Channel 7 - have your say

Remove this Banner Ad

only mistake he made was saying that someone put it in his jeans.

and they weren't even his jeans!

apparently it was a "check your jeans at the door" steam bath/sauna sort of party. and on the way out he obviously picked up the wrong pair of jeans.

could have happened to anyone.

Mark Beretta made a harsh call on sunrise this morning, calling AFL players "brats". :rolleyes:

This is going from BAD to WORSE!. I can't see Channel 7 getting out of this graciously in my wildest dreams. They will eventually back pedal and eat crow.

Ease up people. On the scale of harshness (or seriousness) this would hardly register as a 1 (out of 10).

Ease up people. On the scale of harshness (or seriousness) this would hardly register as a 1 (out of 10).

This could very well compound the issue though Waverley. Seven knows they have upset the players and having one of their employees appear on national tv and call the players brats isn't exactly going to help the situation.

AFL also made a weird stance by removing idiot Howard from their official emailing list and channel 7 announced that they were having their lawyers look into it to see if they can get him reinstated - as if it is their legal right to get emails from the AFL.

Both parties are being very stubborn about this and I can't see a reconciliation any time soon - it will be interesting to see if seven try and get the injunction lifted today or not. That will give us an idea as to how long this will go.

Can you enlarge on your statement? There is a possibility of the Brownlow Medal Presentation night being ruined, players and some coaches ignoring Channel 7 pre and post games as well as at other times, and it appears the news audience is abandoning Channel 7 in droves. All of which costs mega-bucks to Channel 7 in the form of ratings.

Re: Channel 7 apology

I really couldn't give a ****.

The players should be named and shamed imo.

They've disgraced the AFL brand.

Seriously, this moral panic is getting ridiculous. Ohmy god, people are taking drugs, run chicken little the sky is falling.

Can you enlarge on your statement? There is a possibility of the Brownlow Medal Presentation night being ruined, players and some coaches ignoring Channel 7 pre and post games as well as at other times, and it appears the news audience is abandoning Channel 7 in droves. All of which costs mega-bucks to Channel 7 in the form of ratings.

Baretta calling the players 'brats' is more primary school yard stuff than anything else. I know Baretta is an employee of 7 but he's fairly low in the food chain over there. It's like the boot studder of Collingwood thumbing his nose at Carlton as they run onto the field - who cares?

As for the other stuff that has already happened, Channel 7 is definately in a spot of bother. My point is I don't think a remark like this would add to it one little bit.

Baretta calling the players 'brats' is more primary school yard stuff than anything else. I know Baretta is an employee of 7 but he's fairly low in the food chain over there. It's like the boot studder of Collingwood thumbing his nose at Carlton as they run onto the field - who cares?

:D Good one!!

I think Channel & will finght the injunction, hoping they will be overuled so that they will appear the injured party, and won't have to make any promises about divulging any more information.

There is a possibility of the Brownlow Medal Presentation night being ruined...

Seriously, how can you ruin people reading out 3-2-1 all night while watching players drink Crown Lager (except for those that might win). Honestly watching grass grow is more entertaining. If anything, it might make it more entertaining as it will certainly decrease the time it takes.

Seriously, how can you ruin people reading out 3-2-1 all night while watching players drink Crown Lager (except for those that might win). Honestly watching grass grow is more entertaining. If anything, it might make it more entertaining as it will certainly decrease the time it takes.

But what about the ****? Won't someone please think of the ****?

I noticed Sevens argument in court is that the Club, Drugs & other details are already in the public domain, so the injunction should be lifted. They also say that if someone was talking loudly at the footy and was overheard to link the club to this, they could be held in contempt of court.

Interesting argument, but I would think that if they had not broadcast it, not many people would know!

agreed. . how they manage to milk it for 4 hours is beyond me. . .

and we get it delayed so you still end up falling asleep before it finishes anyways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed Sevens argument in court is that the Club, Drugs & other details are already in the public domain, so the injunction should be lifted. They also say that if someone was talking loudly at the footy and was overheard to link the club to this, they could be held in contempt of court.

Interesting argument, but I would think that if they had not broadcast it, not many people would know!

Oh my god is that seriously the basis of their argument? That if some yob at the footy says something to his mate next to him too loudly, that's the same as broadcasting something as fact to all of Australia?

Why do they call it common sense when it's so uncommon?

