Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats are Great! Sometimes.
The ZERO goals in the last 4 games or 3 goals in his the last 6 games.
Can paint a different picture.
Add 2 subs (1 In & 1 Out)
Changes that picture again.
My hearing is. That. Rocket had been placed and lit.
We shall see if it has said effect.
Laziness, running patterns, no second efforts and his inability to influence games without the ball were all highlighted.
Let's see how this all plays out.
FWIW. Within the 50 arc of Rohan/Cameron/Neale can't have a OH in there.
Fingers crossed we see an Ollie version similar to our Rising Star Ollie.

Pure hitout numbers are completely useless

Now hitout to advantage and hitout to disadvantage are actually useful but much harder to get your hands on.

You could have 100 hitouts in a game and if 51 of them went straight to the opposition what the **** was the point
If you win all the hitouts, your opponent never gets the chance of a hitout to advantage.

Let’s take time out to get our heads around that weird jumper that hawks had today.
Hawks diehards should be pissed. Why didn’t they just have their normal kit?
It was more poo than wee :joycat: :joycat: :joycat:

Well there is a psychological advantage, having a tall dominant ruckman near the end of a close game, when everyone is buggered, is a distinct advantage. Twice in the last quarter in the VFL game Reeves spiked the ball forward for Hawthorn, one directly resulting in a goal, the other a clearance from defence. You could see the affect it had on the Geelong players some of whom dropped their heads in dismay. I am sure Geelong would have won that match with a half decent ruckman.
True but that wasn't my point those 2 spikes were clear hitouts to advantage just spikes instead of a normal hitout.

If those 2 spikes went to Geelong players they still would have been counted but not hitout to advantage but disadvantage.

I am pro music on the condition it is dramatic montage music.

Give me Excalibur or anything by James Paget

Bit awkward though if you're 60 points down, kick a late one and the some epic game of thrones battle music comes on
I’d love some Ennio Morricone. Man with a harmonica as the build up to the bounce. Let’s make it theatrical!

Sorry folks, off topic, but how do I get rid of "alert spam" from the Swans threads? Keep getting stuff from Heeney2Franklin, SwansProudly and Bedford.
Go to the Sydney board and click this button, make sure you're 'unwatching'. I had that problem for weeks too, something automatically triggered a whole heap of us to get notifications from them.

Untitled.jpg

And if you win all the hitouts and they all go to the opposition what does it do for you?
Losing all the hitouts means that the opponent midfield are getting no easy ball and are reliant totally on mistakes or being better at roving/intercepting the hitouts. Our midfield until the last couple of matches has not been better than the opposition.

He is not slow for a big guy either. No strolling out of defence for his opponent.

Neale was an elite 400 & 800m runner as a junior , he can really cover the ground and is very quick as well ( see his heat win in the 22GF sprint and decent effort in the final).
I think his attributes as an athlete really suit our fast game style and there is no doubt he exerts far more pressure from our FF position than we have done for quite some time.
I've really liked his game over the last 2 weeks , has been in great positions to attack the footy in the air , has clunked a few and has halved other contests.
His ground game is decent as well , not at Hawk levels yet with cleverness but he is far more athletic and is growing in confidence every week now. He's a very good field kick as well.
As I've said before let's look at him after 50 games or so , me likey very much ;)

Last edited:
Neale was an elite 400 & 800m runner as a junior , he can really cover the ground and is very quick as well ( see his heat win in the 200GF sprint and decent effort in the final).
I think his attributes as an athlete really suit our fast game style and there is no doubt he exerts far more pressure from our FF position than we have done for quite some time.
I've really liked his game over the last 2 weeks , has been in great positions to attack the footy in the air , has clunked a few and has halved other contests.
His ground game is decent as well , not at Hawk levels yet with cleverness but he is far more athletic and is growing in confidence every week now. He's a very good field kick as well.
As I've said before let's look at him after 50 games or so , me likey very much ;)
you and me both.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win boy the boys. Loving this line up we have at the moment. Good mix of young and old.

I said a few weeks back to give Stewart a run in the middle. Maybe Scotty heard me! :p Have to leave him in there as he provides additional hardness around the ball and is fairly quick too with good breakaway speed and run down tackling abilities. Basically someone who can make it very hard for the opposition to get clearances.

SDK has been really good in the ruck. Its all starting to click again now. Lets keep this thing rolling and smash the filth! :muscle:

Last edited:
I arrived at the ground just as the teams were running out and lines were pretty long still - got my bag checked and security scanned but the person holding the machine that scans the ticket just looked at the ticket on the phone and said go straight thru. Is that a normal for 10 mins before a game starts? I normally get to games around 1hr before and have always had the barcode on my phone scanned?

If that is what they do to get people in ground in the last few minutes before the game starts no wonder crowd figures are slightly lower than they should be - every single seat in my area was full yesterday for the first time this season (even round 1 which apparently had 6000 more people attend had more empty seats in my bay then yesterday)
which gate were you entering through?

I've got seats in the Hickey stand close to the Selwood side and I refuse to line up at that end ever again. Took over half an hour to get in for the port game and that was in the "express lane". And we were plenty early. Took ages one other game too. I always head to Gate 5 and am in within 10 minutes now.

which gate were you entering through?

I've got seats in the Hickey stand close to the Selwood side and I refuse to line up at that end ever again. Took over half an hour to get in for the port game and that was in the "express lane". And we were plenty early. Took ages one other game too. I always head to Gate 5 and am in within 10 minutes now.

Yeah it was busy. I got in around an hour or so the game start so it was fine down the Hickey stand end for us getting in. How bloody cold was it though! 🥶😂

If there's ever a week to show hitouts on their own are a pointless stats it was this week.

At AFL level Meek got his hands to it a lot but SDK killed him with his follow up and around the ground work. Clearances were basically level but ours were much more dangerous.

At VFL level despite those 50 hitouts for Reeves we dominated clearances (45-36) and territory (58-47 inside 50s). If we had any decent connection going forward we would've won easily.

The hitouts i use to love from a Geel perspective was when Rod Blake ( Best and Fairest winner ) he would come steaming in at the centre bounce and punch the ball 30 metres Geelongs way , i use to love Blakey doing that

According to Hocking, Club Chin Chin was expected to be at capacity for the match - wonder if not everyone moves to their outside seating during the match & they instead opt to stay inside?
Club Chin Chin is in Selwood Stand? I usually go to the Peroni Lounge, now 1859 Lounge, in Reg Hickey Stand. Prefer to be on the wing. Wonder if there is still lounge seating in 1859 Lounge? Can't find one photo on Google.

Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back