Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently his missus was called at 3am by the surgeon that he might not make it

That interview doesn't convince me that he'll ever get back to his best. Very much sounds like he is struggling with the mental trauma of the injury, which is fair enough.

If I was a club I'd be very wary of coughing up too much for a player who isn't in a good head space that's returning from a near death injury. I think it's fair to say he won't get close to his best again.

It actually might be a blessing for Melbourne to trade Petracca. Why they have him they think they can win a flag (which everyone knows they can’t). This might blow up Melbourne, get them realistic and roll some heads, which sounds like they need with their culture problems.

No one will want to go to Melbourne without Petracca there, as they aren’t making finals. So getting in some huge draft capital, or recent first rounders who aren’t too well known might help with what they actually need.

Melbourne should just offload him. If what I read this morning about players being uncomfortable at some Melbourne event, is true.. then why keep someone that is creating this vibe? It will not just go away. Yeah he's contracted, but forcing him to stay, they are going to get someone who is nearing 30, potentially now lacking in some movement due to his serious injury and not 100% emotionally or mentally invested in the team. So they may end up holding onto a guy that is playing at 70% what he was this year and never breach that.

I can see a Dustin Martin situation playing out. Clearly this last few years Dusty's body was done and he had already mentally and emotionally checked out of playing AFL and Petracca is very Dusty-like in his toughness and in a worse situation because at least Dusty still had love for Richmond. If that's what Melbourne want then good luck to them.

I'm not saying Melbourne should give him away for nothing, but they should get whatever they can for him, as long as the offer is on par with his worth and not go too hardball or they could end up in a terrible situation stuck with an aging, injury prone guy that hates the place.

I'm not advocating putting up a pile of poop and trying to make out like bandits. However, it is iaughable to think we would part with a key player like McKay to get a totally disgruntled & disenfranchised player in return.
Then the Blue posters need to stop mentioning Cerra.

You would also need to add more even if McKay was put up. Unhappy doesn't make him go for cheap - while contracted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne should just offload him. If what I read this morning about players being uncomfortable at some Melbourne event, is true.. then why keep someone that is creating this vibe? It will not just go away. Yeah he's contracted, but forcing him to stay, they are going to get someone who is nearing 30, potentially now lacking in some movement due to his serious injury and not 100% emotionally or mentally invested in the team. So they may end up holding onto a guy that is playing at 70% what he was this year and never breach that.

I can see a Dustin Martin situation playing out. Clearly this last few years Dusty's body was done and he had already mentally and emotionally checked out of playing AFL and Petracca is very Dusty-like in his toughness and in a worse situation because at least Dusty still had love for Richmond. If that's what Melbourne want then good luck to them.

I'm not saying Melbourne should give him away for nothing, but they should get whatever they can for him, as long as the offer is on par with his worth and not go too hardball or they could end up in a terrible situation stuck with an aging, injury prone guy that hates the place.

Happy to sit back and wait for the offers to come in.

If he stays we keep our best player so win-win

Melbourne have all the cards here , if Trac goes someone will have to pay overs for him. Trac and his management agreed to the big money , long term contract. If they want out they can spin up some huge deal that Melbourne can't refuse. If not then he has a break and gets ready for pre season and goes again. If Melbourne crack and let him go for unders they will drop like a stone.
If he wants to go to another big Victorian club he's still committed to football at the highest level and exposing himself to further injury is part of that.

Some of this is fair enough, but 'injury prone' is nonsense. Had played 145 consecutive games (16th longest streak of all-time) prior to the freak injury this year.

Melbourne are going to have to accept that there has to be a fair amount of concern over what how he can come back from this. Nobody is going to throw them a Coleman Medalist on the hope that Petracca can get back to his best.

No they don’t. They just keep there best player if there’s no offer good enough.

If other clubs are concerned then don’t make an offer. Simple.

Melbourne are going to have to accept that there has to be a fair amount of concern over what how he can come back from this. Nobody is going to throw them a Coleman Medalist on the hope that Petracca can get back to his best.
Who cares.

We shouldn’t lose him for anything bar what we demand. Otherwise he can stay contracted or go to the PSD. The club needs to put the future first now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back