Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

In respect to our list depth, we did have 5 best 22 players out last night.

Not many other finalists have that and that’s why those like Narkle, Evans, Mcentee etc have got games all year.

Most clubs depth falls away after their top 25 odd players reasonably quick.

However even if we had our best squad available, the game play wouldn’t be any different. We’d still be bombing it forward to no one. We’d still be kicking to mismatches. It wouldn’t have changed last nights results as history shows, our game plan doesn’t stack up.

True, however we wouldn't have had Boak and Burton attempting those corridor kicks and turning it over, which led directly to about 5 Sydney goals

Why would the coaches view be prioritised over the list manager? It makes their role redundant. Sure Hinkley would have a say but that’s not his job who they draft and trade for.

Just give Kenny 22 all Australians and he might have a chance

The fact is every premiership side has a few bog average triers. A smart coach utilises their strengths and minimises their weaknesses. They still are able to contribute as role players. For the last decade we've relied heavily on individual brilliance rather than system. Good enough to beat the crap teams but unsustainable against good ones.

Upon reflection.

There is no better time to stick fat with a coach then now. Power fans just need to stick fat.

Power fans need to think big picture. You finished second for christ sakes. Had you won the first final and got yourselves a home final you would be in the granny.
Absolutely zero confidence in that statement. This is Port under Ken we’re talking about.

Today's a reminder of just how far off it a team with a bad coach is. Longmire's been to 5 grand finals and going at 20%. Hinkley can't even clear the hurdle.
Today's a reminder that you trust your coach when they're putting out strong results year after year.

And that Port need to fix their development and/or recruiting and/or list management.

Hinkley has maintained his team at the top with a list constantly with a poor list. Tell me with a straight face that Port Adelaide's forwards and backs are Premiership worthy. There's only so far a midfield can take you. It beats up on the trash, and struggles against teams who can compete there and exploit you elsewhere.

Hinkley isn't the problem. He's keeping that club well above where they should be. Which as a Crows fan is brilliant. It stops them being in a position where they can get the talent required to be a genuine premiership threat.

Today's a reminder that you trust your coach when they're putting out strong results year after year.

And that Port need to fix their development and/or recruiting and/or list management.

Hinkley has maintained his team at the top with a list constantly with a poor list. Tell me with a straight face that Port Adelaide's forwards and backs are Premiership worthy. There's only so far a midfield can take you. It beats up on the trash, and struggles against teams who can compete there and exploit you elsewhere.

Hinkley isn't the problem. He's keeping that club well above where they should be. Which as a Crows fan is brilliant. It stops them being in a position where they can get the talent required to be a genuine premiership threat.

tell me you still subscribe to the advertiser without telling me you still subscribe to the advertiser

Grandpa Fagan Grand Final win shows power fans they just need to stick fat. Even ashcroft during the speech said the word stick fat I feel a fagan vibe in father hinkley.
Father Hinkley is coming up to a 13th year without a GF appearance there's no comparison, Fagan made a GF in year 7 and won a flag in year 8.. Father Hinkley is not even the Aldi Fages.

Hinkley's Heroes are to be celebrated today. The wise old sage rallied the troops through adversity and filled South Australia with joy. Let's leave the toxic stuff for at least a day, yeah?
4 preliminary finals in 12 years isn't too bad. There's only 8 finals spots and 10 teams don't play finals in this 18 team comp.

Saying that.... You wonder how Port fans on the Port Bigfooty board are feeling now with Fagan getting Brisbane a flag.

Grandpa Fagan Grand Final win shows power fans they just need to stick fat. Even ashcroft during the speech said the word stick fat I feel a fagan vibe in father hinkley.
Agreed 👍 💯

Good point about your post.

Fagan is 63 years old when he got his 1st flag at Brisbane in 2024.

When Fagan became Brisbane coach, this was in the midst of Brisbane and their dire 2014 to 2018 period where they finished bottom 4 for 5 years in a row.

Brisbane made finals each year from 2019 to 2024. Brisbane struggled in finals too.

- Straight sets in 2019.

- Prelim final in 2020.

-Straight sets again in 2021

- 2 finals wins and a prelim final in 2022

- narrow grand final loss in 2023

- grand final win in 2024.

Still shocked Brisbane won the 2024 flag from 5th.

I wonder if he will walk……. Into the eagles coaching job. Imagine if he won a flag with the Eagles….
A pity that Adam Simpson didn't stay another season as west coast coach.

Hinkley serves 1 more year at Port in 2025...

I wouldn't mind Hinkley as dockers coach in 2026 if Justin Longmuir fails in 2025

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kenny was agonisingly close this year

Have a few weeks break
Then reset and go into another pre-season for another ripper season in 2025!

He'll have the 2024 brownlow medalist JHF at his disposal and ready to kick arse and take names!
Agreed 👍

Look at Brisbane. Had some heartbreaking finals losses under Fagan and they got the 2024 flag

the AFL commission owns and controls the club and they have Koch and co. keeping us exactly where the league wants us
Nah.... Your side is making finals.

The AFL want your club to be like the dockers.... 8 years of finals out of 30 and wanting your club to finish 9th to 14th every season

Nah.... Your side is making finals.

The AFL want your club to be like the dockers.... 8 years of finals out of 30 and wanting your club to finish 9th to 14th every season

if that's what the league wanted, that's what would be happening. but it's not, so it isn't. very strange post.

It does pose the question: where is all the salary cap going ?

A South Adelaide/Freo fan just lol mediocrity is a goal from that background.
Yep.... At least I am not a band wagon fan like Port in tje SANFL from 1977-1999 or central's from 1995- 2011.

Surprised you didn't ask who my 2 WAFL clubs I follow. Peel Thunder due to its dockers links and South Fremantle

It does pose the question: where is all the salary cap going ?
You talking about Ports salary cap or crows salary cap for the playing list?

Good question. If the salary cap is 17 million, well you can fit a fair amount of blokes on $500-$600,000 a year. Just ask ya mates at Geelong.

Port. Is 80% of it going to midfielders ?
80 percent of 17 million is $13,600,000.

I look at Ports forward line. Billy Rioli would be on $600,000 a year. Guys like Georgiadis and Marshall would be on $500,000 a year.

Back line... Guys like Allir and Brandon Zerk Thacher would be on $500-$600,000 a year too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back