Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Clark gets the best out of Cripps but not from the group as a whole.

I love Cripps and Voss as leaders but they aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. We should be surrounding them with the smartest coaches and players we can find. Need a healthy balance.
How do you know Crippa and Vossy aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed??

The assumptions and statements people make on here from a far are an embarrassment

Clark gets the best out of Cripps but not from the group as a whole.

I love Cripps and Voss as leaders but they aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. We should be surrounding them with the smartest coaches and players we can find. Need a healthy balance.

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Most in the industry know that Voss is no genius. From my understanding of Cripps, he parrots every phrase Voss uses. Carlton need tactical acumen in the box and I’ve said this for years. Further, who is our Pendlebury on the field? We look lost as soon as things turn against us.

Not all clubs have aspiring coaches in their side. However, ours is definitely Sam Docherty.

Last edited:
Not all clubs have aspiring coaches in their side. However, our is definitely Sam Docherty.
TBH, He and his body have been through the wringer with health and injury, and I'm kinda hoping he retires rather then struggle through another pre-season (not that he struggles for form, more to deal with the knee etc) to take a up a position in the club like this.

Angus Brayshaw might be up for it. Melbourne have a standing offer to him but perhaps he prefers a new environment

We’re skirting the issue, it’s Vossy that’s not too sharp.
An amazing footballer, natural leader, gifted with a physique made for the duress and pain anywhere on the ground. Any wonder Cripps gravitates to him. Hopefully in a couple of seasons the club will be more analytical about head coach.

I too reckon Sam Docherty may well be our coaching solution, if he’s predisposed and willing to take the challenge,
a selfless relentless servant of the club, gifted footballer , admired and respected by the Club and footy world.
Struggled through various life tragedies, one can only respect him and he too loves the Blues he’s our man.

I too reckon Sam Docherty may well be our coaching solution, if he’s predisposed a selfless relentless servant of the club , gifted footballer , admired and respected by the Club and footy world.
Reckon he's a dead cert to become a coach at some point in the future. But will need at least a couple of years apprenticeship. No-one moves straight from playing to coaching now. Sam Mitchell probably as fast-tracked as we'll see.

We’re skirting the issue, it’s Vossy that’s not too sharp.
An amazing footballer, natural leader, gifted with a physique made for the duress and pain anywhere on the ground. Any wonder Cripps gravitates to him. Hopefully in a couple of seasons the club will be more analytical about head coach.

Not too many coaches that are analytically brilliant, it's generally assistances that don't have the will or capabilities to be people leaders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too reckon Sam Docherty may well be our coaching solution, if he’s predisposed and willing to take the challenge,
a selfless relentless servant of the club, gifted footballer , admired and respected by the Club and footy world.
Struggled through various life tragedies, one can only respect him and he too loves the Blues he’s our man.
Doc will no doubt go into coaching when he hangs up the boots, I reckon it won't be at Carlton. As most do, he will probably look to go to another club to learn more about the caper.

Stewart Dew would be a great appointment, can you have 2 senior assistants in the one coaching box and not lose anything due to pride?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you'd need to have defined roles for each, rather then sharing a job. Either that or you demote Hansen but probably lose him if that's the case.

I could've sworn I saw Dew on the ground after the grand final with the Lions staff.

Is he signed up with them?
You did. Jumped on board during the season.

I think he’s freelancing. Saw him on the Ashes tour last year.

Perhaps someone can help me here.

Thought I read that all assistants had to be advised by (was it?) Sept 1 if they were to be held and to my knowledge we didn't advise any that they were to be terminated, is this true?

How do our numbers add up in comparison to other teams in the comp?

A quick look at club websites on AFL,com shows that we are one of only 4 teams who list our coaching staff and we list 10 whilst two list 8 and 1 lists 7. Do we have more than most sides?

And if we do and we add to it as many seem to want, just how many assistants do we have to have for it to become unmanageable?

I remember at one game during the season the camera panned to our coaches box and it looked like the press box at the Super Bowl. I remember thinking it was no wonder Voss coached from the sideline, there's no room in the coaches box.

A quick look at club websites on AFL,com shows that we are one of only 4 teams who list our coaching staff and we list 10 whilst two list 8 and 1 lists 7. Do we have more than most sides?
Had a look myself and have not found a club without their coaches listed. 11 is the most so far but they vary in which roles are listed eg in development/academy.

IMO our midfield set up between the arcs isn’t too bad. I think our wings are fine, they play their role just fine.

I also don’t believe our coaches instruct the players to bomb it long into our forward line. I think the players panic and just don’t have composure to lower their eyes.

The main things I have a problem with when it comes to our coaching are the following:
- we are very poor at defending opposition kick ins
- we don’t seem to have any meaningful strategies from when we kick the ball in from a behind
- our stoppage set ups in the D50m and F50m are so bad they are borderline embarrassing

Thanks, buggered if I saw them, so how do we rate against the average?
It's hard to say because different clubs list differently. Some just have line coaches others include their VFL, development and/or academy leaders etc.

I doubt we're much different and the fact that we're talking about bringing someone in suggests it's seen as an improvement.

PS if they don't have a separate menu item for coaches they'll have a coaches tab within the team page

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back