the Mens Final - NZ, USA, Ireland, PNG who all won by similar wide margins today.

Last edited:
The IC17 is now into the second round as we speak, and have just watched NZ V Nauru replay on the AFLNZ web site, and have also beaten Fiji comfortably.
This NZ team has some big units and their No 26 in the Ruck can palm the ball beautifully down his midfielders throats.
We pondered if the AFLNZ Premiership Comp introduced in 2016 and continued this year would improve their team play, along with several players in Australia.
The evidence so far indicates that it possibly has and they look too big, too strong and too skilful so far, which is omnious for the rest of this comp. We emphasize this particular comp.
We think the fact that they had 9 players??? in Australia this year is way too much advantage for them, and perhaps a max of 5 or less would be better, giving their apparent improvement.
Do not think the French, Germans or others would be impressed, and down the track will become an issue.
Early days yet - But the usual suspects for the Mens Final - NZ, USA, Ireland, PNG who all won by similar wide margins today.
I do not have a problem with players coming to Australia to improve their football then playing in the national team. If you have 9 players that are prepared to do that, and their reward is not getting a game in the national team because they are to good? Not sure thats a message to send.

I have an issue with teams loading up with people who never played in their home country. That is no way to grow the game at home, leave locals out for people that played in Australia for 10 years, and never played in the country they represent, is also not a good message.

I do not have a problem with players coming to Australia to improve their football then playing in the national team. If you have 9 players that are prepared to do that, and their reward is not getting a game in the national team because they are to good? Not sure thats a message to send.

I have an issue with teams loading up with people who never played in their home country. That is no way to grow the game at home, leave locals out for people that played in Australia for 10 years, and never played in the country they represent, is also not a good message.
Pretty sure you have to have played in your country before you represent them at the IC. Might be wrong. But for example a kid born in NZ who moves to Melb at a 2 year old and gets right into footy wouldn't be eligible for the NZ side at IC.

Is number 26 one of the boys listed on the ST kilda list?

The cap was set at 9??? for this IC17 that may indicate that the organisers were thinking along my lines. There has been no cap prior to this year.
It is a fact players come to Australia to improve their game, but not all countries at this time will have players rock up.

The second scenario above does occur when expats/migrants arrive here and want to play an unknown game, and the back home the game does not exist.
They still want their Country represented and organise to get involved, and send the word back to their original country.
The latest example is Sri Lanka.
Agree about the 10 year comments.

So a player just has to be born in a country to be eligible even if they moved to Australia and started their AFL in Australia as a kid?
No they cannot do that. If you played in Australia as a kid you are not eligible. But there are lots of guys/girls that have not played in their own country. Come to Australia and learned the game as an adult and never played in their home country.

No they cannot do that. If you played in Australia as a kid you are not eligible. But there are lots of guys/girls that have not played in their own country. Come to Australia and learned the game as an adult and never played in their home country.
Oh yeah that makes sense. So is the cutoff that they can't have played junior footy in Australia to be eligible?

Oh yeah that makes sense. So is the cutoff that they can't have played junior footy in Australia to be eligible?
I believe so, and that is reasonable. What is questionable is a team that is composed largely of Australian residents. Not sure how you get around it, some of the countries this year would not be playing without local residents.

My preference would be teams composed of players from overseas leagues, with no restriction on players from those leagues, who then played in Australia, but with restrictions on players who only played in Australia.

However doing that might force countries like Pakistan and Sri Lanka out, and its not like they are dominating with an unfair advantage.

It might actually be good for some teams to play against teams with lots of experience in Australian comps.

I believe so, and that is reasonable. What is questionable is a team that is composed largely of Australian residents. Not sure how you get around it, some of the countries this year would not be playing without local residents.

My preference would be teams composed of players from overseas leagues, with no restriction on players from those leagues, who then played in Australia, but with restrictions on players who only played in Australia.

However doing that might force countries like Pakistan and Sri Lanka out, and its not like they are dominating with an unfair advantage.

It might actually be good for some teams to play against teams with lots of experience in Australian comps.

At this stage it does not matter IMHO because the whole idea of IC17 is development, and introduction to the Aussie culture of Footy first hand.
Who cares if to get a country underway the expats in Australia drive its development initially - We are not being swamped by overseas players coming to Australia.
Some of us have been watching International Footy for 20 years when it was almost invisible, here in Oz, and when you could count on your hand the number of countries involved.
Apparently 38 teams put their hand up to come - 27 men and 11 women teams which to some of us again is quite extraordinary in 17 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage it does not matter IMHO because the whole idea of IC17 is development, and introduction to the Aussie culture of Footy first hand.

AND it is to reward the nationals in other countries with a world competition. It is their competition not ours.
It is a world competition not an Australian competition.
Australia is free to create any additional competition but Australia would have to underwrite that competition.

And what possible purpose would that competition serve ?
What purpose does any sporting competition serve beyond its own existence?

Its my preference because it shows overseas comps strong enough to send a team overseas. It allows networking, it sharpens skills and improves gameplay. Just the extra effort squad members put in training wise helps the local comp.

What point would filling up teams with Australian residents serve? Don't we already have various diversity comps for that purpose?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

AND it is to reward the nationals in other countries with a world competition. It is their competition not ours.
It is a world competition not an Australian competition.
Australia is free to create any additional competition but Australia would have to underwrite that competition.

Australia underwrites the International Cup already.

And what possible purpose would that competition serve ?

It would be more meaningful than it is currently as an international competition. A full strength New Zealand could call on any number of players running around state and local ranks, so could ireland, and probably new guinea.

Rugby league has tried and found successful the concept of honouring ancestral backgrounds as well, going back through national heritage at the parental level. Theres literally no reason this couldnt work.

It would be more meaningful than it is currently as an international competition.

What could be more more meaningful than the players that play in their country and are nationals of that country competing for their country ?
It's only Aussies who have no connection with Australian Football overseas calling for something different, but they don't attend and certainly don't provide any money.
And the rl system is a total joke in a lot of peoples minds.
And yes, we do have a similar competition in the Harmony Cup aka Multi-cultural Cup.

What could be more more meaningful than the players that play in their country and are nationals of that country competing for their country ?

Including folks from that country who actively sought to chase an Australian football career in the country where the game was born would be a start.

It's only Aussies who have no connection with Australian Football overseas calling for something different, but they don't attend and certainly don't provide any money.

Bullshit. You have no idea if these people have connections or not.

And the rl system is a total joke in a lot of peoples minds.

But not in the minds of Rugby league who believe its a successful means of promoting the game in their respective countries.

And yes, we do have a similar competition in the Harmony Cup aka Multi-cultural Cup.

Its not remotely the same.

Even though we are only starting round #3 this week-end everybody concerned with the IC17
have been really enjoying the competitiveness of this event.
Virtually every game is a finals game and this year's limitations have worked extremely well.
Absolutely zero mention of subjects raised here.

The New Zealand team is having a very good IC17 having won their first two matches.

http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2017/08/11/one-team-many-cultures/

Full time in Round 3 and NZ has recorded a big victory over Canada. Best: Beattie, Hick, Rattenbury
1f1f3-1f1ff.png
9.8: 62
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
1.0: 6
They are now 3 - 0.
Canada are finding the going tough this year -Are they in a down cycle, and obviously the Kiwis are improving each game.

Round 4 - The New Zealanders play one of their main rivals -Ireland -August 15 12.15pm Royal Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back