Preview Changes for the Mighty Dogs into the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no way JJ comes out based on his game last night, he was great, he won his spot in team, he had more body on line contests in that game than he has had in last 5 years combined. Vanders or Roake will be the unlucky depending on fitness/matchups

After watching the game last night and again this morning, if that was one of JJ's better games the last 5 years must've been real stinkers, didn't put his body in, just hung around outside waiting for cheap possessions. Three kicks in the first quarter (had 8 for the entire game) and 2 of them were straight to Port players. At least R Smith, VDM and Hannan actually put their bodies on the line and earn't their possessions or created a contest.

One thing I love about NFL is the whole playing list of the winning Superbowl team receive a championship ring even if they didn’t play in the Superbowl. That it’s not just about one game, but the whole year. Having played as many players as we have and seeing our own playing list arm in arm post-game last night reminds me of this.

I also appreciate the bye in the week leading up to the Superbowl. We may have fallen into it this year with COVID, but I think the bye pre-Grand Final is better than between last H&A round/first week of finals.

Agree would love for anyone who played during the season for the winning team to get the medallion

After watching the game last night and again this morning, if that was one of JJ's better games the last 5 years must've been real stinkers, didn't put his body in, just hung around outside waiting for cheap possessions. Three kicks in the first quarter (had 8 for the entire game) and 2 of them were straight to Port players. At least R Smith, VDM and Hannan actually put their bodies on the line and earn't their possessions or created a contest.
Genuinely hilarious view, what did JJ do to you mate? This is a safe space you can talk to us here

Set the scene by taking a chest mark without flinching in the first quarter with Jonas charging at him. Was a very solid game and played his role extremely well. I suppose some people just find the need to find fault in something. Should be celebrating a great team effort instead of posting that crap.

I thought VDM was very good last night early. Applied a lot of pressure, several score involvements and a goal. He is the sort of player you want in the side.

Having said that, if he tore his hammy, or there is any doubt whatsoever over his fitness, then he is clearly the omission for Weightman.

In: Weightman, Keith

Out: VDM (inj.), Cordy

Apologies to Cordy. But the reality is Keith is our best key position defender and must come in if he is 100% fit.

It’s going to be a tough week at the selection table. Good problem to have.

It's going to be Gardner or Cordy. Whilst match committee has stuck by Gardner late in the year, Cordys game last night was great. He didn't try and do too much when he got the footy and spoiled with purpose. Gardner was solid on Marshall too. Zane is only 2cm shorter than Gardner and is better in big moments and I'd pick him over Gardner.

The other out is Roarke unless VDM is injured. Butchered the ball again last night, just panic's when he gets it every time. Laith was back to his best in the first half, 4 score involvements and had the dash back.
Roarke to be Sub.

Vandermeer is our hard luck story - hammy might not get up in time, out for Cody.
Cordy for Keath.

I suspect Bevo might be tempted to go back to three talls but inthe end we'll roll the dice with Williams playing tall again and running off his opponent, a la 2009 Gilbee
Schache rolled to defence for the last 10 minutes of the match. If Stef can run out the game well, it's always a tactic we can use to get an extra tall in defence, because Naughton and English should be able to be enough of a target up forward.

Last time we had a Geelong discard as a key defender in a GF it turned out ok.

Cordy for keath
Roarke/vdm for flea depending on VDM and fleas fitness.
Wallis the sub- deffinetly more talented/faster options but no one will come close to the desperation wallis will show on the big stage.

FB: wood Keath Williams
HB: Dale Gardner Daniel
C: Treloar Macrae Hunter
HF: Smith Naughton Hannan
F: English Schache Weightman
R: Martin Bonti Libba
IC: Duryea, Dunkley, JJ, VDM

Sub: Wallis

Out - roarke, Cordy
In - weightman, Keath

VDM played great last night. Competed so well. With Treloar moving back to the wing, roarke has to miss.

I’m giving Wally the sub. Big guy deserves it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Great looking team, but Wally as the sub is the heart, not the head talking.
The thing that makes this so difficult is the fact that our bottom 6 played so well against Port.

Keath comes in for Cordy
Weightman comes in for VDM/JJ/Roarke

Whoever makes way for Weightman plays as the sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time we had a Geelong discard as a key defender in a GF it turned out ok.

Cordy for keath
Roarke/vdm for flea depending on VDM and fleas fitness.
Wallis the sub- deffinetly more talented/faster options but no one will come close to the desperation wallis will show on the big stage.
I like this one. It has to be done.

Scott or Richards need to be the sub. Having the flexibility to play multiple roles should get you the nod. Based on last night you’d expect Bevo to pick Scott.

Keath in for Cordy. The Dixon matchup suited Cordy, but Melbourne's forwards are a lot more mobile.

Weightman in for VDM... Give JJ a role on Salem, and get Rourke doing his defensive wingman thing.

VDM sub. He was great last night, and would work great as a burst player. We have enough utility players that we don't need another one as sub.

I'd have said Rourke out, but Melbourne's wings are dangerous, and Rourke plays a good defensive wing role for us so we need him there. Just teach him to handball when he has the ball inside 50 and he'll be fine.

Presuming all are fit and healthy I'm making 2 changes to the 23.

Keath' and Cody have to come in.

Cordy was good but he's the only defender that's non-essential for mine so regrettably he has to make way

The only other player in the 23 I can have out is Scott.

Bit unlucky, but Roarke is a good Medi Sub for mine as he can play multiple roles and can add some hardness late if required.

In: Keath', Weightman
Out (of 23); Cordy, Scott

Melbourne scares me tbh.

Who takes Gawn/Jackson when they rest forward? They're weapons for Melbourne. We might actually need Cordy.

We don’t mind going a tad shorter in games.
Keath - Brown
Gardner - Resting ruck
Duryea - Fritsch
Williams - mcdonald

I would hate to be on the match committee this week 😬😬😬😬.

Flee for Vanders (obviously depends on how he pulls up with tightness)

Keath for Gardner (I just think cordy is better suited of the 2 for this game)

Sub I would love it to be Wally but I know it won’t happen 💔. It would have to be Young due to Keath and Martin probably not being 100% or could brake down, it would give us the most flexibility.

Its such a hard call tho especially tapping either Gardner or Cordy on the shoulder saying you are out for Keath.

We will have to just trust the committee to make the right call for the matchups and fitness of each player. Doesn’t matter who is picked as they will all give 100% as they did last night and should all be proud of themselves.

Go dogs!!

Ffs, please let every media outlet pump up the demons over the next two weeks.

My guess is that the narrative will start with the dogs given our game was the most recent, and there’ll be a lot of talk about 2016 and winning despite being 5th and travelling all around.etc etc.

Sometime around midweek there’ll be a switch to Brownlow and Oliver/Petracca v Bont.

After the Brownlow the dees fairytale/drought breaking flag becomes the main story for the rest of the week - which is completely fair enough and exactly what we got five years ago.

If the dogs had only won in a close one then I think the dees would be pumped up massively, but because both teams had a stroll in the park in the end it’ll be a bit more even.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for the Mighty Dogs into the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back