Can Sydney keep Warner and avoid more trade bans?

Can Sydney keep Warner and not cop a whack from the AFL?

• Lol No

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I did say "a few years" - your most recent example is 2009.

Pfft, I'm not barracking for you to be punished for following rules. I just think the rules should be changed. You are reading an awful lot into what I said.

But I guess you are right in a general sense, I don't think the Swans need special rules "to improve". You're a mature, successful club. ****in' hell, 11-1, played in a recent GF, apart from the obvious there's not a lot of scope for improvement.
You literally said the Swans were rorting the system. If we are rorting the system why shouldn't we be punished?

Feels good being top of the league again! I love it! Everyone just starts crying :tearsofjoy:
Of course the academy becomes the topic when the discussion was opened about a player who didn't come from the academy :tearsofjoy: bloody gold
Anyway back on topic, Chad Warner. 39 in the draft. God damn we got some wizards behind the scenes. Yes he'll stay a Swan for life :cool:

You misunderstood. The system is the rort. I was saying you should just embrace it as such.
Biggest rort out there. Which is why the comp has been dominated by the Swans, Giants, Suns and Lions since the acadamies have been introduced.

Grand final after grand final of these 4 power houses just dominating.

Or they some of gone through periods of success and some not so, but there is no correlation with academies picks and success.

We now have a decade of evidence and little support to say the northern clubs are using a rorted system.

In saying that - what does any of this have to do with Chad Warner!?!?!

Feels good being top of the league again! I love it! Everyone just starts crying :tearsofjoy:
Of course the academy becomes the topic when the discussion was opened about a player who didn't come from the academy :tearsofjoy: bloody gold
Anyway back on topic, Chad Warner. 39 in the draft. God damn we got some wizards behind the scenes. Yes he'll stay a Swan for life :cool:
Swans wont let Chad go. They'll ensure he gets an offer he struggles to turn down.

The foundation isn't a coterie group, so to say the academy is founded by QBE and a coterie group is inaccurate.
Mmmhmm, they just look after donations to the Swans Academy, and also all the coterie groups of rich potential donors. Yep, totally different things.

Why do you even care? Coterie groups are a fact of life, every club's got super-rich people who love their footy club with a passion.

Biggest rort out there. Which is why the comp has been dominated by the Swans, Giants, Suns and Lions since the acadamies have been introduced.

Grand final after grand final of these 4 power houses just dominating.

Or they some of gone through periods of success and some not so, but there is no correlation with academies picks and success.

We now have a decade of evidence and little support to say the northern clubs are using a rorted system.

In saying that - what does any of this have to do with Chad Warner!?!?!
Not really sure how it got on to academies, although I'm sure the victim mentality of the thread topic title doesn't help. (Actually what is the topic supposed to be? That somehow Sydney will be banned from trading ... if they don't trade Warner? Makes no sense at all.)

I think it is still a bit early to tell on academy picks. Heeney was the first in 2014 (debut 2015) yeah? GWS, Brisbane and Sydney have outperformed or matched most clubs since then, apart from Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't really have the same punch when you write it as it actually is, I guess.
Yes, you are right. Calling it a coterie group is less clinical, and depicts it as more than an institution, being real people.
At least we've all moved on from "Other clubs fund the Swans academy" and "It's absolutely impossible to know how it's funded".

I look forward to the next hallucination.

I still don't feel I know how it is funded. An article from ten years ago saying "more than a million dollars a year", and a puff piece by Josh Kennedy. Not a lot of detail about current funding arrangements. Would love it if any of the Swans supporters can enlighten me on the numbers for 2023.

Yes, you are right. Calling it a coterie group is less clinical, and depicts it as more than an institution, being real people.

I still don't feel I know how it is funded. An article from ten years ago saying "more than a million dollars a year", and a puff piece by Josh Kennedy.
Again, a link in this very thread saying it's principally sponsored by QBE with some additional funding coming from the Foundation.

Not really sure how it got on to academies, although I'm sure the victim mentality of the thread topic title doesn't help. (Actually what is the topic supposed to be? That somehow Sydney will be banned from trading ... if they don't trade Warner? Makes no sense at all.)

I think it is still a bit early to tell on academy picks. Heeney was the first in 2014 (debut 2015) yeah? GWS, Brisbane and Sydney have outperformed or matched most clubs since then, apart from Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood.
Even Hawthorn have outperformed those 3 during that period.

Premiership winners since 2014 are Hawks, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond and Eagles.

Giants and Lions have made 1 grand final and have both lost. At a min Bulldogs, Tigers, Pies and Geelong have all outperformed over the last decade.

Swans have made 3 grand finals and lost all 3. So we're have more than 11 teams but less than 7. More successful than North but less successful than almost half the league

Even Hawthorn have outperformed those 3 during that period.

Premiership winners since 2014 are Hawks, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond and Eagles.

Giants and Lions have made 1 grand final and have both lost. At a min Bulldogs, Tigers, Pies and Geelong have all outperformed over the last decade.

Swans have made 3 grand finals and lost all 3. So we're have more than 11 teams but less than 7. More successful than North but less successful than almost half the league
Depends how you define success. Hawks last flag was the year Heeney debuted, academies weren't having much of an impact then. They've done **** all since.
Dogs got 2016 flag, done better than Hawks, but really on a par with you 3, ditto Melbourne. West Coast are back down the bottom, definitely sustained success better than them. In fact Richmond have to bottom out now too. Is that prospect facing any of you? Brisbane the most likely in a couple of years maybe?

The answer to the question is no.
Warner won’t sign another contract with the swans and they know it. Be best to deal him to Freo this year while his value is highest and Freo have good draft picks.
I'm late to this thread and I am enjoying the eye rolling at Sydney fans for starting the thread but is this commonly accepted now? Feels like I missed something where everyone just has locked him into leave

God forbid Sydney be made to do a normal rebuild like everyone else. If this thread is anything to go by their fans would be screaming bloody murder after 10 rounds.

Again, a link in this very thread saying it's principally sponsored by QBE with some additional funding coming from the Foundation.
Talk about selective quoting! Thank you, that's the Josh Kennedy puff piece, what I then said was:
"Not a lot of detail about current funding arrangements. Would love it if any of the Swans supporters can enlighten me on the numbers for 2023."

Talk about selective quoting! Thank you, that's the Josh Kennedy puff piece, what I then said was:
No it wasn't, it's on the club's page now and it's been linked in this very thread. Even if that's a bit overwhelming for you, googling "QBE sponsorship Swans academy" answers your question pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Sydney keep Warner and avoid more trade bans?

Back