Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are out of the race anyway so thanks for sharing and goodbye
Don't really think it's a race. 5 years at about 1.3 million a year ending when he is close to turning 35. At best it's a Buddy situation where you can't afford to keep many of your good up and comers. At worst it turns into a Grundy situation where you have to give him away and pay a nice part of his contract. The whole thing is a bit of a poison challis in my eyes. I wouldnt want to take on that contract. How's that for sharing ?

Last edited:
Coming off a life threatening injury after missing most of the season and maybe some of next year's. I'm wondering if he will get anywhere near his best again? There's no joke in that.
So you're basing your opinion on a guess? OK. Absolutely no reason he won't be back to his best. Might even go to another level in a better coached side. Dees won't care about a guess on his future form, only his body of work so far which is top 10 in the comp.

You can cope with all this Collingwood can’t get a deal done… Carlton have to pay more than a happily contracted key forward all you want.

At the end of the day the only club with a serious issue is Melbourne. Your no 1 player wants out for reasons no one fully knows yet. It could be best case scenario that petracca is just being selfish and gets told to pull his head in and all is well. It could also be that he has genuine reasons of mismanagement, knows things that are seriously damaging to your club and willing to use them.

It’s not as if clubs have approached him he is shopping himself around.
The only party with an issue is Petracca. Dees are sitting pretty either way. Gets a nice haul if he leaves, gets a top 10 player if he stays. I don't see how Dees lose here. The club won't implode if Christian Petracca leaves lol

No, but we could conjure up 3 x 1st round draft picks.
Not sure how without trading quality players? Dees will be looking at top end picks before a conversation is even considered. He can pull the negligence card all he likes to build his narrative, but the Dees will still have a minimum expectation of what it will take to trade him. And good luck finding the salary cap space in a matter of weeks to fit him in.

At the moment the only hand you hold is a seriously pissed player with a contract that takes up the most cap space at your club.
Lol. Nah, Dees hold all the cards because he's contracted for 5 more years and is a required player. He can be pissed all he wants and build this narrative to get out from a minnow club to a bigger club. What it will take to get him will be significant and I dare say teams like Essendon and Richmond are now plotting to find ways of getting him. They have much better potential for a trade than Coll/Carl. If he just wants out of the club then I can see a Gold Coast getting in his ear and they definitely have the capital and need for a player like Trac to take them to finals.

Hilarious coming from an Essendon fan....
I mean, players were leaving left and right during Essendons saga. Essendon had to cop the return offered. Now Melbourne has their own drug saga as well as medical misconduct to petracca and their best two players have been bandied in trades the last two years.

It is a serious question though? Petracca nearly lost his life to Melbourne incompetence, and now it seems they want to play hard ball on his trade request.

Petracca wants to play at a club that is well run with a good positive culture, and fair enough – seems like a stand up guy to me

None of the other clubs that fit that description are in a position to be able to pay a price that Melbourne would accept

This means Melbourne faces the very real prospect of holding a star player who doesn’t want be there which is bad for the club and the player

But, there is one way this could be turned into a win / win situation:

- Sack Goodwin, whoever is the head of the football department, any assistant coaches who have been at the club more than a couple of years or are seen as friends to the current administration

- Appoint a new coaching team etc. and give them the OK to move on any players seen to be a negative influence in the club culture

Bottom line – Melbourne needs to fix their culture rather than putting a bandaid on it and hoping it improves by itself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, players were leaving left and right during Essendons saga. Essendon had to cop the return offered. Now Melbourne has their own drug saga as well as medical misconduct to petracca and their best two players have been bandied in trades the last two years.

It is a serious question though? Petracca nearly lost his life to Melbourne incompetence, and now it seems they want to play hard ball on his trade request.
Nearly lost his life. Keep running with the narrative Petracca Camp are throwing out there. Won't make a difference to what the Dees will want and get in a trade for him.

Petracca wants to play at a club that is well run with a good positive culture, and fair enough – seems like a stand up guy to me

None of the other clubs that fit that description are in a position to be able to pay a price that Melbourne would accept

This means Melbourne faces the very real prospect of holding a star player who doesn’t want be there which is bad for the club and the player

But, there is one way this could be turned into a win / win situation:

- Sack Goodwin, whoever is the head of the football department, any assistant coaches who have been at the club more than a couple of years or are seen as friends to the current administration

- Appoint a new coaching team etc. and give them the OK to move on any players seen to be a negative influence in the club culture

Bottom line – Melbourne needs to fix their culture rather than putting a bandaid on it and hoping it improves by itself
This should be a real option. And I agree with most of what you say. Probably a lot of Dees supporters do tbh. But the Roffey, Pert Goodwin regime is unbreakable unfortunately. Their arrogance and delusion has mostly caused this drama. Would love nothing more than for these 3 to exit, but it just won't happen unfortunately. Oliver should be traded also and Hunter delisted. Shocked he wasn't announced yesterday

Melbourne hold all the cards here. Would only get traded if the return was significant and any club Trac would want to go to don't have that significant collateral.

Media will be loving this, can keep filling airwaves and papers until end of trade period, every day they'll have a different angle to peddle, it's a godsend for them.

As for culture at Melbourne, it's the best that Pert has ever seen! Drug dealing, Oliver shenanigans, Trac drama, right now some draftee in the top half dozen, and his parents are hoping that Melbourne don't call his name.

When Trac realises Melbourne won't buckle and that no club can do a trade he'll reintegrate at the Dees, play on

Last edited:
Yep if numbers are correct that his contract peaks at 1.7M that’s absolute poison and tanks his value considerably. Even if we had the trade collateral I wouldn’t want that contract anywhere near the Pies. Melbourne find themselves in a very difficult position.
The fact that if he was with Collingwood, his "Trac brand" would skyrocket and make him millions more in revenue, could he renegotiate his contract once across.

Grundy was a cap dump.. Melbourne doesn't have cap issues..

Come on now, this has already been exhaustingly discussed. We all know now it was more than that. He's only just set foot in the place, and then suddenly it's a cap issue? Please.

Grundy was a cap dump.. Melbourne doesn't have cap issues..
Grundy wasn't a cap dump, it was just horrible recruiting.

In regards to cap space, if Trac goes they will have a stack of space. Most of Brayshaws salary goes this season, Joel Smith, Ben Brown and Trac. That's well over 2 mil. Whoever they trade in this offseason gonna get well paid

I think people should give some credit to Petracca here.

Trying to figure out which bright bulb got fired for getting him nearly killed by sending him out again.

If Petracca is to play for Demons again then there has to be some level of accountability taken by the club. I don’t know what form that takes. However, just potting him for wanting out after what is clear from outside is a cluster F.

They need to call in Paul Roos from Hawaii right now.

He didn’t go through grievance tribunal.

Sure did. Mediation is the first mandatory step. Surprise surprise Essendon woke up and fell on their sword.

Probably due to their utter lack of duty of care and lack of acknowledging responsibility. Sounds eerily similar to this scenario, hmmmm.

The only party with an issue is Petracca. Dees are sitting pretty either way.
1000019934.jpg

Melbourne's medical, legal and financial heads will be shitting their daks right now. Guarantee it. Lots of exposure for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back