Autopsy Cats lose to Swans by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not Fyfe but he’s not exactly Caleb Daniel, at 181cm he’s 1cm taller than Atkins and was listed at 181cm in his draft year so might be slightly taller.
Zak Butters is the modern day player who he should be basing his game on.

If you go back a few years there's hundreds more, but they're harder to find now.

We've run 32 different players through the senior team so far this season - that would suggest we have been open to bringing new players through
But one has played only two games, one has played one game and one only played 2 minutes of a game.

Not sure how that compares to last season. I know Ted only played one game as sub.

Obviously there's more time to go.

Last edited:
Trying to be optimistic about the season, I don't think we'll win a flag or anything, but I want to see how we go after the bye as we've played 13 weeks strait and some of the oldies are probably running on fumes.

Hopefully, it gives us a chance to reflect and reboot and get a much needed rest. We don't have many prime ages so young and old will be feeling it backing it up week to week.

We'll get Guthrie, Danger, Conway and 2e back so let's see how we go. I still think we'll play finals at a minimum. Top 4 is still a possibility if we get it right.

Uh oh. It’s turned into a Melbourne v Sydney rivalry thread. As someone who has lived in both cities, I can say I love both places. I now live in Melbourne but I would love to have an apartment in Sydney to escape the Melbourne winter.
Buy a Big Freeze beanie and a good jacket, try Geelong +/- Bellarine Peninsula- I'd love to live there again.

I reckon Melbourne is a depressing flat dump
I hate Melbourne as a city. Whether its commuting to watch the footy or just visiting I leave with the same impression. Crowded, congested, overrated shithole.

It has a strong coffee culture. That's it.

It does not matter if you commute by car or public transport. Too congested and too much delays and periods of not moving. Car traffic is abysmal compared to Sydney. Stayed this weekend in Pyrmont. 10-15mins travel to SCG parking. Then 10 mins to the airport hire car depot. No chance in hell of getting anywhere near that in Melbourne.

Then you can commute the CBD by foot. Everywhere you go there's a horde of people in your way.
Genuine dump is Melbourne.

Would have to be paid a lot of money to give up the tranquillity and peace of Geelong and Surfcoast for the rat race that is Melbourne.

Funny how we all value different things. I've lived in Brisbane and it is my least favourite city in Australia, can't stand it. Melbourne is my number 1 favourite city and I really enjoy living in Sydney but it's hard to get around, it's easier to visit Southbank and the Melbourne botanical gardens than Centennial Park.

I like Adelaide, Perth isn't too bad, but it's isolated and not multicultural enough for me.

Anyway, I'm sure this is all very relevant to why the Cats lost to the Swans...
Huh? Catch the (iirc) 180 bus from the city, takes you straight up Oxford St., hop off and across the road is Centennial Park. Or you could walk if you're keen, probably take about 30 minutes or so from the CBD - nice walk, I did it countless times when I lived in Sydney.

You're using my words so I'll take that as a compliment.

But yes, I've told myself a few times to stop responding, then someone else says something that sets me off. I promise this is the last!
Lol I'm guilty as charged, too. Take my advice and forget about making that promise - just go in for the kill and be done with it. Or head to the Bay, where it's encouraged!

So you want him to basically criticise everything, because that suits your constant "The ship is sinking" attitude?

Or do you believe that what he says publicly is the exact same thing he says behind closed doors? I'm not sure you've taken much note over his 13 years as coach as to what a savvy media performer he is.
I want him to be more honest. He doesn't have to be negative to be honest. Supporting his players is important but not to the point it includes exaggerating their performance. I'm on the record as saying we are still an outside chance to squeak into the top 4 this year. At the same time we should admit that Geelong received a very advantageous draw in 2024. We have to arrest this slump before it is too late. It's already too late to start testing some of our VFL talent, which is a pity. If the current trend continues then I'd rather we start playing the young players instead of veterans who are hardly playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willis has Warner-esque traits. Would love to see him get a crack at it as he has weapons that would see him slot nicely in to the seniors, but I'm not confident we will.
I don't think Willis has any chance given our current forward makeup. Certainly not in the midfield given he would have to leapfrog Hardie, Stevens, Mannagh and given that none of those have much chance of getting a game. Geelong has an easy draw after the next couple of games, the MC has shown they prefer the status quo and playing known quantities even if they are underwhelming. While our finals hopes are alive I do not see any surprise inclusions. Only a spike in injuries could see that change.

if you can’t read it.
Says mullin even though papley kicked 4 held his own.

Stewart even though he got 20 disposals only took 1 intercept mark and has dropped well off.
On this point in particular I am tending to more and more ignore disposals for these defenders (other than intercepts)…4 of Stewarts 20 came from kick ins. I would think a bunch of those other 16 were short receives as well. He had 5 intercepts (average for him is around 9) but also 5 turnovers.

He is in a slump and needs to work through the tag. But better that it is happening now and not late in the season. He has to figure it out as good players to.

Both Melbourne and Sydney have things going for them but Sydney and it's harbour make Melbourne and Port Philip Bay look pretty ordinary. I tell overseas visitors to make Sydney a priority and come to Melbourne if you have a couple of days free to check out the city and it's restaurants.
Yep. Sydney to visit, Melbourne to live.

Your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Some of us are happy our house prices aren't as high as those in Sydney and Brisbane.

I have no desire to live anywhere else, be it Sydney, Brisbane, Perth or a country town. Each to their own.
Mate, the house prices are higher than in Brisbane. That is a very misleading stat

Holy hell Australians are spoilt. Both Melbourne AND Sydney are amazing cities that are the envy of every other country in the world. There's a reason both place always score highly in the annual "World's Most Liveable Cities" rankings. Regardless of which is better, neither is even remotely close to "bad", and far more than that, they're actually both phenomenally great cities when you measure them against the global competition.

