Preview Changes for the Prelim v Port Adelaide - Sat @7:40

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to too much of the 'DIXXXXXOONNNN' commentary any time he's within 10 metres of the ball.
They're a smug bunch.

Many were working out how to get QF tickets during the week of round 23 and many are looking to the grand final already

They're in the box seat but they're still not that good. Beaten 2 sides inside the top 5 and those were the last two weeks

Yes they had stats their way against us but we had a 4 goal lead early and they won by 2 points with minutes to go. And we had our chance to win it at the death and should have.

They're a smug bunch.

Many were working out how to get QF tickets during the week of round 23 and many are looking to the grand final already

They're in the box seat but they're still not that good. Beaten 2 sides inside the top 5 and those were the last two weeks

Yes they had stats their way against us but we had a 4 goal lead early and they won by 2 points with minutes to go. And we had our chance to win it at the death and should have.

We were genuinely outplayed from about 10 minutes into the first qtr. They were what, 1.9 at one stage. They were all over us for the majority of the game and Bevo has acknowledged this previously.

We were genuinely outplayed from about 10 minutes into the first qtr. They were what, 1.9 at one stage. They were all over us for the majority of the game and Bevo has acknowledged this previously.
So because they missed some shots, which is bad football by the way, we shouldn't have won.

Righto

Regardless of Port's shortcomings during that game, we lead for all but a few minutes. So yes, we should have won

Even if Stef isn’t playing, doesn’t hurt to have Port think that he is

But if he is I think it swings the mid battle in our favour even without Bont in there and a forward line with Naughts in it is always gonna cause some problems for oppo if there’s a lot of entries

They're a smug bunch.

Being in the 'box seat' means nothing this week. It's entirely up for grabs. Which team wants it more? Which team is more desperate? If that's us, we win.

Exactly. Outplayed for so much of the game and we nearly snatched it. That's got to have them worried. If we turn it on, look out.

At the moment, he absolutely can be. Naughton is 21 and when he hits his peak he'll be better than Dixon at his peak.
TBH Dixon has more chance of tearing a game apart but I'd take Naughton today, let alone in coming years.
He's never out of the contest - either flying for marks or applying elite defensive pressure. He gives 100% effort 100% of the time and sets an incredible example for teammates.

You can see Starcevich land on the back of Bont’s leg when it happened, driving the knee into the ground.

I actually had something similar happen this year where I got tackled from behind with the weight of the other player coming down through the upper calf. The initial pain the following day was that of a corked calf but as that wore off over a couple of days, most of the pain sat in the front of the knee. Covid hit so I was able to spend a couple of weeks recovering from what I feel was a bone bruise.

Not saying that they’re the same thing at all, but if there’s no ligament damage then the knee pain could be bone bruising which can be quite painful in itself a technically a ‘corky’.

How well do you think you could of played on it a week later?

At the moment, he absolutely can be. Naughton is loo and 21 and when he hits his peak he'll be better than Dixon at his peak.
1 is a tall forward who can't mark or kick. The other is a tall forward who can't kick.

Id say Naughton is better, but he cost me in a multi few weeks back when he had 3 attempts at a set shot in last qtr and sprayed them all. Might sneak him into this weekends multi so much of the same happens again.

How well do you think you could of played on it a week later?
Zero chance I’d say. Tried to train on the Thursday but was limping the entire time on pretty bad pain. In saying that I also had about 12 beers after I sustained the injury while Bont would have round the clock medical assistance :tearsofjoy:

So because they missed some shots, which is bad football by the way, we shouldn't have won.

Righto

Regardless of Port's shortcomings during that game, we lead for all but a few minutes. So yes, we should have won

9 times out of ten they kick 3 more goals and win the game comfortably.

Bevo himself said we were outplayed for the majority

9 times out of ten they kick 3 more goals and win the game comfortably.

Bevo himself said we were outplayed for the majority

Absolutely. It was like the reverse of the Essendon game; we were smashed in general play but our accuracy kept us in it. They were the better team on the night - anyone who an ounce of impartiality could see that. But that doesn't mean they are better than us in general. It only takes for one team to lift by 1% and the other to drop off by 1% to change the power dynamic entirely in such an even comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if I can’t have Martin I’d almost prefer to see this and than run with young again. Hope Dunkley has his jumping shoes on again!

Tim is a liability when he rucks Solo. One of the reasons he performed well in the second half vs Brisbane was that he was relatively fresh in the second half. Tim will get demolished around the ground if he rucks >70% game time.

Absolutely. It was like the reverse of the Essendon game; we were smashed in general play but our accuracy kept us in it. They were the better team on the night - anyone who an ounce of impartiality could see that. But that doesn't mean they are better than us in general. It only takes for one team to lift by 1% and the other to drop off by 1% to change the power dynamic entirely in such an even comp.
They were.. but we still should have won

They only kicked 12 goals against a shyte Geelong as well... yes they had plenty of shots on goal but that's bad football

When we were 16 points up with 10 minutes to go against Port, Daisy Pearce suggested that English is fresh and his role for the final ten minutes should be to take every centre bounce and then predominantly play behind the ball.

I reckon that's a move that would have won us the game.

It's easy to say that in hindsight, but I fear if we're in a similar position on Saturday night, we could get overrun if we don't play an extra tall behind the ball. English would be perfect in that role.

Agree with this. Thought were just hanging on in the last three quarters and lucky to still be a chance with a few minutes left.

But the last two week we have been able to get back to at least close to our best, so I'm confident we will be in this game for a large part of it.

Zero chance I’d say. Tried to train on the Thursday but was limping the entire time on pretty bad pain. In saying that I also had about 12 beers after I sustained the injury while Bont would have round the clock medical assistance :tearsofjoy:

The other thing to take into account if it was a similar incident is suburban grounds can be rock solid where the Gabba is well grassed and softer creating less of an impact on the knee.

It makes a lot of sense for Stef Martin to use his size to wear Lycett down, then have English cover the ground better and not be as physically intimidated and passive for the 2nd half or the last quarter. If Stef has to rest of the last quarter, it's not the end of the world for short spurts to have 2 or 3 on the bench late in a cracking game. They get the two weeks off, anyway.

Another factor is simply Stef has another week to recover - whilst he did play in the scratch match two weeks ago, the very rest he's had over two weeks has given him ample time to recover. Counterbalanced with reduced match fitness and ability to run out a game, I know, but the two weeks since he could have played might have removed the general soreness and the injuries he's had all season.

If we can get a game that's half as good at stopping a strong ruck as he was one of our best players in Round 1 v Collingwood and stopping Grundy (feels like five lifetimes ago, to be honest), I'd almost make us favourites for the game.

If Martin plays and gets subbed out because he got a “bad knock or tightness” in the 3rd quarter and they sub young in can Martin still play in the grand final if there’s a week off and given we win..??

If Martin plays and gets subbed out because he got a “bad knock or tightness” in the 3rd quarter and they sub young in can Martin still play in the grand final if there’s a week off and given we win..??
There’s no week off rule for any other injury other than a concussion so yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for the Prelim v Port Adelaide - Sat @7:40

Remove this Banner Ad

Back