Can someone explain?

Remove this Banner Ad

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
let me start by saying that I am NOT trying to iniate a player bashing session.. i am not that concerned about losing this year to be honest.. we should all just accept the cycle ALL AFL clubs must go through to get to the top.

However one thing I can not get my head around is why Courtney Johns is getting games? Can someone who watches pratices or perhaps follows the behind the scenes stuff explain whether or not he is doing something away from gameday to warrant his selection? on field form certainly suggests that my original opinion that the guy is a dud is correct..

informed and intelligent response would be appreciated.. thank you..

I really do agree with you on CJ, I have defended him for a number of years and had that romantic attachement too him as Sheedy seemed to have so much faith in him. He is just not quick enough, yes Tredrea only kicked one goal but CJ was very lucky, he was beaten to the ball all night (by a long way) and his second efforts are just too slow. I think big Courtney is done....

• Banned
Didn't he keep Treadrea to one goal today? I'm happy with that...

as I said in another post.. treadrea was injured early in the game.. apparently was only at 70% according to a friend (yes an actual person).. but still holding him to one goal was a good effort.. although if you look at his season so far.. he isn't the player he used to be etc.. i just thought johns looked lost.. has very poor disposal and decisin making and just looks slow..

as I said in another post.. treadrea was injured early in the game.. apparently was only at 70% according to a friend (yes an actual person).. but still holding him to one goal was a good effort.. although if you look at his season so far.. he isn't the player he used to be etc.. i just thought johns looked lost.. has very poor disposal and decisin making and just looks slow..

haha righto so because you heard that Tredrea was injured then Johns effort means nothing? He was one of our better players tonight, hes not going to be a champion but shit get off his case

He played 3 quarters.

Johns wasn't bad in defence tonight.

I was one who thought he could not be turned into a defender, however after tonights effort i think he should be given more time to prove himself.

The question that people should be asking is why on earth was Johns given the role of taking Treadrea in the first place?

Michael is the senior defender and apparantly Treadrea is the perfect matchup for him because Michael can only take the slower power forwards.

Can someone tell me why Michael took Ports 4th and 5th best forwards?

I was one who thought he could not be turned into a defender, however after tonights effort i think he should be given more time to prove himself.

^^^
| | |

And to answer your questions, it seems that Knights is looking to see whether Johns is worth keeping, so played him on the forward who he matched up best with. That left Michael with no real match-up, but so be it.

^^^
| | |

And to answer your questions, it seems that Knights is looking to see whether Johns is worth keeping, so played him on the forward who he matched up best with. That left Michael with no real match-up, but so be it.

What about Lade and Brogan when they went forward?

Better option than having Ryder have to push back into defence when one of them went forward?

What about Lade and Brogan when they went forward?

Better option than having Ryder have to push back into defence when one of them went forward?

True, but I thought having Ryder playing on either Motlop or the resting ruckman would have been the go. Dropping Laycock was a huge mistake IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johns should by a Tatts ticket this week as he was lucky he didn't have 10 kicked on him.

Tredrea was turning him inside out and Tredrea is shot as a player. He has no agility.

The experiment has now been tried, it's failed and we move on.

I agree on the lack of agility, and that it is a long-term (possibly terminal) issue.

I felt strangely irked when Port was casually chipping it around (we weren't manning-up), and I saw Johns just standing as a loose man in our defense...did anyone else see that?

Didn't he keep Treadrea to one goal today? I'm happy with that...
You're forgetting that Tredrea is a joke these days.

That said Johns wasn't overly bad today. Definetly wasn't in our worst players.

That also said not being considered one of our worst definetly isn't good enough.

let me start by saying that I am NOT trying to iniate a player bashing session.. i am not that concerned about losing this year to be honest.. we should all just accept the cycle ALL AFL clubs must go through to get to the top.

However one thing I can not get my head around is why Courtney Johns is getting games? Can someone who watches pratices or perhaps follows the behind the scenes stuff explain whether or not he is doing something away from gameday to warrant his selection? on field form certainly suggests that my original opinion that the guy is a dud is correct..

informed and intelligent response would be appreciated.. thank you..

Can't be bothered reading all the posts. Today Tredrea done nothing and his side scored 150 plus, I would consider that a good days work. He is a big guy who hasn't had heaps of footy. The more he plays the better he will go. Still though I would think he would need to deliver something more substantial this year to stay on next.

Johns should by a Tatts ticket this week as he was lucky he didn't have 10 kicked on him.

Tredrea was turning him inside out and Tredrea is shot as a player. He has no agility.

The experiment has now been tried, it's failed and we move on.

Totally agree with you kelvin. There are plenty of other things CJ can do. Maybe a carpenter or electrician perhaps. He is just not a FOOTBALLER !!

i actually thought johns was good value tonight. deserves to keep his spot next week. he was the only player who kicked long from defence. there was one passage of play where he was on the end of about six horrid handballs across half back, and he launched a 40 meter kick and found a target. i also beleive he had a goal assist. we all jump on him when he does something bad... by the same token we should acknowledge the good he does, albeit they are too few and far between.

i actually thought johns was good value tonight. deserves to keep his spot next week. he was the only player who kicked long from defence. there was one passage of play where he was on the end of about six horrid handballs across half back, and he launched a 40 meter kick and found a target. i also beleive he had a goal assist. we all jump on him when he does something bad... by the same token we should acknowledge the good he does, albeit they are too few and far between.
Couldnt agree more he is getting beter every week it is a well known fact that it takes the bigger boys longer and he is still young 22/23 my concen is Monfries who seems to be going the other way. Sheeds rated him and knights does to so we have to have faith that CJ still may be a gserviceable player for us

For the record Tredrea played only 56% of the game and copped a knock to the calf early in the second quarter. Up to that point he had kicked 1.2 with 2 score assists so Johns got lucky I'd say.

I agree on the lack of agility, and that it is a long-term (possibly terminal) issue.

I felt strangely irked when Port was casually chipping it around (we weren't manning-up), and I saw Johns just standing as a loose man in our defense...did anyone else see that?

It was because he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Treadrea had lead over the right hand side of the ground from the central position and Johns noticed a spare small man all by himself on the other side. He knew if he commited to going after Treadrea the other guy would end with an easy ball in space so he sort of stood in the middle so that he could go either way. I thought it was pretty smart play by Johns on that occasion because Treadrea lead to the side that was congested and was unlikely to recieve the ball anyway. Before too long one of his team mates arrived (forget who) and took the smaller forward and then Johns went back over to Treadrea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back