But sure, go awf complaining about two of the main reasons why Australia is one of the best countries in the world. Lol.

I want him to be more honest. He doesn't have to be negative to be honest. Supporting his players is important but not to the point it includes exaggerating their performance. I'm on the record as saying we are still an outside chance to squeak into the top 4 this year. At the same time we should admit that Geelong received a very advantageous draw in 2024. We have to arrest this slump before it is too late. It's already too late to start testing some of our VFL talent, which is a pity. If the current trend continues then I'd rather we start playing the young players instead of veterans who are hardly playing.

He's always been loyal to his players, particularly the senior ones. That's not to say he doesn't challenge or question them behind doors, but he will never criticise them publicly and will always defend them. Him going away from that attitude would be the first sign of cracks appearing.

Everyone is having this Melbourne versus Sydney feud and I'm just chilling out in a house you can pay off in under 10 years with more beaches nearby than Perth and walking distance to a stadium with afl every week.
I'm happy living in my house in Norlane that is affordable for me to pay off (long way to go), but I'm just happy it's close to all I need here. Mind you I'd like a Noodle Box this side of town, too hard to find a place to park in Ryrie St for it.

Back to the footy, there is no doubt of the five losses we've had this season I'm most accepting of the Swan's one. We tried hard, went hard early, got pegged back very quickly as our 2nd quarters this year seem to be, but never gave up even as we got 5 goals down midway in the last. Just our mangy forward forays that fail to hit a target which can be penalised the other way, that goal Warner sped to and bloody Papley were just the sort of things to kill us. Plus I've often had Papley as an anytime goalscorer in other games against someone not Geelong and he often can't kick over a jam tin, yet he's potting them from 55m sailing over the fence. Swans were on, and they are the side to beat.

We are rejigging the side, a fit Danger and hopefully a fit Cuthrie may make a big difference, and with more time into the younger mids hopefully they get a bit more consistent. One thing it shows, how amazing was Joel Selwood, i think his amazing impact from the get go has coloured our view of young players, the majority may take time to get back into it. And even with Joel, he was the bottom banana in a midfield that already had a 5-6-7 years in the system group like Corey, Kelly, GAJ, Chapman and Stevie J, Ling etc. Jye Clark really can't be expected to be as impactful as Joel, he just needs time. But I'm hoping some of the youngsters in the ressies get a gig too, as it's clear that Duncan, Touhy, Stanley, most likely Hawkins et al are not going to be the future.

Humphries surely needs to be getting a game asap.

This. Should not keep having pathetic performance after pathetic performance again, again and again from much the same players (some old, young and in between) and not give him, Manna, etc a chance. We're 1 and 5 from the last 6 with the win against possibly the worst team in the comp and we spent more of that game behind than in front. This mix is not doing it.

Honestly the result wasn't that bad, considering some of the weakness on display.

It was good that we jumped them but we worked too hard too early, we did damage but not enough. We didn't run out the game. Our ball movement wasn't too bad, we had plenty of moments that were for a want of a nail even in the 2nd half. The pressure we displayed was hyper effective but with our team as listed we can't keep it up.

Hawkins is moving a lot better. then he was a month ago. With the bye what ever he was carrying is hampering him less. Our defenders were pretty solid.

Now to the negative

To the begin with the obvious, once Grundy realised that Stanley couldn't do anything to him, it was game over in the middle. We should have subbed Stanley off at half time, giving Blicavs the keys.

The main tactical issue was, once they realised the short kick was on they took it every time, Melbourne did the same thing. We played deep and they move the ball between the arcs at will. It is clear that it was a fatigue thing, in the 3rd quarter Sydney came out pressing high. Knowing that we couldn't win a contest to save our life gbg or aerially. Late in the 4th we were out of legs, I'm not going read too much into that.

The inside midfield battle was so lobsided we barely got a finger tip at a clearance from the time they got their goal until 10 minutes to go in the 4th. If we're more competitive in this space they can't press as high. The only tools on the shelf is a 35 year old Danger, which doesn't bode well. We don't really have anything to throw at our aerial weakness ahead of the ball. Neale didn't help, Rohan didn't help and O.Henry doesn't either. We need more running power ahead of the ball to help with pressure and with the ball in hand.

None of the following matters if we don't solve our stoppage woes

Broadly we have two main options either we move to control the ball as in 2020, or we can try to hit open grass as quickly as possible as we did in 2022. Either way we chose we should pick the team that matches the style, even if we leave on paper more credentialed players out.

I want us to try a few new things, get Humphries in the team I think his duel sided nature can free up ball movement, get Mannagh he is perfect for forward half metres gained, in the team. Try Blicavs as a KPF, he isn't working as a mid or a wing, but he covers ground and could help drag defenders out of position. Could we a least try Rohan off half back show him some old wojack clips for inspiration, given that we have Holmes back doing midfield stuff.

Take some of the oldies who can't cover grass anymore. If our aim is that should be to get the ball into space, then if you can't get into that space or close space down then you just don't fit.
Humphries last qtr in VFL vs Syd was rolled gold class

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I'm happy living in my house in Norlane that is affordable for me to pay off (long way to go), but I'm just happy it's close to all I need here. Mind you I'd like a Noodle Box this side of town, too hard to find a place to park in Ryrie St for it.

Noodle Box has moved up the road so it's closer to the parking on Gheringhap St. I would also recommend Laksa & Beer Co which is a couple of doors up from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose to Swans by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back