• YES

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • NO CHANCE

Votes: 72 45.0%
  • UNSURE

Votes: 25 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have not gone into a game less confident in a long long time. Think it might be a mess. But you never know
She's gonna be a pumping, mate. However, if I still lived in Australia I'd be going to cheer them on in what will most likely be a defeat. Having said that, it's been quite a while since Geelong did something unpredictable in a final. Anything can happen if the stars align.

Saw both Hawthorns wins v the Swans.

Key take outs

Hawks chipped around and slowed it down, got a lot of uncontested ball.

Played two extra have back flankers at centre bounces to clog the fast break.
Looked for hit up targets around 45 to 50 rather than kicking it toward Grundy and the spoilers.

Used Roughead as an onballer and had him drift forward to get the mismatch with Zac Jones
( got two goals this way and gave off a third )

Don't think the Hawks kicked a goal from a deep contested mark in either game.
Were hit up leads around 45 to 50 metres plus in play goals

I'm convinced the only way to beat them will be a 75 to 65 pt slogfest type score line

The long bomb to 30 out just does not work v the Swans... they kill you on the rebound.
I know you are one onballer short but hope Scott strongly considers having Danger drift forward and
has him play some decent minutes forward as isolated as possible.

They have no match up for him ( who does ?) Scott has to try something different otherwise its
going to be kick it to Hawkins deep in a pack of about 8 and watch it sling shot to the other end.
Who are you hoping to win? Which team would you rather next week?

i agree, but i think he adds more than parsons
Parsons was our highest scoreboard contributor last week, and with the WHOLE team being pressured and poor, I doubt he will be made the scapegoat, ie only player dropped.

That's true but the movies are predictably boring.

It needs a new script.
Coaches/players make the script. Supporters really just read the lines. While the team is bipolar with effort and application, the board will follow suit. The nature of finals means expectation can be lost/gained rapidly, so it's hardly surprising that the reactions are extreme this time of year. A loss on that side of the draw to Richmond was a massive blow. Beating our bogey team and the dominant one left to advance to a prelim would be a huge monkey off the back. I'd hope you're better than having a first reaction of lecturing naysayers if we do win. It would simply be in line with a dramatically improved effort from the boys.

Key take outs

Looked for hit up targets around 45 to 50 rather than kicking it toward Grundy and the spoilers.

Used Roughead as an onballer and had him drift forward to get the mismatch with Zac Jones

I'm convinced the only way to beat them will be a 75 to 65 pt slogfest type score line

The long bomb to 30 out just does not work v the Swans... they kill you on the rebound.
I know you are one onballer short but hope Scott strongly considers having Danger drift forward and

They have no match up for him ( who does ?) Scott has to try something different otherwise its
going to be kick it to Hawkins deep in a pack of about 8 and watch it sling shot to the other end.
What about when the Swans had the ball? From what I saw from highlights packages the Hawks had 2 or 3 players going at the ball carrier. Same with when they would kick to a 1-on-1, another Hawk would leave their man to try and spoil that contest.

"No Chance" has 56 votes in the lead?

Christ this board is ******* embarrassing at times.
So you're embarrassed about the truth, would we make you feel better if we lied and voted that we'd smash them?

There's a reason why we are $3.20 and they are $1.20 with betting agencies, it tells you if this game was played 10 times Swans win it 8 times so in actual fact the 46 votes should be closer to 80 votes, how would you feel then?

So you're embarrassed about the truth, would we make you feel better if we lied and voted that we'd smash them?

There's a reason why we are $3.20 and they are $1.20 with betting agencies, it tells you if this game was played 10 times Swans win it 8 times so in actual fact the 46 votes should be closer to 80 votes, how would you feel then?

Yes vote only nine behind and closing

C'MON

No, it tells you that more money has been outlaid on the Swans.

No, it tells you that more money has been outlaid on the Swans.
They opened up around that mark without a single cent being bet, right now the weight of money is about even but expecting the pro punters to crunch Sydney late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he was as bad as I've seen in the first half of that game.

He was a shocker that game until it looked like we couldn't win then he was balanced. Hopefully he gets the flu and is pulled for the emergency,Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about when the Swans had the ball? From what I saw from highlights packages the Hawks had 2 or 3 players going at the ball carrier. Same with when they would kick to a 1-on-1, another Hawk would leave their man to try and spoil that contest.
My thinking is that Hawthorn did something based on their own deficiencies.

