Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 20 vs. Carlton, MCG, Fri 28/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McRae’s presser gave an insight into what we value as a club. He first spoke of us being poor at the contest during the 2nd and 3rd quarters in particular suggesting that if you paused the footage moving out of contest you’d consistently see more Port jumpers. His solution sub out one of our best contest players for more run.

Unless Ginnivan gets a run transplant his chances of pushing past Hill in 2023 sit somewhere between zero and none. That’s before we take into account that he also needs to push past WHE…

This.

We all love Ginny but Bobby has him covered by the length of the Flemington straight in 2023.

We would have to lose 3 of our last 5 to lose top position.
Good times

This.

We all love Ginny but Bobby has him covered by the length of the Flemington straight in 2023.
I watched the replay of the last Q this afternoon and I’m less confident on Bobby in relation to WHE. Unless he’s had a setback WHE will be available for selection this week and in finals I reckon he has Bobby covered…

It's a good thought RE JDG but I'd question whether you a) JDG has the discipline to stick with the task relentlessly for 4 quarters and b) whether we'd want to take away JDG's instinctual game style from what we're doing at the moment.

I like the Pendlebury stoppage-only style where he positions himself to stop him running rampant from the stoppage. We don't seem to nor need to do a hard tag.

Pendles is the best matchup league wide for Cripps.

He also plays the role of our defensive mid at stoppage so you can bank on him locking Cripps away on Fri night.

No Kenndy or Walsh really hurts the Blues chances of knocking us off. We know how clearance reliant they are.

I feel like that might be recency bias, however. His last full game he was lauded for having 11 contested possessions amongst 24 disposals and 5 tackles. He didn’t drop off the perch that quickly.

100% it's recency bias.

Titch has had a very good season, with a quiet 2 weeks due to being the sub and being subbed.

It doesn't take away from his importance to the side. Fly has clearly wanted to freshen him up. Whether he is carrying a niggle and gets rested remains to be seen.

I know who i want at the first centre bounce in a big final. He eats contested footy for brekky.

I watched the replay of the last Q this afternoon and I’m less confident on Bobby in relation to WHE. Unless he’s had a setback WHE will be available for selection this week and in finals I reckon he has Bobby covered…

Apples and oranges.

Bobby is a genuine small forward, WHE is the high half forward. Therefore it's he or Lippa for that role.

I think the coaches had chances to drop Bobby during the season. They didn't so you'd be very surprised to see him omitted in the run home to the finals.

Apples and oranges.

Bobby is a genuine small forward, WHE is the high half forward. Therefore it's he or Lippa for that role.

I think the coaches had chances to drop Bobby during the season. They didn't so you'd be very surprised to see him omitted in the run home to the finals.
This - WHE's role is largely to provide overlapping runs from HHF or wing, holding the width in our structure (a bit like McIntosh at Tigers). He's one of the few in our side that are both suitable to play that role and can provide the enormous endurance and two way running it requires.

Bobby isn't battling with WHE for his spot I don't think, and I don't think is in any danger at the moment.

Apples and oranges.

That was my initial instinct, but I reckon they’ll find a role for WHE. It won’t be Lipinski so unless it’s a ground level player that picks up an injury Mitchell and Hill are under the most pressure.

FWIW my preference is WHE as the 24th man and to back Hill in so hopefully he puts this discussion to bed with a big match this week.

What are the odds that we as a team who have been copping almost weekly injuries all season, are now on the verge of being at full strength leading into finals all while everyone around us has players dropping like flies?

Even a team like Brisbane which has been kissed on the D with injury luck for 2 seasons even has copped a tragic injury to a key young player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the odds that we as a team who have been copping almost weekly injuries all season, are now on the verge of being at full strength leading into finals all while everyone around us has players dropping like flies?

Even a team like Brisbane which has been kissed on the D with injury luck for 2 seasons even has copped a tragic injury to a key young player.
sssssssh...you still have time to delete this.

Just as an aside to this thread’s purpose, but how awful is that. Absolute superstar in the making is Ashcroft (if not already), hope it’s just a one off an he is fit the rest of what promises to be an amazing career.

Given their current list/injury situation I’d go with:

In: Johnson
Out: Cox

They basically don’t really have a ruckman and both McStay and Johnson can give Cameron a chop out if required

Johnson makes that forward line a little more dangerous imo

Last edited:
I feel like that might be recency bias, however. His last full game he was lauded for having 11 contested possessions amongst 24 disposals and 5 tackles. He didn’t drop off the perch that quickly.
I mostly look for clearances from Tom, and he's been down. Don't really want him kicking the ball too much. I too, had been fairly happy with his performances, they weren't great but he was playing a role. Even mocked King for suggesting he could be under pressure. Adams was doing pretty well up forward too. But seeing Adams in the middle, it's simply better than what we've been getting from Mitchell, so much more forceful.

I doubt we drop Mitchell, but I think there's a question to ask. Our game relies heavily on run and he just doesn't have it, he moved very poorly against Power, worst he's looked. We've got two great runners out of our 22 in Hosk and Markov, will we be tempted to make a change? I don't think it's out of the question

The way Adams has played the last two weeks, we need him playing significant CBAs and its just not easy to do that with Mitchell in the team. Maybe we go back to rotating him forward, but we gave that up pretty quickly early in the year.

This is not a "vendetta" against him. All for it if we get the mix working with both he and Adams, and have enjoyed having him in the team. I just think it's an interesting discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back