Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Christian is coming out of this all that well.

From afar, he looks somewhat petulant and me focussed
It's Chris Judd again. Surrounded by teammates in trouble, wheels falling off, senses an opportunity.

Petracca's score output (goals + assists) is on par with McKays (goals + assists). Or in other words, they both contribute the same result on the scoreboard.

Key Forwards are overrated IMO. There is a reason Norm Smiths are generally won by line breaking goal kicking mids (including Trac, and Dusty x 3, Judd etc) and not by KPF's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Smith_Medal

Have a look over the list and see what most of them have in common.
So you have no concerns about how he will come back after injury with an already injury-prone list? And is that a risk Carlton can afford to take as contenders?

If I were a Carlton supporter, I'd urge the club not to chase him if it means giving up McKay.

Dan Houston is a safer option to a premiership for Carlton IMO.

So you have no concerns about how he will come back after injury with an already injury-prone list? And is that a risk Carlton can afford to take as contenders?

If I were a Carlton supporter, I'd urge the club not to chase him if it means giving up McKay.

Dan Houston is a safer option to a premiership for Carlton IMO.
BSI’s aren’t exactly a recurrent injury

Averaged 21 games a season, pretty durable

I think it's safe to say he won't play for Melbourne next year.

He might still be on the list but after the hospital stuff and now the Brand Petracca leaks absolutely no way the family will want him putting on the jumper again...

We at wce would like to make it happen without selling our draft hand and our youth.

Melb what do we you want? We can give you salary cap relief, a whole list of our 25 plus year old players.

How about:

How about

Oscar Allen/Jake Waterman + Salary cap relief for Clayton

For

Trac
Straight swap Pectracca- Petruccelle
Win/Win

BSI’s aren’t exactly a recurrent injury

Averaged 21 games a season, pretty durable
What is a BSI?

Dusty was pretty durable before his major kidney injury in 2021 and didn't return the same. Was injury prone after that and likely led to his retirement. Petracca had a worse injury many refer to as car accident-like.

Like I mentioned before, there's also the mental aspect especially for someone that has a successful social media career. I'm not saying Petracca will end up like Dusty, but the risk is there.

what do the demons/blues supporters think of the trac for mckay swap?

makes sense no?
Yes but the human behind the player in H makes me hesitant to send him to Melbourne, probably why we don’t see player for player trades often

Would H suit Essendon and would Essendon give up appropriate draft capital to on trade to Melbourne to bolster their hand in a very strong draft?

Or do Melbourne view their list differently and think they can give a flag a crack with a 33 year old Gawn and Viney, Oliver, Rivers midfield? Hence, they’d only want established KPP talent?

What is a BSI?

Dusty was pretty durable before his major kidney injury in 2021 and didn't return the same. Was injury prone after that and likely led to his retirement. Petracca had a worse injury many refer to as car accident-like.

Like I mentioned before, there's also the mental aspect especially for someone that has a successful social media career. I'm not saying Petracca will end up like Dusty, but the risk is there.
Blunt splenic injury

Dusty is not the professional Trac is either, very different players

But I am more concerned about the mental anguish too, your concerns are valid for sure

Yes but the human behind the player in H makes me hesitant to send him to Melbourne, probably why we don’t see player for player trades often

Would H suit Essendon and would Essendon give up appropriate draft capital to on trade to Melbourne to bolster their hand in a very strong draft?

Or do Melbourne view their list differently and think they can give a flag a crack with a 33 year old Gawn and Viney, Oliver, Rivers midfield? Hence, they’d only want established KPP talent?

We need a key forward as much as anyone but i dont think we have the draft capital required to get McKay out of Carlton. Salary wouldn't be an issue.

Would have to involve players.

Sad that it’s come to this but despite the contract, the player holds all the cards

Melbourne holds Petracca to his contract = Petracca sits out / tanks his performance (costing the club big $$ to regress in value)

Melbourne trade Petracca = forced to send him to his club of choice, diminishing their leverage and / or potential return

System needs a revamp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a key forward as much as anyone but i dont think we have the draft capital required to get McKay out of Carlton. Salary wouldn't be an issue.

Would have to involve players.
McKay has ruled out Melbourne entirely as of this morning via his manager

Without McKay I don’t see how this gets done

Not sure Cerra +capital is appealing to Melbourne, nor am I confident he would want to go either

The other is TDK, but jeez that’s a hard pill to swallow as a Carlton fan - you’d do it but it would be difficult as he could be anything

If Petracca wants to come to us, then it has to be on our terms, not their's. Melbourne themselves created this problem (i.e. a disgruntled player) so they have to not only wear the blame, be prepared to lose out on the deal.

Making him stay at the club because he is contracted is fair enough but not if it is a total deterrent to the bigger picture.

For us, we need to hear directly from him ...... "yes, I want to play at Carlton next year". After that is established, then we need to create a list of players we are prepared to part with as part of the deal, I keep hearing Cerra's name in that lot.

Our people need to come up with a creative package of sorts but one that does not "sell the farm" at the same time (McKay, Curnow & TDK are not on the market - end of story).

If the Dees are not prepared to take the deal from us that we put up, then bad luck, he stays put.

Petracca is a terrific player but his trade price & contract size are huge hurdles that could damage the basic structure & camerardierie that we have worked hard to build. Having said that, everyone is tradeable if the price is right.

I think it would be De Koning who goes just because once Petracca came in, they can no longer afford what De Koning gets offered from other clubs. Think itd be a case of De Koning leaving 2+ mill on the table if he stayed at Carlton which at this stage of his life he simply isnt going to do

Melbourne should be taking the radical approach imo and initiate the rebuild as this is the draft to get that underway and then next year before the tassie side enters. If they go on next year and miss finals again as they try to hold the line, any rebuild will be massively compromised and it coukd set the club back years.

If it was my club and i could get a top 10 pick and another 1st in this draft for my star player who is injured and will be 29, in this draft i would want them to do the deal.

If Petracca wants to come to us, then it has to be on our terms, not their's. Melbourne themselves created this problem (i.e. a disgruntled player) so they have to not only wear the blame, be prepared to lose out on the deal.

Making him stay at the club because he is contracted is fair enough but not if it is a total deterrent to the bigger picture.

For us, we need to hear directly from him ...... "yes, I want to play at Carlton next year". After that is established, then we need to create a list of players we are prepared to part with as part of the deal, I keep hearing Cerra's name in that lot.

Our people need to come up with a creative package of sorts but one that does not "sell the farm" at the same time (McKay, Curnow & TDK are not on the market - end of story).

If the Dees are not prepared to take the deal from us that we put up, then bad luck, he stays put.

Petracca is a terrific player but his trade price & contract size are huge hurdles that could damage the basic structure & camerardierie that we have worked hard to build. Having said that, everyone is tradeable if the price is right.

How do you think Carlton will afford him in the cap if you don’t move on any players?

Essendon should go for him

I was thinking this to, Richmond were eyeing off some of Essendon youngsters.

Surely they can pry a first from Richmond and then they have 3 mid-late first rounders to play with.

Brad Scott likely under pressure to start delivering results also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back