And this is the station (or network as is now called) that gave us World Of Sport, League Teams, Seven's Big League. Now we have the players and possibly the coaches denying Seven an interview request. What would the late Ron Casey be thinking right now if he was in charge of the Seven Network?

And this is the station (or network as is now called) that gave us World Of Sport, League Teams, Seven's Big League. Now we have the players and possibly the coaches denying Seven an interview request. What would the late Ron Casey be thinking right now if he was in charge of the Seven Network?

He might be thinking...."aussie rules superleague!"

Personally, I have neber understood the reeason for all the hooha about the Brownlow medal presentation. In all the years I have followed footy, I have never watched it. To me there is only one prize: THE PREMIERSHIP.

But I digress - I think Channel 7 is merely trying to divert attention away their dastardly deed by changing the focus.

Never mind Ron Casey, what about Lou Richards. :p:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22327649-27197,00.html

Interesting article in today's Courier Mail in the perspectives collumn by Mirko Bagaric, who is a lawyer (and author) by trade. Basically he claims that medical records being confidential is a fallacy, and that it's the AFL's fault, rather than Channel 7, because of their misguded policy on "recreational" drugs.

Interesting article in today's Courier Mail in the perspectives collumn by Mirko Bagaric, who is a lawyer (and author) by trade. Basically he claims that medical records being confidential is a fallacy, and that it's the AFL's fault, rather than Channel 7, because of their misguded policy on "recreational" drugs.

There are many things that are against the law that people break en masse.

Drug taking at nightclubs, perhaps? But it doesn't really make you unlucky if you get done for it, because you know it's illegal in the first place. Until the laws are changed you run a risk every time you break them.

The AFL should be commended on how they have approached this. They, in conjunction with the AFLPA and some of their more favoured media allies, have been able totally deflect everyone's attention from the real issue; just how bad is the drug problem in the AFL culture and is their drug policy in the best interest of the game and the people involved.

Are you trying to tell me that if I am a reporter that was offered Kevin Rudd's private medical records showing he was a massive ecstasy addict, and I paid for those records, wrote/aired a storey about it, that the biggest issue/fallout from it would be that I paid for the stolen records? Are you trying to tell me that the ALP would get a court injunction to stop people talking/writing about it? Would his colleagues stop talking to me and my network at press conferences because I became too personal?

Seriously, the AFL has convinced itself that they and their players are some sort of God like role models to every person in this country and whenever that image is in any way challenged, they go on the offensive, scared that they may actually be viewed as mere mortals.

:thumbsu:
The AFL should be commended on how they have approached this. They, in conjunction with the AFLPA and some of their more favoured media allies, have been able totally deflect everyone's attention from the real issue; just how bad is the drug problem in the AFL culture and is their drug policy in the best interest of the game and the people involved.

Are you trying to tell me that if I am a reporter that was offered Kevin Rudd's private medical records showing he was a massive ecstasy addict, and I paid for those records, wrote/aired a storey about it, that the biggest issue/fallout from it would be that I paid for the stolen records? Are you trying to tell me that the ALP would get a court injunction to stop people talking/writing about it? Would his colleagues stop talking to me and my network at press conferences because I became too personal?

Seriously, the AFL has convinced itself that they and their players are some sort of God like role models to every person in this country and whenever that image is in any way challenged, they go on the offensive, scared that they may actually be viewed as mere mortals.
:thumbsu: SPOT ON!! :thumbsu: The AFL and AFLPA have managed to put up the biggest smoke screen and the players are going along with it because it suits them!!........If us ordinary citizens were caught doing drugs, we would be dealt with in some form or another by the law.........we certainly wouldn't be let off scot free to do it again, then let off again when caught again, and only the third time would we get a rap over the knuckles if following the AFL rules............in other words the AFL are actually PROTECTING the players from getting caught and having to follow the same laws of the land as us mere mortals...........Memo Andrew...DRUGS ARE ILLEGAL!..........Ch7s reporting of this case at worst was very tacky, but tacky journalism has happened before by all press at some time or another, and it will happen again.......the real issue is that there seems to be a MAJOR DRUG PROBLEM within the playing group and the AFL are doing their best to cover it up!........p.s.......how stupid did the players look and sound saying no to questions from Ch7?? Grow up boys and get on with what you are paid to do, and that is play football, FREE AND CLEAN of drugs!!

Has an interesting outlook on things, Mr Bagaric. Another article:

The Age:- A case for torture

Interesting fellow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 - have your say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back