Strategy Chris Scott's coaching performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is too many are still lovingly looking back rather than looking forward now. It isn't 2011 anymore. We're a good side but not a great one. And there are a few players that have big question marks on them. Question is whether Scott will make tough calls on them.

I dont know if your being a bit critical of Geelongs effort against Freo - ive watched the replay - and Scott said the Dockers got some cheap goals - and i agree with that - for example Barlows goal from the ruck knockout - im not too sure - those type of scungy goals are going to eventuate on a bigger MCG Ground

I thought Geelong were ok - but just couldnt kick goals when it mattered .

You contrast that to say the 1992 second semi final against West Coast- where Ablett was totally disinterested - Bairstow and Riccardi went missing - the whole team were very lacklustre - those type of efforts i would be very critical of

But - i thought against Freo -Geelong played ok - high intensity game - but just didnt win the match

Who knows Freo might win the flag - which would frank the form a bit from the Freo Geelong game

And the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the cattery came Chris Scott and off to the Gabba he goes...

In any case he is coaching for his job this week!

I bet your enjoying this week..

Can we please get rid of this idiot and/or blatant troll

True, but he had played 6 games in a row before Saturday, and had kicked 24 goals. So he's in good goalkicking form.

Are you sure it was six? Anyway the timing was unfortunate as he'd only made it back just before the end of the H&A so he had not been seen as match fit to gain a birth in the seniors. Debuting someone in a final is a big call.

All in the eye of the beholder. I don't mind the Freo/Lyon style. They are able to amass big scores, can and do play exciting footy, but they have ways to implement successful stifling options against Geelong's predictable all-out corridor footy.
Frustrating for us, but we must devise ways to beat them, and apart from the mid season aberration of a win, when they were missing 4 of their absolute best, at least 4, and we had DS, we are just not good enough to handle their smarts and skill. And it is unlikely to change short-term with our personnel, and you know it like we all do.

Agree that Lyon's Saints , not wanting to score in the lastQ of the 09 GF will not win flags, but it wasn't his coaching that so nearly upset the mighty Pies a year later, was it?

They amass 'big' scores against minnows - even then the score is about 150-40. (eg recent wins v GWS and Melbourne). Versus a top team the scores will rarely be high.

Yeah they got us last week but I'd be confident that we could overturn that result if we could get another crack at them - I'm not saying we'd definitely win but I'd give us a chance. It's never easy against the sponge squeezing style of Lyon but due to their lack of scoring you are always a chance. We obviously aren't the team we were in '07-'11 but with so many players and the team just down on their best in Saturday's tight result (a big part of which was due to Freo of course) it doesn't mean that down the track we wouldn't be able to beat them.

But then again you've been singing this song about Lyon since 2009.;)

I bet your enjoying this week..

Can we please get rid of this idiot and/or blatant troll
Look, Leigh Matthews is making a play at the Brisbane board, one of his best mates is Chris Scott, who do you think he wants as coach?

I can never understand how anybody with any ounce of analytical thinking cannot see the connection, the reference to Chris Scott and Brisbane was made on SEN, i didn't make it up! I happen to think it is a logical step by anybody who is preparing a push on the Brisbane board to put forward Chris Scott as a possible coach. Now, he might be perfectly happy to stay at Geelong, he might also get the heave ho if they lose this week and go out in straight sets? How is that trolling?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ext-senior-coach/story-fni5f4q3-1226704188349

The battle rages on at Brisbane and Paul Roos has accepted the Melbourne job since this was published, now don't you think Leigh Matthews might just give Chris Scott a call and ask him how things are going down there?

Look, Leigh Matthews is making a play at the Brisbane board, one of his best mates is Chris Scott, who do you think he wants as coach?

I can never understand how anybody with any ounce of analytical thinking cannot see the connection, the reference to Chris Scott and Brisbane was made on SEN, i didn't make it up! I happen to think it is a logical step by anybody who is preparing a push on the Brisbane board to put forward Chris Scott as a possible coach. Now, he might be perfectly happy to stay at Geelong, he might also get the heave ho if they lose this week and go out in straight sets? How is that trolling?

Because everything you post is hyperbole and overwhelmingly negative of Geelong.

Right here you're fretting over gossip on SEN and from that somehow extrapolated that CS is going to be poached by Brisbane - then in the next breath saying he'll be sacked anyway if we lose this week. o_O

You're not fooling anyone. Surely there's more interesting ways to waste your time than posting utter garbage all day

Are you sure it was six? Anyway the timing was unfortunate as he'd only made it back just before the end of the H&A so he had not been seen as match fit to gain a birth in the seniors. Debuting someone in a final is a big call.

Yep, I checked it. Had one poor game - I think against Port at Port a few weeks ago. Otherwise he's been kicking 3s and 4s at least every game. No question at all from a form perspective.

One minor sticking point - Scott has to want to leave. I got offered a job on Monday and again yesterday (two different ones). Both more or less the same conditions as my current job, but I'm happy doing what I'm doing. People always forget that coaches (and players) have to want to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how those criticising our coach's performance feel about this rumour floating around?

