Preview Changes/Preview – Round 10 vs Yartapuulti @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far out there are some sooks on this board when somebody disagrees with them. Don't understand the Brown vitriol TBH, was tracking well pre injury. Seems like a good game to play him or Tmac in to some form or at least see if they are up to it. At least one of them would be featuring in our September planning so dumb not to play them at all. Sub him off if they stink it up but at least we'll know.

Far out there are some sooks on this board when somebody disagrees with them. Don't understand the Brown vitriol TBH, was tracking well pre injury. Seems like a good game to play him or Tmac in to some form or at least see if they are up to it. At least one of them would be featuring in our September planning so dumb not to play them at all. Sub him off if they stink it up but at least we'll know.
Tmac had a 4 goal game so did Brown. Why would a one off game this weekend make up your mind that's ludicrous

Tmac had a 4 goal game so did Brown. Why would a one off game this weekend make up your mind that's ludicrous

Why write these guys off after 3 and 4 games respectively this season? That's ludicrous.

Why write these guys off after 3 and 4 games respectively this season? That's ludicrous.
Except I haven't. Browns never been a physical forward, never. He does one thing and one thing only well and that's convert when you deliver it to him. That's absolutely not the player we need right now especially with 2 rucks with terrible pressure resting forward, that'll give us 3. That'll give teams an amazing opportunity to score from the back half against us.

Like all sweeping statements this is false.
0 contested marks this year and less than a tackle a game average in his Melbourne career. I don't know what brown you think you're watching but he doesn't do any grunt work.

JVR nearly has half of browns tackles in a Melbourne jumper this year alone. He also has 8 contest marks. Brown has 0

Except I haven't. Browns never been a physical forward, never. He does one thing and one thing only well and that's convert when you deliver it to him. That's absolutely not the player we need right now especially with 2 rucks with terrible pressure resting forward, that'll give us 3. That'll give teams an amazing opportunity to score from the back half against us.

Sure, that's a concern but don't think it's going to lose us the game. We need a forward who kicks goals and Ben Brown does that very well. It might backfire but don't think Port are particularly lethal off half back. Would be good to see how JVR goes next to him as well.

Sure, that's a concern but don't think it's going to lose us the game. We need a forward who kicks goals and Ben Brown does that very well. It might backfire but don't think Port are particularly lethal off half back. Would be good to see how JVR goes next to him as well.
Mate we literally don't need a forward who kicks goals. We are the highest scoring team in the league without forwards who do. Playing brown is more likely to compromise that than help it.

Mate we literally don't need a forward who kicks goals. We are the highest scoring team in the league without forwards who do. Playing brown is more likely to compromise that than help it.
Fair point. Will be interesting at selection how the coaches see it.

Both TMac and Brown on modified programs today, have this horrible feeling Joel Smith might put his hand up....

I wouldn't say no to Smith playing ahead of Tomlinson tbh

Have him as sub in case of injury

May, Lever, Hibberd can manage the Big Forwards
McVee, Rivers, Brayshaw - Mid/Small Forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notes:
Trac to play more Forward due to niggling injury
J Smith as sub in case a tall Back/Forward goes down early
Laurie in for Sparrow

In - JJ, Laurie, J Smith (Sub)
Out - Sparrow, Petty

B - Rivers, May, Hibberd
HB - McVee, Lever, Bowey
C - Langdon, Oliver, Hunter
HF - Spargo, Van Rooyen, Pickett
F - Petracca, Grundy, Fritsch
Fol - Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney
Int - Jordan, ANB, Laurie, Chandler
Sub - J Smith

My case for Brown:
  • Kicks goals really good
  • Nice tank, helps out as a marking target around the ground
  • (very) underrated field kick
  • Vegetarian
  • Funny clangers, see: his funny attempt at selling candy in one of the finals last year?
  • Takes a quality defender- quality decoy target!!!

Brown is IN for me.

My case for Brown:
  • Vegetarian
  • Funny clangers, see: his funny attempt at selling candy in one of the finals last year?

Brown is IN for me.

I don't think there are any free rides in this team. So if they pick him then he has worked for his spot.

EVEN if he does not deliver I believe they picked him because he worked for his spot and it is up to others to work harder.

I wouldn't say no to Smith playing ahead of Tomlinson tbh

Have him as sub in case of injury

May, Lever, Hibberd can manage the Big Forwards
McVee, Rivers, Brayshaw - Mid/Small Forwards

Not sure if that's a typo (Tomlinson?), but if Smith was to come in it would be as a forward replacement for Petty, not as a backman. He's been playing forward at Casey.

Agree we don't need to bring in another tall for the backline though.

My case for Brown:
  • Vegetarian

Brown is IN for me.
in ELITE form as a GROUND LEVEL THREAT in 2023

What exactly do you expect TMac and Brown to do? both useless on the long lead so it forces JVR further away from goal to do the donkey work. If a long lead is what youre after give me Schache then.
They’re actually both good on the long lead though, at least they are when fit. Doesn’t seem like either is cherry ripe It’s everything else, particularly the contested marking that Petty brings, where they fall over. I don’t really mind who it is, although I’d prefer no Joel Smith (at least TMac and Brown used to be great players). Structurally though, to let JVR work deep and bring the ball to ground for our smalls, we need another KPF to at least make a contest and be fit enough to run in straight lines.

I could see the use of Brown this week provided we use him as a lead up target off the flank. If he can get separation on an undersized defender like Jonas, he can hit up JVR kicking inside 50. He played some good footy in that role for a long time. Not convinced he’s fit though. I imagine it’ll be TMac.

I could see the use of Brown this week provided we use him as a lead up target off the flank. If he can get separation on an undersized defender like Jonas, he can hit up JVR kicking inside 50. He played some good footy in that role for a long time. Not convinced he’s fit though. I imagine it’ll be TMac.
But we never use him as that, I don't think brown is complete useless but we will absolutely just stick him in the square and dump it long to him. Browns as good as anyone at kicking inside 50 but he needs clean footy to do it. Can't trust him to win an ugly 1-1 even against an undersized defender.

From Goody's presser , i have no idea if we will accept the 1 match ban on Sparrow or not , the usual give nothing away when asked about a Petty replacement , something something named Brown , T-Mac , Melksham . Maybe he forgot about Smith . Me personally if one has to play , make it T-Mac . I really don't like seeing JVR doing ruck work in the forward line when we have 2 ruckmen running around . Trac will def play .

Strange thoughts from some, why wouldn’t we bring in TMac or Brown? Gawn/Grundy + JVR isn’t enough unless we were leaving Gawn there permanently (Grundy isn’t enough of a presence).

Leaving JVR as the sole permanent big forward to take the oppositions best defender + also have to compete against another defender or two who will no doubt float in makes no sense.

Brown was in good goal kicking form prior to injury, not sure why his tackling stats would be relevant….. he should be the one to come in for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back