Changes v Carlton - IN: Tyson, Harmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, I doubt Frost comes in as he will need at least a game in the VFL to get match fit. Also, Carlton doesn't have many talls up forward so I think we can get by with the two Mac brothers.

And Spencer for Watts? A huge part of our win against the Saints was our fast, mobile forward line. Watts only probably played a C+ game against the Saints but his C+ is vastly superior to Spencer's A+++ ... Plus I hope Goody backs Jack to get back to the footy he played last year, which hopefully happens soon enough.

1) Not sure there's really THAT much difference between Carlton and the VFL right now, but I take your point. Harmes would probably be my second preference, but he worries me a bit.

2) We clearly rate Watts very differently and I appreciate that around these parts I'm in the minority.

3) With Gawn having his back issue right now (only doing walking laps at today's training) it'd be good to have insurance for the ruck and you're right about our forward line against the saints, but the Blues are a different side, as we saw at Casey. Pretty clear we also rate Spencer differently too.

3) With Gawn having his back issue right now (only doing walking laps at today's training) it'd be good to have insurance for the ruck and you're right about our forward line against the saints, but the Blues are a different side, as we saw at Casey. Pretty clear we also rate Spencer differently too.

This point is quite valid, but I would be more inclined to pick Pedersen who has experience as a defender if need be, is a more reliable second ruck than Watts and can rotate through the forward line as well. So I would have Tyson & Pederson in this week for Smith & Vince.

Last edited:
He didn't really do much, though. 16 touches (@ 93%, to be fair), 1 contested, 9 marks, 1 tackle, 4 frees given away, no inside 50s, no goals, no assists. If he was brought in for his occasionally brilliant kicking and service, there wasn't any evidence of it on the weekend. I'd rather have Kent in the side to provide a bit of spread, run and carry than Milkshakes.
Nitpicking but I'm 100% sure he had at least 1. He played on from a free kick and someone laid a shepherd for him. Hogan/Watts almost took the mark in the pocket.

And wtf? Spencer for Watts? Why exactly would we do that?

There was nothing wrong with Watts' game. He kicked one, hit the post with another and made great decisions with the ball, in setting up at least one goal if not 2. Jesus if he isn't best on people want him dropped.

EDIT: Alyways knew Bernie would get a week but it is an interesting precedent when he gets a week but the Freo Geelong game had a fight that spilled into the crowd twice and those players only get a fine. Interesting messaging.

Last edited:

Nitpicking but I'm 100% sure he had at least 1. He played on from a free kick and someone laid a shepherd for him. Hogan/Watts almost took the mark in the pocket.

And wtf? Spencer for Watts? Why exactly would we do that?

There was nothing wrong with Watts' game. He kicked one, hit the post with another and made great decisions with the ball, in setting up at least one goal if not 2. Jesus if he isn't best on people want him dropped.

EDIT: Alyways knew Bernie would get a week but it is an interesting precedent when he gets a week but the Freo Geelong game had a fight that spilled into the crowd twice and those players only get a fine. Interesting messaging.

Yeah melksham kicked it inside 50 for Garletts crumb and goal in the 3rd

Melksham wasn't that bad lol. I swear people hate him for the sake of doing so. Makes us sound like essendon supporters. If anything.. least he's good for a bit of biff! ;)

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I originally thought the same thing as you but watched the replay and he had 15 touches (one of our lowest) got caught HTB 2-3 times, multiple turnovers and a few fumbles.

I agree he shouldn't and won't get dropped and granted it's his first game back so don't expect him to be completely up to scratch but he's going to need to lift his performance. Shame there isn't really any pressure for spots on him rn.

I originally thought the same thing as you but watched the replay and he had 15 touches (one of our lowest) got caught HTB 2-3 times, multiple turnovers and a few fumbles.

I agree he shouldn't and won't get dropped and granted it's his first game back so don't expect him to be completely up to scratch but he's going to need to lift his performance. Shame there isn't really any pressure for spots on him rn.

Bugg Kent Tyson Harmes aswell as Frost and Hibberd soon. Decent depth

What happened to BenKen? BoG for us round 2 last year.
From the injuries thread:
From last night:
BenKen - has had stress reactions in his foot for the last 9 months. Will be having surgery at years' end but is playing through it.
In the thread is the fact that he chose not to get the surgery last off season.
Eh, he made the call to play through it. Said his shoulder last year was what did the real damage.

Bugg Kent Tyson Harmes aswell as Frost and Hibberd soon. Decent depth

Depth across the board is good I more meant half back and pocket depth with Hibberd/Smith/Frost/Garland all injured right now and Vince suspended. I take your point with Bugg and Harmes though. At any rate Melksham won't be dropped and hope he can improve.

According to Misson's video update:
Gawn will be in full training on Thursday - no issues.
Frost and Wagner are ready to go.
Pig is still a couple of weeks away.
And AvB is 5-6 weeks away.

