Strategy Changes and Pre-match discussion (Freo 15/7, MCG 1.45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Buckley wants the player who receives the ball to immediately dispose of it. If that player is tackled , regardless of having no prior opportunity, he must dispose of the ball . As it is now, the player can just hang on to the ball. I think his theory is that if it is policed then it will discourage the handball to a stationary player during clearances, thus opening up the play more and having less stoppages. I don't really know how that would look but it would certainly change the game a bit

The problem is that some players will paddle the ball forward instead of picking it up. And tackling will be as high priority as winning the ground ball.

You want 50-50 contests not one where a player either tackles or paddles it on because that's the best chance of maintaining possession.

There would be more flow ons from Buckley's theory. But then again maybe they should try it for a pre-season game or something 🤷

Nah they contested the charge, it hasn’t been appealed.
Well that it makes it confusing when the media report it as :

'And star Fremantle midfielder Caleb Serong will join him on the sidelines, failing in his appeal to overturn a one-match ban for a dangerous tackle on Carlton's Adam Cerra.'

..and say the ban is upheld.

Weird logic.
Meaning that on our form vs theirs of late, could be seen as an easy/easier win. Aka before Nth and Eagles game. Add one of their better players out, mentally might become easier but physically not so. You know, playing the game above the shoulders theory.

Or refer 2019 Prelim with Toby and Co out.

I think Buckley wants the player who receives the ball to immediately dispose of it. If that player is tackled , regardless of having no prior opportunity, he must dispose of the ball . As it is now, the player can just hang on to the ball. I think his theory is that if it is policed then it will discourage the handball to a stationary player during clearances, thus opening up the play more and having less stoppages. I don't really know how that would look but it would certainly change the game

Remember when the bloke who had been tackled used to have to flap around like an electrocuted fish to pretend that they were trying to dispose of it?

They do need to bring back that you've got to try to get rid of the ball and be pretty harsh on it. Bring back the electrocuted fish.

At the moment, it's too big an advantage to the bloke who has been tackled. If it's judged as no prior, they can get a free, they can hold it in if it advantages their team or get it out whenever there is a player in an advantageous position. And the umpires have to leave it at this situation for ages with the tackler risking suspension if they take the player to ground to stop him from dishing off.

Last edited:
One last post to annoy jmac.

The binary of intentional and careless being the only options only works if you've first split the conduct into reasonable and unreasonable and Chrisso has thrown out the reasonable conduct. Whether he looks at that before or after the other factors doesn't matter.

You are learning.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are learning.

Not really. I still view it the same. If it's reasonable, it's not careless and thus you can get out of the charge by challenging the careless ruling. But as that distinction is done prior your probably technically correct as you'd be technically challenging the reasonable/unreasonable classification.

Not really. I still view it the same. If it's reasonable, it's not careless and thus you can get out of the charge by challenging the careless ruling. But as that distinction is done prior your probably technically correct as you'd be technically challenging the reasonable/unreasonable classification.
1689097702735.gif

Regressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meaning that on our form vs theirs of late, could be seen as an easy/easier win. Aka before Nth and Eagles game. Add one of their better players out, mentally might become easier but physically not so. You know, playing the game above the shoulders theory.

You’re overthinking it.

I agree with Apex. We didn’t take a different approach v either North or WC. North were in the midst of a good patch of footy and we bossed them up to 3/4 time. WC were out there like it was 2018 with Sheed, Yeo and Duggan having by far their best games of the past few years. Even Adelaide treated it like their GF the other week then went for a Sunday stroll their next time on the road.

One constant under Buckley was that the mental aptitude for the contest always a question pre-game. I lost track of the number of times we weren’t in it mentally. Fly seems to have struck the right balance in engaging the group and the only times on his watch we’ve seemed “off” has coincided with illness sweeping through the group.

As a system matchup this is a tough one for Fremantle at their best because they aren’t a good transition team which means they have to be dominant at stoppage to have a shot at knocking us off. You then take out their best two stoppage players in Fyfe and Serong plus their best tall defender in Cox and the window to being competitive starts shrinking. Looking at this on pure analytics I struggle to see how they kick 60+ points and restrict us below 80 so I’d be surprised with a sub 40 point result. My lizard brain though will continue to wait on the Brisbane v Hawthorn or Melbourne v GWS result…

I
I agree with Apex. We didn’t take a different approach v either North or WC. North were in the midst of a good patch of footy and we bossed them up to 3/4 time. WC were out there like it was 2018 with Sheed, Yeo and Duggan having by far their best games of the past few years. Even Adelaide treated it like their GF the other week then went for a Sunday stroll their next time on the road.

One constant under Buckley was that the mental aptitude for the contest always a question pre-game. I lost track of the number of times we weren’t in it mentally. Fly seems to have struck the right balance in engaging the group and the only times on his watch we’ve seemed “off” has coincided with illness sweeping through the group.

As a system matchup this is a tough one for Fremantle at their best because they aren’t a good transition team which means they have to be dominant at stoppage to have a shot at knocking us off. You then take out their best two stoppage players in Fyfe and Serong plus their best tall defender in Cox and the window to being competitive starts shrinking. Looking at this on pure analytics I struggle to see how they kick 60+ points and restrict us below 80 so I’d be surprised with a sub 40 point result. My lizard brain though will continue to wait on the Brisbane v Hawthorn or Melbourne v GWS result…
Interesting take. I thought we always showed commitment under Buckley, but the game plan wasn't right. I thought that some of our teams grit and professionalism actually came from that era, all those guys having to try to win the hard way through guts and determination but poor method. I feel that this era has brought method rather than discipline and commitment, but also more fun. But that's just one view from the outside

collingwood.jpg

Craig McRae is hopeful of regaining Brayden Maynard and Steele Sidebottom for Saturday's game against Fremantle at the MCG. Dan McStay made a low-key return in the VFL in his first game since round five last weekend, but could be considered with Brody Mihocekruled out for a second week with a hamstring issue. Fin Macrae has been in the squad for much of the season without getting a look in and put his hand up again with 38 touches in the VFL last Friday. Harvey Harrison kicked three goals against Footscray, while Josh Carmichael was strong with 25 disposals and Jack Ginnivan kicked a couple of goals at Avalon Airport Oval. Jakob Ryanwas the carryover emergency last weekend and didn't play at any level. The Magpies will need to replace Will Hoskin-Elliott (hand). – Josh Gabelich
R17 sub: Trent Bianco (replaced Will Hoskin-Elliott)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back