Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think his legal team have a leg to stand on after Trac posted publicly it was his decision to go back onto the ground. Doubt he also wants to wait months/years for any court proceedings to occur, so yes, Dees hold the whip hand.
He doesn't need the proceedings to occur to take away the club's whip hand.

You're reasonable, what would you expect a trade to be?
My honest unbiased beliefs

History is littered with players in his age bracket moving for large and it not resulting in success for his new club. Beams, Gibbs, Deledio, Griffen (would have been a huge cost) to name a few.

if the Demons baulk and say it’s not enough then fair enough - that’s their right with a contracted player, but his worth at his age following a concerning injury would be a mid first-round pick and a late first round pick, and maybe a fringe player who could do with a fresh start somewhere else. If a first round pick like 5 or so was involved (wouldn’t be from Collingwood’s or Carlton’s angle), then that would be almost his full worth.

I think it would be De Koning who goes just because once Petracca came in, they can no longer afford what De Koning gets offered from other clubs. Think itd be a case of De Koning leaving 2+ mill on the table if he stayed at Carlton which at this stage of his life he simply isnt going to do
Says who?

Martin and a few others will be gone this year and there will be money available.

Haha yes. Where our incompetence saves us from ourselves.

Hopefully Petracca saves us by electing to go to Hawthorn, though Hawthorn chasing Barrass means they're probably ruled out too.

This is true. I don't see how we would be able to satisfy both WC for Barrass and Melbourne for Trac unless we move out players who we don't want to lose (and who likely don't want to leave).

The actual player salary isn't a problem.

They say no player is bigger than the club

To me this is a rare exception. You’d clear out several coaches and overheads if it meant keeping Petracca happy at the club. It’s not enough to hold him to his deal and keep things the same. While Petracca, May, Oliver etc are in their prime, you have to make the most of the time they have left and have them happy and wanting.
May isn’t in his prime.

Cerra holds little trade value. You can’t put a heap of average players up in the hope the Dee’s take them for a superstar.

It would be like Curnow asking for a trade and the Dee’s offering Langdon as part of the deal.

I'm not advocating putting up a pile of poop and trying to make out like bandits. However, it is iaughable to think we would part with a key player like McKay to get a totally disgruntled & disenfranchised player in return.

My honest unbiased beliefs

History is littered with players in his age bracket moving for large and it not resulting in success for his new club. Beams, Gibbs, Deledio, Griffen (would have been a huge cost) to name a few.

if the Demons baulk and say it’s not enough then fair enough - that’s their right with a contracted player, but his worth at his age following a concerning injury would be a mid first-round pick and a late first round pick, and maybe a fringe player who could do with a fresh start somewhere else. If a first round pick like 5 or so was involved (wouldn’t be from Collingwood’s or Carlton’s angle), then that would be almost his full worth.
No chance Melbourne accepts that. None. He is worth three top 10 picks right now. Melbourne should be pushing for that. End of story.

Didn’t Geelong just make top four a year after finishing 12th with the oldest list in the comp?

You’ll be in for a rude shock when Trac announces Collingwood is his preferred destination
It's obvious he wants to play for Collingwood more than anyone else, but he's also not going to request a trade to Collingwood unless he's sure the deal will be done. As it stands, Collingwood don't have the trade capital to satisfy Melbourne so I doubt he goes there this off-season.

As it stands, it seems like the next two options in Carlton and Hawthorn are pre-occupied with other players (Houston and Barrass).

Richmond are rebuilding so they're not an option, which leaves Essendon or staying at Melbourne. I think he'll end up staying at Melbourne because whilst Essendon have the trade capital to satisfy Melbourne the most, they are not in a position to meet Melbourne's demands.

My guess will be he stays at Melbourne for a year then requests a trade to Collingwood next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance Melbourne accepts that. None. He is worth three top 10 picks right now. Melbourne should be pushing for that. End of story.
No club would rightfully touch that. If that’s what Melbourne wants then he’ll be back at the Dees next year

Garry Lyon being a bit of a flog.

Others have been through alot more.

He just needs to get on with it.

Um Garry

Not sure how many players have been injured playing and later in ICU and their family told by the surgeon their boy might not make it through the night.

I'd suggest not many at all.

Garry being a tough talker and getting all emotional isn't helping Melbourne nor Petracca.

No club would rightfully touch that. If that’s what Melbourne wants then he’ll be back at the Dees next year
Melbourne can’t afford to take unders on this. He was a norm smith medallist 3 years ago and could be the difference in a GF for the next two years. We also have to maximise our hand before Tasmania raids the pantry. We have no choice but to play it hard and make changes internally if he stays.

Last edited:

Um Garry

Not sure how many players have been injured playing and later in ICU and their family told by the surgeon their boy might not make it through the night.

Garry being a tough talker and getting all emotional isn't helping Melbourne nor Petracca.
Garry Lyon is a flog. Full stop.

Um Garry

Were his parents legitimately told that? That he could die?

Lets wait a few more days on that one I think but will know shortly thats for sure
One thing I do know is controversial trades get coaches sacked anyway

Buckley trades out Treloar and Grundy and retains cap on them? Gone July the next year. Dew trades out Bowes with a single digit pick? Gone by June the next year.

If Goodwin let's Tracc go then he's sacked anyway

Um Garry

We nearly lost Tom Lonergan on the operating table but we had the good sense to get him to hospital immediately

Imo Dees window is closed (unless they replace Goodwin), they should be looking to offload Petracca now whilst he holds maximum trade value and carries the significant downside risk from his injury. Focus on getting first rounders and look to the long term. Plus if he is having issues with other players I don't see how the team can be focussed on a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back