Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Chappy arguably cost Geelong a tilt at the 2013 premiership, with (a) his dodgy hamstring during 2013, and (b) getting himself reported and suspended after the semi final. He could have been the difference between winning and losing. The point I'm making is he should not have been calling the shots about his next contract, but he turned 'selfish'.
Yes, and no - obviously, in a game which was decided by less than a kick, anything could have decided the flag, from Trav Varcoe's miss, to Hawkins' and Simpson's injuries, to the decision to make Chappy the sub in the QF, to Ablett leaving.

I can't blame Chappy in some ways. Had to fight absolutely tooth and nail to get to where he was; he was always going to have to be carried off in a box.

Basing it on total career (projected career for a couple, but they've done enough), not just time with Hawkins.

Mine:

FB: Stewart, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Holmes, Dangerfield, Duncan
HF: Chapman, Cameron, Miers
FF: Johnson, Hawkins, Stengle
FOL: Ottens, Selwood, Ablett
IC: Bartel, Corey, Blicavs, Kelly, C.Guthrie(sub)

There are plenty of "tallish" general defenders there who can play third tall, or Blicavs can do that.

Likewise no real need for Mooney as a third key forward. Miers elite delivery to the others works better. Dangerfield and Bartel when they rotate forward are marking targets.

Holmes and Duncan can roll to half back. Stewart can rotate to midfield. Corey and Kelly are capable on the wing or in midfield. SJ and Chappy obviously are forward/mid splits too while Danger and Bartel (plus Ablett) are mid/forwards.

It'd be a pretty hard team to stop.

Good side but needs more Varcoe. 2009-11 Trav was a gun, I'd still take him over Miers even considering how good Miers has been the past two years.

Absolutely convinced we beat the Hawks in the Prelim if he plays.
In a game that was decided by five points, that's not exactly going out on a limb - anything from a dropped mark to an umpiring call makes the difference.

That said, we were lucky to be within four goals of them by the end. They controlled the game but couldn't put it on the board.

Absolutely convinced we beat the Hawks in the Prelim if he plays.
With Dawson Simpson and Enright playing we're the premiers that year.
Not to mention Hawkins back.

In a game that was decided by five points, that's not exactly going out on a limb - anything from a dropped mark to an umpiring call makes the difference.

That said, we were lucky to be within four goals of them by the end. They controlled the game but couldn't put it on the board.

I like making a unique, big, Kane Cornes like statement every now and again.

"Chris Scott needs to make a statement after the loss last night by firing all of his assistants"

“I’d give Geelong a C plus for this year. I’m not sure why I’m marking them so low but I’m utterly incapable of suggesting anyone other than myself is doing a good job in the AFL system”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

glenn kilpatrick

Yup. We were comfortably the best team that season, if not for injury we'd have walked in the Premiership without a doubt.
No Enright, Hawkins couldn't walk, no ruckman...
Eh, I'm not so sure about that to be honest. Hawthorn were a couple of goals better than everyone else that year IMO, it would have taken a bit of luck to beat them.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that to be honest. Hawthorn were a couple of goals better than everyone else that year IMO, it would have taken a bit of luck to beat them.

Not sure about that. We should have beaten them in the prelim after having to play every week of the finals, with no Enright, no Chapman, no ruckman and essentially no Hawkins.
If Hawkins doesn't get injured he'd have been the best player in the comp in 2013, Enright and Chapman play and Dawson Simpson don't get injured and we win that game by 5/6 goals, all things being equal.

Not sure about that. We should have beaten them in the prelim after having to play every week of the finals, with no Enright, no Chapman, no ruckman and essentially no Hawkins.
We were lucky to be within cooee of them - if they'd actually kicked straight, or converted their avalanche of i50s, they would have been out of sight.

We were lucky to be within cooee of them - if they'd actually kicked straight, or converted their avalanche of i50s, they would have been out of sight.

We had them covered.
Even when we fell behind, Travis Varcoe had a great opportunity to tie up the game with a minute remaining. Hawthorn had put everything into that 10 minute patch to hit the front so who knows how they would have gone in extra time.

We had them covered.
Even when we fell behind, Travis Varcoe had a great opportunity to tie up the game with a minute remaining. Hawthorn had put everything into that 10 minute patch to hit the front so who knows how they would have gone in extra time.
They had something like 50% more i50s. I'm sorry, but we were absolutely on the back foot barring a short period in the third.

They had something like 50% more i50s. I'm sorry, but we were absolutely on the back foot barring a short period in the third.

We had them covered for three quarters though. We were clearly the better team up until then. I will give you the last quarter but to make it appear as though they were the better side that night is false.
If Geelong had Enright and Chapman playing on top it it all, we effectively win the game given they were two of the best finals players we had ever produced.

Basing it on total career (projected career for a couple, but they've done enough), not just time with Hawkins.

Mine:

FB: Stewart, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Holmes, Dangerfield, Duncan
HF: Chapman, Cameron, Miers
FF: Johnson, Hawkins, Stengle
FOL: Ottens, Selwood, Ablett
IC: Bartel, Corey, Blicavs, Kelly, C.Guthrie(sub)

There are plenty of "tallish" general defenders there who can play third tall, or Blicavs can do that.

Likewise no real need for Mooney as a third key forward. Miers elite delivery to the others works better. Dangerfield and Bartel when they rotate forward are marking targets.

Holmes and Duncan can roll to half back. Stewart can rotate to midfield. Corey and Kelly are capable on the wing or in midfield. SJ and Chappy obviously are forward/mid splits too while Danger and Bartel (plus Ablett) are mid/forwards.

It'd be a pretty hard team to stop.
Zouz Kitty your boy gets a gig

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats top 10 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back