Preview Carlton vs Essendon, MCG, Saturday 18/04/15, 1:45 PM - Changes post #573

Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF is this resting Cooney bullshit? He is 29 years old, didnt miss a beat all pre season and has played 2 matches, if he is feeling the pinch at this stage then we may as well delist him now.

Or we can say it's been a long preseason, he has had a greater load in the preseason games than anticipated, he's been in 2 hard slogs to start the season. In order to ensure he's ok later in the season, start managing him now.

It is all dependent on how his knees are feeling. If they are giving him zero grief, play him. If they are causing him some pain, no harm in resting him.

Or we can say it's been a long preseason, he has had a greater load in the preseason games than anticipated, he's been in 2 hard slogs to start the season. In order to ensure he's ok later in the season, start managing him now.

It is all dependent on how his knees are feeling. If they are giving him zero grief, play him. If they are causing him some pain, no harm in resting him.

Far too early to be even thinking about it, we need to get as many wins as we can to ensure we are in contention come the later part of the season.

Far too early to be even thinking about it, we need to get as many wins as we can to ensure we are in contention come the later part of the season.

You're probably right but given his knee history over the past few years, I'm saying he needs to be managed carefully if he's to impact games later in the season.

Why are all these Preview threads reduced to arguing about resting players? Why are we even talking about resting? Unless someone is showing obvious signs of requiring rest, why even speculate it?

Probably best we just operate under the assumption that everyone is still fine to play on (given it is only RD 3) and think about strategically who we would like to see on the field. Or am I being unreasonable?

Why are all these Preview threads reduced to arguing about resting players? Why are we even talking about resting? Unless someone is showing obvious signs of requiring rest, why even speculate it?

Probably best we just operate under the assumption that everyone is still fine to play on (given it is only RD 3) and think about strategically who we would like to see on the field. Or am I being unreasonable?
Good question.

Without enquiring directly to each poster, I'd suggest that with Carlton's latest results that the odds are well in our favour for a win this week; and that if we had the luxury to manage players... that this would be one such game.

With our mix of youth and older players, resting experienced players puts more onus across our lesser players. The fine line between management and balance is always in question. This only needs to be seen with Hawthorn on the weekend, where Mitchell and Gibson were ruled out and the machine misfired from the first bounce.

It's a physical game and a tough season. Our seconds haven't had a competitive hit out, so we'd be bringing in players without a full fledged game for points under their belt. The good teams can make subtle changes and still perform - so I'd be loathed at the moment to swing 4-5 changes based on management, at this time of the season. I'm sure the club has key triggers on where these managed players are allocated a rest, so lets just hope that in the scheme of the season that they remain uninjured and get to the goal dates on a week to week basis.

Over the past few years we've played some bloody good footy but now and then when there is a call for resting and 100pt smashings the performance isn't there.
Examples
2012 Round 15 Sat 7 Jul St Kilda Etihad Stadium Loss 62-133
2012 Round 10 Sat 2 Jun Melbourne MCG Loss 52-58
2013 Round 8 Sat 18 May Brisbane Etihad Stadium Loss 86-96
2014 Round 5 Sat 19 Apr St Kilda Etihad Stadium Loss 65-81
2014 Round 13 Sun 15 Jun Melbourne MCG Loss 77-78
2014 Round 20 Fri 8 Aug Richmond MCG Loss 77-95

This is my point.Do I need more examples? The teams that are September regulars don't get complacent and lose to lesser teams. That is the biggest test for this team and it's supporters

Neither will be rested this week, or be the sub.

There is 4 points on a platter in front of Hird. The legend is a winner and always has been. He will be wanting to grab those points with both hands. If we have the tankers smoked by mid 3rd quarter chappy to be subbed, cooney to go forward and relax a little.

images

We only have to run around these, surely that wont be too hard for the old fellas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Hams, Browne, Kavanagh, Dalgleish
Out: Cooney (rested), Chapman (rested), Goddard (rested), Watson (rested)

3-5 goal first qrt and it's bye,bye for the Blues baggers.

1st quarter is the 1 quarter that Carlton have played well over the first 2 rounds. Expect them to come out breathing fire. We have to weather that and minimise the scoreboard impact.

Over the past few years we've played some bloody good footy but now and then when there is a call for resting and 100pt smashings the performance isn't there.
Examples
2012 Round 15 Sat 7 Jul St Kilda Etihad Stadium Loss 62-133
2012 Round 10 Sat 2 Jun Melbourne MCG Loss 52-58
2013 Round 8 Sat 18 May Brisbane Etihad Stadium Loss 86-96
2014 Round 5 Sat 19 Apr St Kilda Etihad Stadium Loss 65-81
2014 Round 13 Sun 15 Jun Melbourne MCG Loss 77-78
2014 Round 20 Fri 8 Aug Richmond MCG Loss 77-95

This is my point.Do I need more examples? The teams that are September regulars don't get complacent and lose to lesser teams. That is the biggest test for this team and it's supporters

Resting a singular player froma midfield, or playing someone in a less taxing position should not affect the teams performance. Neither is what the supporters feel should happen. The confidence or pessimism of the supporters has Nil effect on the team itself.

In: Hams, Browne, Kavanagh, Dalgleish
Out: Cooney (rested), Chapman (rested), Goddard (rested), Watson (rested)

THIS however is ludicrous and not at all what im advocating.

Resting a singular player froma midfield, or playing someone in a less taxing position should not affect the teams performance. Neither is what the supporters feel should happen. The confidence or pessimism of the supporters has Nil effect on the team itself.

THIS however is ludicrous and not at all what im advocating.
I'm not actually calling for anyone to be rested this week. I don't think Howlett should play, but that would have to be called dropping him. His performance wasn't up to scratch and we know by now that Howlett needs to be 100% fit in order to hold his own in this team. Don't know if the groin strain was the reason or not, but i think we just need to be one step ahead of Howletts form slumps. Before the season started i thought he should be used in bursts and so far that view has been vindicated.
The only reason you would rest Cooney is if his knee is starting to progressively swell up again after games.

I personally think we should rest all 22 players. I mean they had a really hard game on the back of another one and now a 6 day break. Unheard of.

We must manage every player, because if we do, we will be unbeatable in round 22 when all the players are cherry ripe to go. I mean, they have played 2 FREAKING GAMES and people are suggesting resting them is crazy or arrogant?

What team doesn't rest best 22 players after 2 weeks of footy?

I can think of...ummm....errrrr....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back