Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Cody is a freak
Are you extrapolating from research like me? Or, do you have something more tangible?

I am super optimistic as he smashes his old man’s records. Walks was verging on a great after having his body compromised early in his career.

I just envisage a slightly bigger,, slightly more athletic hybrid who could play anywhere like his old man. Certainly one I am happy ta fantasise about, and I don’t do that too often these days.

Are you extrapolating from research like me? Or, do you have something more tangible?

I am super optimistic as he smashes his old man’s records. Walks was verging on a great after having his body compromised early in his career.

I just envisage a slightly bigger,, slightly more athletic hybrid who could play anywhere like his old man. Certainly one I am happy ta fantasise about, and I don’t do that too often these days.
He certainly looks like he will be bigger and taller than his dad (still has at least 6cm of growth left in him looking at his frame). His dad was a freak athlete and if it wasn’t for the shoulder problems he had early in his career he would have reached even greater heights. I remember when played on Tomahawk back in the day and made him look like an amateur with his athleticism and speed. Hope his son didn’t inherit dad’s shoulders.

A couple of quotes from a FB page

“Kids a gun. Should be playing under16’s with my son at Echuca, but when your nailing goals from 55 post height after winning the centre clearance in the 18’s”

“Great club. Cody’s little brother has filled in for his team a couple of time (he’s a bottom aged under 14s) and can kick over a jam tin. Whole family’s very gifted. Has a cousin who’s doing really well as well. Rob (Andrews Dad) was voted best Echuca player not to play AFL. Ripper bloke too.”

From above mentioned Facebook page. Proud family photo.
Looks like Cody at 15 is about same height as dad who listed at 190cm.
(Hope this is OK by site rules)

View attachment 2011454
I think there's a little bit of perspective going on here, he's standing in front of AW1 slightly, his hair is a bit fluffy and AW is wearing a hat (OMG!!)

I'd say he's very close but not quite at 190cm (if that listing is accurate), maybe 188? Part of me hopes he doesn't keep growing at that rate otherwise he'll wind up being a KPP! Though not the worst thing, I've just always imagined an explosive mid size fwd/mid ala Petracca/Warner type.

I think there's a little bit of perspective going on here, he's standing in front of AW1 slightly, his hair is a bit fluffy and AW is wearing a hat (OMG!!)

I'd say he's very close but not quite at 190cm (if that listing is accurate), maybe 188? Part of me hopes he doesn't keep growing at that rate otherwise he'll wind up being a KPP! Though not the worst thing, I've just always imagined an explosive mid size fwd/mid ala Petracca/Warner type.
The football gods should let him grow to about 193cm, IMO.

Sounds like by the time he’s due to be drafted we’ll need to trade for Pick 1.

:rolleyes:
It's a non issue. We'll still have first dibs for him but will have to pay more. If he is living up to the hype then it will be worth whatever we have to pay, especially coming into several years of compromised drafts. Having access to an elite talent like this when we'll be nowhere near the elite end of the draft is like striking gold - just like Colliwobbles and Daicos.

Yes, they paid less but drafting a generational talent when you shouldn't be drafting there is immense - and will be worth even more then Tasmania come into play.

If he's worth pick 1 then bloody hell that's a good thing, not a bad one.

(may be getting ahead of myself calling him generational/elite etc. but you get the point)

It's a non issue. We'll still have first dibs for him but will have to pay more. If he is living up to the hype then it will be worth whatever we have to pay, especially coming into several years of compromised drafts. Having access to an elite talent like this when we'll be nowhere near the elite end of the draft is like striking gold - just like Colliwobbles and Daicos.

Yes, they paid less but drafting a generational talent when you shouldn't be drafting there is immense - and will be worth even more then Tasmania come into play.

If he's worth pick 1 then bloody hell that's a good thing, not a bad one.

(may be getting ahead of myself calling him generational/elite etc. but you get the point)

Your talking to someone who’s still pissed of when Collo changed the number of games a father needed to play for a club and we missed out on Matthew Lloyd.

Your talking to someone who’s still pissed of when Collo changed the number of games a father needed to play for a club and we missed out on Matthew Lloyd.
Haha no not at all. Just don't like the whining about the rules changing. We'll still get him, and if we do have to pay up for a pick#1 then it's actually a very good thing, not something to complain about.

We did get Gibbs because of rough rules for the SA clubs r.e. F/S too you know. He really should've been a Crow but, no.

Me too; I didn't know about the rule change but I was pissed when * managed to nab him with a compo pick. Wasn't there some player we could have given up to get in before the scum/filth (I don't know which one is which)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explosive Cripps 😉

Yep. Father son needs fixing. Meanwhile gc have 50 list spots and the Sydney clubs are likely getting COLA back. Yep. Father son is too much of an advantage.
It's the same rules for Academies, which ultimately are actually why it's being changed.
Lets not forget the WA and SA teams have father son access to WAFL and Sanfl players still...
I'm not sure of WA rules, but SANFL rules are rather stringent and not really much of anything. Adelaide missed out on Gibbs despite Ross playing 253 games for Glenelg.

Haha no not at all. Just don't like the whining about the rules changing. We'll still get him, and if we do have to pay up for a pick#1 then it's actually a very good thing, not something to complain about.

We did get Gibbs because of rough rules for the SA clubs r.e. F/S too you know. He really should've been a Crow but, no.
Imagine he was off the table and we took Selwood instead...

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would you want a a@@$hole like that at our club. Still believe in quality of the person as well as talent

Imagine he was off the table and we took Selwood instead...

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Realistically though, we probably would've taken Gumbleton or Luenberger. Ruck was a need at the time iirc, and Gumbleton was the no.1 key forward. Gibbs was the consensus and overwhelming no.1 pick, hence the selection and Selwood was pick 7. Without Gibbs we likely draft a huge bust instead.

Realistically though, we probably would've taken Gumbleton or Luenberger. Ruck was a need at the time iirc, and Gumbleton was the no.1 key forward. Gibbs was the consensus and overwhelming no.1 pick, hence the selection and Selwood was pick 7. Without Gibbs we likely draft a huge bust instead.

Word at the time was we were super keen on Leuenberger so it probably would have been him.

The top end of that draft actually ended up being a bit of a disaster. Was touted as a super draft but Thorpe, Hansen, Gumbeton, Leuenberger had nothing careers after being outstanding juniors.

Gibbs was solid but definately didn't live up to expectations. Obviously Selwood became a gun after sliding due to injuries. Boak had a great career but wasn't even expected to go that high. Was a surprise.

We actually had Boak pegged for pick #17.

Found out after the draft that Geelong would have taken him at #7 anyway if Port didn’t.

He was a massive carlton supporter too at the time thanks to his late father.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back