Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy wasn't a cap dump, it was just horrible recruiting.

In regards to cap space, if Trac goes they will have a stack of space. Most of Brayshaws salary goes this season, Joel Smith, Ben Brown and Trac. That's well over 2 mil. Whoever they trade in this offseason gonna get well paid
If Trac goes sure. I wouldn't want his ridiculous contract though.

Nearly lost his life. Keep running with the narrative Petracca Camp are throwing out there. Won't make a difference to what the Dees will want and get in a trade for him.
So you’re suggesting that petracca and his camp are lying about him nearly dying?
Petracca wants to leave your club this much?
But everything will be fine if he doesn’t get traded?
Why would Melbourne want to keep a player that wants to leave this much?

Any lawyers on here think that petraccas contract could actually be legally void, after his medical mistreatment?
Personally I think it's fairly unlikely that Petracca tries to void a contract worth $5-7m

Heard a comment yesterday in the media that there are claims that Trac is high maintenance. Please, if it's true he was awake during surgery anesthesia awareness is traumatic.

Heard a comment yesterday in the media that there are claims that Trac is high maintenance. Please, if it's true he was awake during surgery anesthesia awareness is traumatic.
The feeding frenzy from the media over a guy who is clearly dealing with mental health issues post that surgery is a disgrace.

He would have to be super pissed to even try. That's very very set up for life money.
Yeah, I think what's absolutely true is that he wants out and will seek a trade if a club can meet his needs but I don't think he will walk away from that money or take a significant cut just to get out. Both parties will probably have to concede some ground on their desires from a potential trade to get something done but I think at this point it probably does happen.

I was hoping it could be reconciled. Ideally I'd love to see a big turnover through the admin and footy dept but if the rift has extended to Petracca and the playing group then there's not much to be done for it. I think Melbourne should probably cut their losses at this point and realise the dream is over with this group. Get a new footy department in with an objective of refreshing the list with talent through the draft and a coach who understands the modern game. Piss off Pert and Roffey too and find some normal administrators who actually want what's best for the club.

All of that will take a couple of years but if the mandate is to do a mini rebuild and contend again in a few years that's fine.

He (and his partner) is very smart and is well aware that with the right exposure gained by swapping to a big club, his off field earnings will dwarf those numbers well into retirement.
I don't get this argument at all. Petracca won't become a bigger name then he already is playing for a big club. There is no one who follows footy who isn't fully aware of his star power.

I don't get this argument at all. Petracca won't become a bigger name then he already is playing for a big club. There is no one who follows footy who isn't fully aware of his star power.

Would become a God at Collingwood especially if he could get back to his best.

The exposure is so much bigger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melb media are vicious.

Trac has trauma and melb nearly killed him is the headline. As well as caused wife to suffer from trauma/ptsd

None of this flags/crowds/brand nonsense should be a headline. Vicious melb camp. You literally nearly killed an afl footballer.

WCE are the perfect club for trac.

1. We have world class facilities
2. We have the most money so we can hire an elite medical team
3. Takes him away from melb circus/fishbowl and aids him with trauma recovery. If he gets traded to rival melb club then circus continues
4. Big crowds (big selling point)
5. Beaches for his tiktok
6. I think him wanting flags is nonsense melb camp hit piece

Trac will use the nuclear option and come to wce for unders
It'll cost you Harley Reid. Where do we sign

Would become a God at Collingwood especially if he could get back to his best.

The exposure is so much bigger.
Dunno, would be in Daicos' shadow at Collingwood. Reckon the exposure is a sum of being good at footy playing in the Victorian fishbowl and being able to talk in front of a camera. Max Gawn has managed to become a pretty big brand despite playing for lowly Melbourne. Carey was the biggest name in footy in his day playing for North.

Think it would be a massive risk to think he can take a big pay cut and make up for it in brand deals when he's guaranteed that cash right now.

He didn't have to go back on and surely could've taken himself from the ground.
Nah let's play the blame game. Behind every good man is a woman.

I just can't understand what Melbourne did so wrong. What warrants this kind of response? They let him go back after injury which was a mistake but he's the one that made the decision to go back. Sorry but you take some of the blame for that and I believe he took some accountability at the time.

Melbourne granted him leave and the players were reportedly unhappy. Apparently Melbourne didn't communicate that to the playing group but once its clarified, what's there to be so upset at the club at that would make you turn your back on a 7-year deal? Why is Melbourne getting the heat for Petracca's decision?
If the reason was the playing group, then that's understandable, but then to limit it to Carlton and Collingwood and not a contender like Bulldogs who have the means to do a deal is strange.

If he wants to leave because of Goodwin, the playing group or because of Melbourne's form, then say that. But I don't understand why he committed to a smaller Vic club on a lengthy deal and why it's an issue now.

It's just not adding up.

Bloke has expressed annoyance that crowds didn't turn up to Melbourne games even when they became good, pretty sure I've heard him say this about 10 + times over the journey in various forms of media.

Then Melbourne clearly showing signs the decline is near.

Then the medical negligence stuff.

Sounds like he's mentally done, as long as Melbourne end up getting a king's ransom for him then I see this as mutually beneficial for both in the long-term if he's traded.

I just can't understand what Melbourne did so wrong. What warrants this kind of response? They let him go back after injury which was a mistake but he's the one that made the decision to go back. Sorry but you take some of the blame for that and I believe he took some accountability at the time.
The doctors job is to tell him that he cant go back out
Melbourne granted him leave and the players were reportedly unhappy. Apparently Melbourne didn't communicate that to the playing group but once its clarified, what's there to be so upset at the club at that would make you turn your back on a 7-year deal? Why is Melbourne getting the heat for Petracca's decision?
If the reason was the playing group, then that's understandable, but then to limit it to Carlton and Collingwood and not a contender like Bulldogs who have the means to do a deal is strange.

If he wants to leave because of Goodwin, the playing group or because of Melbourne's form, then say that. But I don't understand why he committed to a smaller Vic club on a lengthy deal and why it's an issue now.

It's just not adding up.
Issues with the way the club has handled certain players and their issues, along with his own injury I guess. If the club has no intention of changing anything then why would he want to stay in a shitty environment?
I wouldnt want to be there either

It's just not adding up.
It's several reasons. It's all guessing right now tbh. No one really knows. The negligence angle is something Pies supporters and Blues supporters are running with as they want to low ball an offer. He probably sees another rebuild and a period of mediocrity again and doesn't want to go through it under Goodwin. Wants to play for a bigger club and sees a way out pushing the mental health angle. Dees will look at all options. I'm sure they want to keep him, but it feels too far gone now. So they'll look at the best offers and put it to Trac's management. Dees are in the boxseat here regardless if he stays or goes.

Not to defend my club in this. I said at the time he absolutely should not have gone back on and we've clearly got history here and responded terribly in the aftermath, but I think the injury mismanagement issue is a league wide problem. It was only 12 months ago Mason Cox got a hit that ruptured his spleen, played and trained through it and it got discovered days later. Not dissimilar to the way clubs have handled concussion, Bulldogs with Liberatore, Port with Allir etc.

Think more heat needs to come onto the AFL and we need to see a bigger cultural shift within the comp towards protecting players first over trying to push them through injury.

I don't think this is going to be the last time we see an incident like this within the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back