Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Star player but you don't sell the farm for 3 good years unless you are right in the window and if you are right in the window you probably dont have those sort of picks anyway

Yeah, spot on as far as I'm concerned. Terrific player, but (given an understandably hefty asking price) completely wrong for us, completely wrong for other teams with huge sliding potential next year and probably a couple of years older than you'd like if you're - say - North Melbourne.

For Geelong, I think 2025 is the drop and I'm embracing that. It's the year to give opportunities to our draftees who've been starving in the VFL over the last few years, not mortgage the future for Petracca, when we're likely to already be coughing up our first pick (and probably more) for Bailey Smith.

I'm sure other Geelong people would disagree, but I feel very strongly at this stage that that's the best path for us to take this offseason.

An explosive contested bull like Petracca is exactly the type that you wouldn't expect to have a high quality extended career. No idea what some of you guys are on about
I don’t know. I think injury would be his biggest issue. Danger is still a game changer at Geelong when he plays.

Petracca doesn’t seem to have had the same history of injury. But that could change as he gets on. Otherwise no reason he can’t play to a high level for another 5 years.

with May and Gawn 33 next year, petracca and lever 29, oliver and Schache 28…do you just concede the run is over and blow it up and try to hard rebuild. Oliver and petracca should net 3 early firsts.

with May and Gawn 33 next year, petracca and lever 29, oliver and Schache 28…do you just concede the run is over and blow it up and try to hard rebuild. Oliver and petracca should net 3 early firsts.

I'm no expert, but Oliver seems like a bag of chips and 'we'll still pay part of his contract' for Melbourne just to get some of his salary off the books, as it stands.

I'm no expert, but Oliver seems like a bag of chips and 'we'll still pay part of his contract' for Melbourne just to get some of his salary off the books, as it stands.

I doubt they have cap trouble + if they’re willing to get rid of him for nothing plus pay a portion of his salary that’d be alarm bells re how bad things are.

I could see it as being a club giving up a good pick and Melbourne pay part of his salary. He’s a proven quality player and the club getting him will have to take some risk. Whether it’s giving up a pick or taking on the entirety of his salary.

I doubt they have cap trouble + if they’re willing to get rid of him for nothing plus pay a portion of his salary that’d be alarm bells re how bad things are.

I could see it as being a club giving up a good pick and Melbourne pay part of his salary. He’s a proven quality player and the club getting him will have to take some risk. Whether it’s giving up a pick or taking on the entirety of his salary.

Yeah, a relative 'bag of chips' so to speak, for a player of his age and with his CV. For a pick in the early 20s and some agreement on salary, a lot of clubs would consider it.

2.5 years younger than Petracca, so if you could get him motivated, he should easily play 100 more AFL games from here. That's an all-time 'IF' though.

One of these is not like the others.

Last edited:
Plenty have a first this year and next.
WC will have pick 3 and 11 after Barass leaves
Carlton first + F1 and F2

Teams are good these days an moneuvering picks around.
He's not going to west coast as they are years away from contending, Carlton don't have the cap space or picks really, what's their first this year about 9 -12 than next year a pick in the teens. That's not happening

He’s 29 next season who is TBA coming off a massive injury.

I’ve seen some Melbourne fans tonight compare it to the Judd trade in terms of value.

Judd moved when he was 24.

I wouldn’t be comfortable trading more than a single top 10 pick tbh.

It’s unlikely you get 100 games out of this trade, so the value should reflect that imo.
What was jezza 27 or 28, he was 3 firsts ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, spot on as far as I'm concerned. Terrific player, but (given an understandably hefty asking price) completely wrong for us, completely wrong for other teams with huge sliding potential next year and probably a couple of years older than you'd like if you're - say - North Melbourne.

For Geelong, I think 2025 is the drop and I'm embracing that. It's the year to give opportunities to our draftees who've been starving in the VFL over the last few years, not mortgage the future for Petracca, when we're likely to already be coughing up our first pick (and probably more) for Bailey Smith.

I'm sure other Geelong people would disagree, but I feel very strongly at this stage that that's the best path for us to take this offseason.

Nah i'm with you as well.

Smith for our 2024 First and 2025 2nd Rounder then proceed with continuing to Draft young blokes.
By the time Tassie comes in the majority of our list will be in the 24-29 year old range as right now majority are in 18-23 age group and 30+

Keep going ahead with drafting young talent.
There's no reason for us to mortgage our future with bulk retirements incoming and Tassie coming into the comp.

Didn't know Schache was still on a list, no loss, must be delist material

Surely this Petracca story is just another click grabber dreamed up by Tom over breakfast

I'd bet Melbourne would rather trade out 25 other players at once before they consider trading Trac.

North Melbourne truly in the box seat here.

• Early picks available for trade
  • Quality/promising young players likely available for trade (Powell, Phillips, Scott, etc)
  • Cap space
  • Young stable core under contract that Petracca can step into without having to carry an unduly share of the load
  • Proven Head Coach
  • Join a team that's near the bottom of the ladder so doesn't attract the 'bandwagoner' tag
  • Everyone looks good in the Royal Blue and White

Make it happen Euge.

Gotta try to pinch one more flag while Schache is in his prime....

Also out of contract and wanting to leave as a free agent. But still an absolute steal at those three picks.

Jezza was also not coming off a catastrophic collision injury where he's not even allowed a resting raised heart rate months after it occurred.

I don't think anyone knows how he's going to recover yet. It's not out of the question he doesn't play for parts of next season.

North Melbourne truly in the box seat here.

• Early picks available for trade
  • Quality/promising young players likely available for trade (Powell, Phillips, Scott, etc)
  • Cap space
  • Young stable core under contract that Petracca can step into without having to carry an unduly share of the load
  • Proven Head Coach
  • Join a team that's near the bottom of the ladder so doesn't attract the 'bandwagoner' tag
  • Everyone looks good in the Royal Blue and White

Make it happen Euge.

2 + Powell or Phillips is way overs for mine.

Going to get 5 years from Petracca, wouldnt North be better off investing in both these young guys and continuing to build what is there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back