Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 22 vs. Geelong, MCG, Fri 11/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ginnivan in for Nick. Ruscoe in for Murphy. McCreery in the middle, Ginnivan forward. Maybe cox or frampton for Johnno. Two games clear needing 1 more win ahead of finals. I think we can win any of our next 3 with Nick missing. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Did you watch the VFL? Ruscoe was outmarked by a taller opponent consistently in the first quarter - didn't see much of him the remainder of the game. If like Murphy he plays on taller guys he will be annihilated. Frampton seems a more logical replacement.

Second effort is an issue. He's really flat footed and slow to react. if he can sort that out he'll be a player, if he doesn't he'll struggle to be an automatic selection.
The other problem is that his marking is much less sure in a high pressure game. Maybe hit him up with some speed or cocaine to inflate his confidence and give him a 'devil may care' attitude towards the big games.

He’s was number one for goals kicked though

Mids couldn’t get their hands on the ball so our forwards struggled for chances. He made his opportunities count at least unlike some

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fly would have preferred 25 disposals and zero goals - because it would have shown manic effort and commitment.

Two goals and bottom 3 for disposals is not making a case for recall.
Have you asked him?

I recall an article a couple of weeks again restating Fly doesn’t looks at the stat sheet.

Stop parading your own opinion as Fly’s

Mids couldn’t get their hands on the ball so our forwards struggled for chances. He made his opportunities count at least unlike some

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Jen, that was the issue in the first QTR, after which it was pretty much an arm wrestle. Only laying ONE tackle is a very bad look.

Last edited:
Interesting you assume Geelong will continue their form line, when more often than not this season, it's been shown that teams pretty consistently "get up" to play us.

I said Hawthorn would play their best game this season before Saturday and they did

Geelong will 100% play the best game they've played for a while on Friday

This is the other reason I don't see us winning another game. Because we don't have the luxury of playing teams who are off (or extremely rarely, like Gold Coast). So we can't actually afford to be out of form and win. Yeah, we can be "off by 5-10%" and still win games, but we can't be in flat out poor form, which we are now.

Again, the only thing we have to hold onto right now, is an against the grain massive form turnaround. Which appears unlikely given the injuries we've just copped on Saturday.
The issue for us is our game plan and lack on Plan B & C - Blues & Hawks chipped the crap out of us and we let them by standing back from the mark (one of my pet hates), Hawks had 139 marks to 70 odd with 132 being uncontested - that is ridiculous amount of time to look up and hit targets and set up against. To compound this, 18-3 out of middle puts our defence 6 on 6 severely under the pump, no good defence can hold out for that long and will eventually leak goals.

-Our forward defensive pressure is as weak as anything going around in the AFL at the moment
-We have a slow aging midfield that are one way runners
-When we had 4-6 top liners out we were more unpredictable with a smaller forward line
-We have too many players with weak second efforts, AJ, JDG, Lipinski, Crisp, Mitchell, Checkers and Adams to name a few
-We have zero lockdown defenders, hence why Frampton plays every week to release Moore / Howe
-Maynard, Noble, Howe and Moore need to stop the hail Mary pass and take that extra second to be composed

Feel free to add to this list

Your current posting is essentially that every other team can and will improve if having a form slump, except for the team that is on top of the ladder having only lost 4 games. Their form slump is beyond repair and they won't win another game.

You're on a ridiculous spiral.

I never mentioned any other teams turning form around.

In fact I've barely mentioned other teams at all outside the post you quoted.

A team "getting up" for a game against us doesn't necessarily equate to a form turnaround. It's one game. In fact, this year has proven to be quite the opposite. Allegedly the stats show that many (not all) teams either lose or struggle after playing us.

Even Carlton looked a bit off for most of the game against the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To derided common sense and logic as irrelevant, reflects very poorly on your credibility.

I mean...common sense and logic would dictate that with the way we're currently playing, "maximum impact from minimal chances" is exactly the type of player we need right now?

Not sure why we'd want Ginni getting 25 disposals and not kicking any goals

I'd rather have Ginni touch the ball 7 times and kick 3 goals. Particularly if he's playing forward. I mean, Fly himself has stated we're a low possession team by design with a focus on impact and efficiency.

Right now we seem to have forwards who don't touch the ball and don't kick goals. So Ginni would be an improvement

I never mentioned any other teams turning form around.

In fact I've barely mentioned other teams at all outside the post you quoted.

A team "getting up" for a game against us doesn't necessarily equate to a form turnaround. It's one game. In fact, this year has proven to be quite the opposite. Allegedly the stats show that many (not all) teams either lose or struggle after playing us.