The Hawks are not a good contested ball team, Sydney are. So rather than have a one on one, where its a 30% chance of winning the ball, make it a two on one (and manic so that it doesn't go to the free Swans player.) Two average contested players vs one really good contested player actually ends up with the two weaker players winning (most of the time). Every now and then Danger or Dusty will break two tackles, but even that doesn't happen too often.

It's a good lesson. Fight for the ball with an outnumber at every contest. Get the ball and either hold it and only spot up free targets (or contests where you will win) or slice them by running it through them. If the two players beat the one player, then they already have a quick 1,2 going and will be able to run it forward and draw an opposition player, freeing up a teammate.

This obviously relies on not only a hard attack at the ball when in dispute, but CLEAN hands when bursting away.

Nothing worse than fumbles. It turns over the ball and leaves teammates in the wrong position to defend. This has been our primary issue when we lose.

I saw Jimmy Bartel chatting with Selwood after the loss the other night, and I remembered that after we had our three losses during the middle of the season, Bartel had an article where he said the Cats would look to 'pack it in, bang some bodies' meaning that we'll look to contest and contest every loose ball, just to keep touch. This means lots of tackles, which we like doing. We'll look to spread with composure and this should make it a nice even game.

Doesn't mean they're all Geelong supporters. Majority of them could be from opposition trolls.

Doesn't matter if you are a cats fan or not, smart money would all be flowing the sydneys direction. I like me a bet on the cats, especially when we are underdogs, but I won't be touching them in finals until we turn this shocking run around.

Let's hope it is this week!

Scott looked shell shocked on the news tonight. Never seen him like that before. Looked like he knew it was massive mistake leaving Menzel out. I don't think he thinks cats can win. But at least the mistake's been corrected. I'm confident the the team can still do the job though. I'd rather this route to a grand final than playing a prelim off a bye!

Problem is, the same logic which saw Menzel dropped last week is also seeing him being pushed out of the club completely, and whilst we can correct the selection mistake this week, it is probably too late to mend bridges with him long term.

For what it is worth, and despite my anti-Scott rankings this week, I still hold some confidence that we can turn things around this week. Just don't want to get my hopes up too much.

My thinking is that Hawthorn did something based on their own deficiencies.

The Hawks are not a good contested ball team, Sydney are. So rather than have a one on one, where its a 30% chance of winning the ball, make it a two on one (and manic so that it doesn't go to the free Swans player.) Two average contested players vs one really good contested player actually ends up with the two weaker players winning (most of the time). Every now and then Danger or Dusty will break two tackles, but even that doesn't happen too often.

It's a good lesson. Fight for the ball with an outnumber at every contest. Get the ball and either hold it and only spot up free targets (or contests where you will win) or slice them by running it through them. If the two players beat the one player, then they already have a quick 1,2 going and will be able to run it forward and draw an opposition player, freeing up a teammate.

This obviously relies on not only a hard attack at the ball when in dispute, but CLEAN hands when bursting away.

Nothing worse than fumbles. It turns over the ball and leaves teammates in the wrong position to defend. This has been our primary issue when we lose.

I saw Jimmy Bartel chatting with Selwood after the loss the other night, and I remembered that after we had our three losses during the middle of the season, Bartel had an article where he said the Cats would look to 'pack it in, bang some bodies' meaning that we'll look to contest and contest every loose ball, just to keep touch. This means lots of tackles, which we like doing. We'll look to spread with composure and this should make it a nice even game.
Great points.

Key take outs

Interesting analysis. Thanks for dropping by, it's fun reading posts like this.

Yep. Can't remember the last time I went into a final thinking we'd definitely lose.
6 days ago for me.
Felt we had absolutely everything against us all week, bye as a factor included.
Slightly less worried this week- we are deservedly not favourites, and we can bounce back from shockers. Maybe not enough to win, but I think we won't be unhappy with our output. No shame in losing to Swans if we do, they are an awesome team.

I do hope Menzel was dropped for being drunk at a pub
if he was dropped for other reasons I am sure the dropping itself will have a negative impact on the group

probably why all players in contract negotiations want to keep it going to the last match of the year
we do not drop players no other clubs want

I do hope Menzel was dropped for being drunk at a pub
if he was dropped for other reasons I am sure the dropping itself will have a negative impact on the group

probably why all players in contract negotiations want to keep it going to the last match of the year
we do not drop players no other clubs want
CS said that rumour was unsubstantiated, ie rubbish.

Can someone please tell Hawkins that if he takes a mark within 55 meters to have a ****ing shot instead of looking for the fancy pass inside that works 2 times out of 10, if he does that then it will go a long way to us kicking a winning score.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we actually beat the swans?

Back