Strategy Changes and Pre-match discussion (Freo 15/7, MCG 1.45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Steele is ready as hoped, he’s in. If we want to manage minutes, he could be our sub. You risk him being needed if an injury happens early but it would make sense.

We recruited McStay for a reason. The VFL was his first game back and the delivery to F50 at that level is appalling. So I say get him back if he’s ready. Let’s see what he can do in the lead up to the finals. Last night showed me we really are missing a solid target up forward. Jamie keeps having to play tall.

I’d not rush checkers or Bruzzy back. So give them both the extra week.

Ins: McStay, Sidebottom (sub perhaps)
Outs: WHE (injured), bianco (omitted)

Sub: Sidebottom or HH back in for another go. He impressed me in the twos. Looks above that level. If he comes in, Frampton out. We were too tall last night.

Frampton came to the club as a defender but he doesn't seem to be playing that role. I think that's where he should be.
It’s where he’s at his best undoubtably. But he’s 4th string behind Moore, Howe and Murphy.
Howe back up forward and Frampton down back is an interesting prospect. I wonder if Howe would be up for it.

It’s where he’s at his best undoubtably. But he’s 4th string behind Moore, Howe and Murphy.
Howe back up forward and Frampton down back is an interesting prospect. I wonder if Howe would be up for it.
We would miss Howe’s kicking out of defence. Unfortunately for Frampton, the defence is set at the moment and he can’t do it as a forward.

Looking ahead to the Port game and basically dismissing Freo as a danger game....

McStay - not picking him on his VFL form yet
Checkers - rather err on the side of caution and rest him
Sidebottom - same as Checkers
Ginnivan - I think he has slipped way down the pecking order now

In : Maynard
Out : WHE

This is an ideal game to further manage / rest players

Last edited:
I'd rather see Cox or Cameron out than Frampton then just move Billy around... he can play fwd/ruck/def.

Can he really play forward? Can he really play ruck? I love that he can pinch hit in those roles to replace injured players, makes him valuable, but in our best team, for me, he is either a defender or not in the side.

I think Cox is clearly a better forward and ruck and for me he is in.

Frampton would be dependent on who we play. Like he is a perfect match up for Dixon and a Peter Wright, Tom Lynch, but not against all forwards.

If all are fit and was a final:
In: Sidebottom, Mihocek, McStay, Maynard
Out: WHE (inj), Johnson ,Frampton, Bianco
Sub: whoevers turn
Probably ends up being 2 changes since we have the luxury of depth and Freo at home.

Can't see McStay ever McPlaying if he and Checkers cannot be in the same team. I thought the reason for recruiting him was to relieve Checkers of the responsibility of being a key forward.
Was just listening to crunch time and they said basically the same thing about McStay and Checkers, it’s hard to see them playing together.

Was just listening to crunch time and they said basically the same thing about McStay and Checkers, it’s hard to see them playing together.
Well, obviously, the plan is for them to play together. That's why we recruited McStay in the first place. I'll back the decision makers at our club over bozos in the media who are free to throw out comments with no consequences when they turn out to be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was no mention of Mihocek and I’m assuming they keep him on ice until Port, but McRae spoke about Maynard in his presser. The gist of it was that Maynard declared himself good to go. This is only my interpretation, but it seemed like a situation where the medicos will need to step in for him to miss.
Maynard’s shoulder is what it is (will probably need a reco at years end) and an extra week or 2 rest probably won’t make a massive difference.
Just got to hope he gets through ok until end of season with no major setbacks

I don’t get the can’t play both Checkers and McStay at all. It’s been the plan when recruiting him. Checkers gets triple teamed each week. McStay helps to stop that. Triple team Checkers and you leave McStay available.

It sort of reminds me of the Rocca Rocca, Tarrant Rocca, or Dawes Cloke concept. Harder to cover both.

I know the game has changed but I think you still need two genuine big forward targets.

A ruck that rests up forward is not a forward.

I don’t get the can’t play both Checkers and McStay at all. It’s been the plan when recruiting him. Checkers gets triple teamed each week. McStay helps to stop that. Triple team Checkers and you leave McStay available.

It sort of reminds me of the Rocca Rocca, Tarrant Rocca, or Dawes Cloke concept. Harder to cover both.

I know the game has changed but I think you still need two genuine big forward targets.

A ruck that rests up forward is not a forward.
Yeah, thanks for that Mick!!!

McStay or Johnson 2nd ruck. Prefer Johnson to keep structure up forward.

FB: Maynard Moore Howe
HB: Noble Murphy Quaynor

R: Cameron N.Daicos DeGoey
C: J.Daicos Pendlebury Sidebottom

HF: Johnson McStay McCreery
FF: Hill Mihocek Elliott

INT:
Crisp
Mitchell
Adams
Lipinski

SUB:
Markov

EMG:
Frampton
Cox
Macrae

McStay or Johnson 2nd ruck. Prefer Johnson to keep structure up forward.

FB: Maynard Moore Howe
HB: Noble Murphy Quaynor

R: Cameron N.Daicos DeGoey
C: J.Daicos Pendlebury Sidebottom

HF: Johnson McStay McCreery
FF: Hill Mihocek Elliott

INT:
Crisp
Mitchell
Adams
Lipinski

SUB:
Markov

EMG:
Frampton
Cox
Macrae
Farkin strong interchange and sub.
Best we have had in my pie supporting time.

from my Delorean

We would miss Howe’s kicking out of defence. Unfortunately for Frampton, the defence is set at the moment and he can’t do it as a forward.
Murphy showed last night he struggles on a genuine key forward

Murphy showed last night he struggles on a genuine key forward
If you just go on last night you could say the same about Darcy Moore too. The reality is that our defenders play off their man - the agile jumping KPFs like Naughton and JUH would love it, but so far this season our defence has been outstanding.

Surely you are selecting Cox over Johnson when it comes to a big game?

Cox is the better ruckman.

Cox can drop back into defence to help out.

Cox is one of our main outlets from defence.

I would also have more faith in Cox ripping apart a final than I would Johnson.

Love Johnson as a player but I'm selecting Cox every single time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Surely you are selecting Cox over Johnson when it comes to a big game?

Cox is the better ruckman.

Cox can drop back into defence to help out.

Cox is one of our main outlets from defence.

I would also have more faith in Cox ripping apart a final than I would Johnson.

Love Johnson as a player but I'm selecting Cox every single time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
You’re selecting Johnson over Cox if you want a proper forward though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back