According to Misson's video update:
Gawn will be in full training on Thursday - no issues.
Frost and Wagner are ready to go.
Pig is still a couple of weeks away.
And AvB is 5-6 weeks away.
Wagner probably plays then. He or Frost but they'll want a medium over a third tall I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wagner probably plays then. He or Frost but they'll want a medium over a third tall I think.

I reckon we have to learn from bringing blokes back too early from injury like Brayshaw last year. With Carlton not overly tall up front, I'd be happy with Salem/Lewis/Jones playing more through the backline to cover Smith. Or Bugg or Harmes, if they get promoted.

I reckon we have to learn from bringing blokes back too early from injury like Brayshaw last year. With Carlton not overly tall up front, I'd be happy with Salem/Lewis/Jones playing more through the backline to cover Smith. Or Bugg or Harmes, if they get promoted.
They're fairly tall. You've got Weitering, SOSOS and McKay may play with Casboult missing.

On our side right now we have literally 4 defenders fit if you aren't playing either Frost or Wagner. Four. I would much rather a 5th instead of loading up on an extra mid.

Harmes would probably be the best balance, but I'd still prefer Frost. I think it'll be either him or Wagner.

They're fairly tall. You've got Weitering, SOSOS and McKay may play with Casboult missing.

On our side right now we have literally 4 defenders fit if you aren't playing either Frost or Wagner. Four. I would much rather a 5th instead of loading up on an extra mid.

Harmes would probably be the best balance, but I'd still prefer Frost. I think it'll be either him or Wagner.

Jack Silvagni is 1.91m - hardly a monster. McKay may or may not play.

I understand the predicament we're in with a lack of taller defenders but I'd rather risk being exposed for height once or twice v Carlton than playing someone severely underdone just because they're taller.

I'll back our mids to dominate Carlton and win us the game there.

I smell a "spuds who play great against Melbourne" moment this week. Carlton to lose by 5 goals, with either Liam Jones or Levi Casboult to kick 5 in a PB display.

Jack Silvagni is 1.91m - hardly a monster. McKay may or may not play.

I understand the predicament we're in with a lack of taller defenders but I'd rather risk being exposed for height once or twice v Carlton than playing someone severely underdone just because they're taller.

I'll back our mids to dominate Carlton and win us the game there.

This, I only want Frost back in if he is 100% fit. If we lose to Carlton it won't be because we were too small down back, it'll be because our much vaunted midfield setup and much improved team defence have both gone to shit.

This point is quite valid, but I would be more inclined to pick Pedersen who has experience as a defender if need be, is a more reliable second ruck than Watts and can rotate through the forward line as well. So I would have Tyson & Pederson in this week for Smith & Vince.
Never ceases to amaze me that the longer Pedo doesn't get picked, the more he gets overrated. He's solid backup, but just has the habit of doing 2 or 3 good things when he plays (usually including a decent pack mark). Then after several weeks of not getting picked, he's better than Weid, O-Mac, Spencer and Watts.
If he stays out of the team half the season, he'll be as good as Carey. ;)

Never ceases to amaze me that the longer Pedo doesn't get picked, the more he gets overrated. He's solid backup, but just has the habit of doing 2 or 3 good things when he plays (usually including a decent pack mark). Then after several weeks of not getting picked, he's better than Weid, O-Mac, Spencer and Watts.
If he stays out of the team half the season, he'll be as good as Carey. ;)

He's a consistent contributor who tries hard and plays his role. I'm under no illusions about his skill level, and I know he'll never be a world beater but I think he's useful to have in the side atm. Could be that I'm just mythologising him (and it's not secret I have a soft spot for the man). I guess the only way to find out where he's at would be to pick him ;)

So is this year a write-off or what? If he's playing through it he must think he's a chance to play seniors.

Yes he is going to tough it out again this year but his preseason was affected. Apparently played well last weekend in the Casey practice match.

Considering Pedersen has plenty of experience in defence, and I'm sure I saw him line up there in preseason stuff, why not bring him in for Smith? Jones and Lewis can probably rotate through the Vince role like they sorta did against Carlton in JLT. Seemed to work ok that day. Maybe Salem or even Watts as well.

Considering Pedersen has plenty of experience in defence, and I'm sure I saw him line up there in preseason stuff, why not bring him in for Smith? Jones and Lewis can probably rotate through the Vince role like they sorta did against Carlton in JLT. Seemed to work ok that day. Maybe Salem or even Watts as well.

Not the worst idea, he takes a decent mark and doesn't mind putting on pressure. I'd give him a Crack

A massive one. Watch the third quarter again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep agree.
Tends to go unnoticed a bit and will sneak under many a radar this year.
Doesn't need much time or space to hurt you by foot on either side of the body either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back