Even Carlton looked a bit off for most of the game against the Saints.

You're not making sense. See if you can pick the logic gap in this stuff that you're going with:

a) Teams are always up and play well against us
b) We've been playing shit for a couple of months
c) We've won 5 of 7 since the bye.

And you've somehow strung that together and concluded that the team sitting on top of the ladder with 4 losses for the year won't win another game from 5 more attempts.

Pick up that lower lip.

Fly would have preferred 25 disposals and zero goals - because it would have shown manic effort and commitment.

Two goals and bottom 3 for disposals is not making a case for recall.
I didn't watch the game but 2 goals out of 8 isn't that bad.
How many opportunities did he have to kick more?
How was the ball delivered?
Were they creative goals or from a lead and mark?

To me sometimes possessions can be cheap and therefor mean little.
Also I am not for or against Ginnivan, just curious why he isn't an option as not sure Hill's game and disposal last week was anything special.

I didn't watch the game but 2 goals out of 8 isn't that bad.
How many opportunities did he have to kick more?
How was the ball delivered?
Were they creative goals or from a lead and mark?

To me sometimes possessions can be cheap and therefor mean little.
Also I am not for or against Ginnivan, just curious why he isn't an option as not sure Hill's game and disposal last week was anything special.
Had two more opportunities, one had a very rare hit the goal post high up, which they said you'd never see it happen.
The other, he marked it at 50, but was then unselfish and kicked it closer to goal to Tardrew (who missed)

They moved him to the goal square for most of the game. I was right near the bench. Then sat him out for half the last Q

To be fair, I think WHE offers so much structure to the team. His work rate up and down the ground is huge and provides width to the ground by his running capacity
I’m still very much in the WHE fits our best 23 camp and whilst still wondering on the likes of AJ bridging the ressies to AFL gap, think some players perform better in seniors than VFL.

Heard it’s a lot scrappier to get the ball in the VFL, quality of ball you get delivered to you not as good as senior level, grounds, mindset etc.

Interesting concept of some factors players have playing AFL vs VFL.

Had two more opportunities, one had a very rare hit the goal post high up, which they said you'd never see it happen.
The other, he marked it at 50, but was then unselfish and kicked it closer to goal to Tardrew (who missed)

They moved him to the goal square for most of the game. I was right near the bench. Then sat him out for half the last Q
Was he back to playing pretty exclusively inside 50?

I mean...common sense and logic would dictate that with the way we're currently playing, "maximum impact from minimal chances" is exactly the type of player we need right now?

Not sure why we'd want Ginni getting 25 disposals and not kicking any goals

I'd rather have Ginni touch the ball 7 times and kick 3 goals. Particularly if he's playing forward. I mean, Fly himself has stated we're a low possession team by design with a focus on impact and efficiency.

Right now we seem to have forwards who don't touch the ball and don't kick goals. So Ginni would be an improvement
CP and pressure at the contest are the glaring deficiencies presently.

What has Ginnivan shown in the VFL to help in those critical areas? He layed ONE tackle yesterday.
If it was simply a question of ONLY valuing kicking goals, he would already be in the team.
Rightly there are far higher expectations of Ginnivan now that Hill has taken his spot.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere but do we know why Carmichael didn’t play VFL on the weekend? He wasn’t on the injury list last week.

CP and pressure at the contest are the glaring deficiencies presently.

What has Ginnivan shown in the VFL to help in those critical areas? He layed ONE tackle yesterday.
If it was simply a question of ONLY valuing kicking goals, he would already be in the team.
Rightly there are far higher expectations of Ginnivan now that Hill has taken his spot.
I hope they have them all in for this week. He may come in be poor, like AJ last week , like HH in his last game , like Reef in his last game but I would rather see it than not give it a go.

There are certain factors that have contributed to our 2 losses.
Against Carlton half the team had the flu that's why we dropped off.......and LOST.
i believe the team have been put under a mini pre season before the hawks game before they taper off that's why we lost to Hawks.

As far as Ginnivan is concerned he only needs 4 kicks and 4 goals against the cats he has done his job.

I LOVE THE FACT THEY ARE WRITING US OFF I HATE BEING THE BENCHMARK. NOW LETS TURN THE TABLES FROM BEING THE HUNTED TO BECOMING THE HUNTERS JUST IN TIME AS A LEAD UP TO FINALS THANKS CARLTON AND HAWTHORN

wait till we start smacking the opposition starting with Geelong.

We are 2 games clear plus percentage we beat Geelong top spot guaranteed.

All will unfold soon guys and when Naicos is back during finals PAYBACK TIME !

GO PIES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back