@theagesport: SEN talkback rumour of week. Caller Pete says Chris Scott will resign from Geelong after finals and coach Brisbane. #lionking

And the winner of the longest straw in the clutching of straws for 2013 goes to......

Go Catters

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ext-senior-coach/story-fni5f4q3-1226704188349

The battle rages on at Brisbane and Paul Roos has accepted the Melbourne job since this was published, now don't you think Leigh Matthews might just give Chris Scott a call and ask him how things are going down there?

so you are supporting a theory that in his 3rd year as coach, with 1 flag, 1 top 8 finish and finals loss followed by a top 2 finish, a 1st week loss and a berth in the Semi final, Chris Scott will get the arse.

Im usually pretty reserved and try to be balanced. And yes, it is possible that you hypothesis could happen. Just as I am hoping the tram coming towards you has brake failure.

Go Catters

I dont know if your being a bit critical of Geelongs effort against Freo - ive watched the replay - and Scott said the Dockers got some cheap goals - and i agree with that - for example Barlows goal from the ruck knockout - im not too sure - those type of scungy goals are going to eventuate on a bigger MCG Ground

I thought Geelong were ok - but just couldnt kick goals when it mattered.

Barlow's goal did and does make me ask a very simple question - who was on him? Where was his opponent? Didn't it occur to them to stand next to him seeing as it was 30m out from goal?

One minor sticking point - Scott has to want to leave. I got offered a job on Monday and again yesterday (two different ones). Both more or less the same conditions as my current job, but I'm happy doing what I'm doing. People always forget that coaches (and players) have to want to leave.

Leaving aside his contractual obligations aside for a minute - why would he want to leave? It certainly wouldnt be a wise career move - to leave a plumb job at a club with excellent adminstration, support staff and most importantly, talented and committed playing group. Has has the opportunity to coach multiple premierships. The way Brisbane have handled Voss casts serious doubts about their heirarchy. I've no doubt this turned Paul Roos right off.

Because everything you post is hyperbole and overwhelmingly negative of Geelong.

Right here you're fretting over gossip on SEN and from that somehow extrapolated that CS is going to be poached by Brisbane - then in the next breath saying he'll be sacked anyway if we lose this week. o_O

You're not fooling anyone. Surely there's more interesting ways to waste your time than posting utter garbage all day

It's got your gander up and i'm sorry for that, i admire your passion...i'm passionate too! My issue with Geelong is they were over run by out of contention teams Brisbane and Adelaide and not much has been done to rectify the problem since. Fremantle exploited this failure last week at Simonds stadium, now just exactly where will Geelong find the necessary answer to the Dockers if they can win through to the GF and have another crack? The Cats are a 4 goal better team at home and lost comfortably, how can they turn it around? Unless Hawthorn have an almighty brain fade they will beat the curse to a pulp Friday week. If Geelong go out in straight sets you will see the review of reviews down there and don't think for a minute Chris Scott is safe if they get beaten. There are no guarantees in Football these days. Chris Scott might very well tell Leigh Matthews where to stick it....but i am sure the question will be asked.

Barlow's goal did and does make me ask a very simple question - who was on him? Where was his opponent? Didn't it occur to them to stand next to him seeing as it was 30m out from goal?
Yep should have been someone on him and why wasn't someone standing in front of the goals as well.

It's got your gander up and i'm sorry for that, i admire your passion...i'm passionate too! My issue with Geelong is they were over run by out of contention teams Brisbane and Adelaide and not much has been done to rectify the problem since. Fremantle exploited this failure last week at Simonds stadium, now just exactly where will Geelong find the necessary answer to the Dockers if they can win through to the GF and have another crack? The Cats are a 4 goal better team at home and lost comfortably, how can they turn it around? Unless Hawthorn have an almighty brain fade they will beat the curse to a pulp Friday week. If Geelong go out in straight sets you will see the review of reviews down there and don't think for a minute Chris Scott is safe if they get beaten. There are no guarantees in Football these days. Chris Scott might very well tell Leigh Matthews where to stick it....but i am sure the question will be asked.
:rolleyes:

Hey Fred - stop trying to be Charles Dickens -and just be like the rest of us -Geelong supporters
I think Dr Peter Roget or Noah Webster, Jr might have been more applicable.

But that's just me.

Varcoe of 2013 would never have done the stuff he pulled off in 2011 GF. Where has that gone?

varcoe of 2013 was dynamic, hard, and creative... until the shoulder. struggled since coming back.

some of his efforts against hawthorn rd 1 were unbelievable.

They amass 'big' scores against minnows - even then the score is about 150-40. (eg recent wins v GWS and Melbourne). Versus a top team the scores will rarely be high.

Yeah they got us last week but I'd be confident that we could overturn that result if we could get another crack at them - I'm not saying we'd definitely win but I'd give us a chance. It's never easy against the sponge squeezing style of Lyon but due to their lack of scoring you are always a chance. We obviously aren't the team we were in '07-'11 but with so many players and the team just down on their best in Saturday's tight result (a big part of which was due to Freo of course) it doesn't mean that down the track we wouldn't be able to beat them.

But then again you've been singing this song about Lyon since 2009.;)

Didn't you know I'm related to Lyon as well.

As Blake, Varcoe, Hawkins, Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Chris Scott's coaching performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back