Preview Changes Rd 12 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We are very reliant on Dixon? Even when quiet he is taking two or three opposition players, something Marshal, Georgiades, or Westhoff won’t do.

Too reliant? Hopefully we don’t have to find out, but it is a legitimate observation to make that he really is our main point of difference with elite contested marking / bringing the ball to ground.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The key is too reliant. In the show they said, what if he's quiet... He doesn't need to dominate. We actually have good forwards who aren't getting the best defender. We aren't saying he's not the most important player. We are saying that when he's playing we don't rely on him to kick all our goals. They made us sound one dimensional when in reality he brings everybody in the game

I feel like we are reliant on Dixon to a degree but not necessarily to play well.

If he plays and has a quiet game he still does all of the things to bring everyone else into the game and I'll still back us in.

If he doesn't play at all things get harder. Then we need a Marhsall, Georgie or Hoff to have an out of the box game.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

We're reliant on Dixon in the same way Geelong are reliant on Hawkins or West Coast are reliant on Kennedy.

We have a forward target that we use. Unbelievable.
I think it's more that having multiple tall forward targets is still a novelty for Port, so there's a tendency to go to Dixon when he's not the best option of them. Dixon will always draw more than one player to him, even if it's a tall + small, so if we get smarter on hitting up whichever of Ladhams/MG/Marshall is free in these situations we'll become that much more dangerous again (well that and Dixon stops kicking like a Stormtrooper straight in front).

I feel like we are reliant on Dixon to a degree but not necessarily to play well.

If he plays and has a quiet game he still does all of the things to bring everyone else into the game and I'll still back us in.

If he doesn't play at all things get harder. Then we need a Marhsall, Georgie or Hoff to have an out of the box game.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the more important thing about being "too reliant on Dixon" is that our f50 entries can be too predictable, especially if we're rushed.
Geelong will try to just stop Dixon getting to the drop of the ball by overpopulating the "hot spot" than to try to compete with him in the air.
We have to vary things around, even while they will be putting maximum pressure on that last kick inside f50.

The second quarter of the Richmond game showcased four great examples of our new forward structure working a treat and not being reliant on Dixon alone.
Goal 1: from a Ladhams pack mark (with Dixon in the same marking contest).
Goal 2: Dixon crashes into an opponent (after being pushed), ball spills, Woodcock snaps truly
Goal 3: Georgiades wins the free kick at CHF, kicks to Dixon vs 3 opponents at the top of the square, ball spills to a group of Port crumbers with Duursma setting up Gray for a brilliant snap
Goal 4: Butters kicks quickly and long to a 2 vs 2 pack 15m from goal. Ladhams and Georgiades fly (no Dixon in the picture), Georgiades and Sutcliffe fight at ground level for the crumb, Amon receives a handball and snaps a beauty.

We haven't had such a great display of elite crumbing in our forward line for a very long time.

I saw the footy panel where they said that we are too reliant on Dixon.

They must have missed 11 of our 13 goals against Richmond. Yeah, that must be it.

The second quarter of the Richmond game showcased four great examples of our new forward structure working a treat and not being reliant on Dixon alone.
Goal 1: from a Ladhams pack mark (with Dixon in the same marking contest).
Goal 2: Dixon crashes into an opponent (after being pushed), ball spills, Woodcock snaps truly
Goal 3: Georgiades wins the free kick at CHF, kicks to Dixon vs 3 opponents at the top of the square, ball spills to a group of Port crumbers with Duursma setting up Gray for a brilliant snap
Goal 4: Butters kicks quickly and long to a 2 vs 2 pack 15m from goal. Ladhams and Georgiades fly (no Dixon in the picture), Georgiades and Sutcliffe fight at ground level for the crumb, Amon receives a handball and snaps a beauty.

We haven't had such a great display of elite crumbing in our forward line for a very long time.
Agree, but we can expect Geelong to have another 2 players at the drop of the ball. Gonna be very crowded in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key is too reliant. In the show they said, what if he's quiet... He doesn't need to dominate. We actually have good forwards who aren't getting the best defender. We aren't saying he's not the most important player. We are saying that when he's playing we don't rely on him to kick all our goals. They made us sound one dimensional when in reality he brings everybody in the game

First quarter has shown we are too reliant on Dixon. Continually bombing to two on one and losing each time. Embarrassing quarter of football.

First quarter has shown we are too reliant on Dixon. Continually bombing to two on one and losing each time. Embarrassing quarter of football.

If you think that bombing it to Dixon is the root of our problems then the next quarter should be a breeze to fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Rd 12 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back