Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Selective leaking of the story does not paint the full picture.
He clearly wants out and I believe at some stage the Cub will agree to disagree and let him go.
IMO everything being said now is part of a process (for both sides).

It's several reasons. It's all guessing right now tbh. No one really knows. The negligence angle is something Pies supporters and Blues supporters are running with as they want to low ball an offer. He probably sees another rebuild and a period of mediocrity again and doesn't want to go through it under Goodwin. Wants to play for a bigger club and sees a way out pushing the mental health angle. Dees will look at all options. I'm sure they want to keep him, but it feels too far gone now. So they'll look at the best offers and put it to Trac's management. Dees are in the boxseat here regardless if he stays or goes.
I think you are probably spot on. It is important to also remember trades are not negotiated on this forum. In the end it will be what clubs are willing to offer and what Melbourne are willing to accept. As a Carlton fan, i would personally not trade one of our big forwards for him but thats just my opinion. He is a terrific footballer but i'm not sure the way HE is going about this is going to fill any prospective club with confidence.

It is interesting that in this league a successful, decorated player on a big contract effectively prices themselves out of the market.

Makes trades for players of Petracca’s ilk very difficult.

This should be a real option. And I agree with most of what you say. Probably a lot of Dees supporters do tbh. But the Roffey, Pert Goodwin regime is unbreakable unfortunately. Their arrogance and delusion has mostly caused this drama. Would love nothing more than for these 3 to exit, but it just won't happen unfortunately. Oliver should be traded also and Hunter delisted. Shocked he wasn't announced yesterday
Roffey and Pert can GGF as far as I'm concerned, Goodwin, eh - I'm indifferent. Apparently a lot of the players love Goody, and if he was such an issue, why would Viney stay? Surely Viney would've been vocal and perhaps taken the opportunity to leave instead of recommitting? But then we have the Bartlett allegations which most certainly muddy the waters. argh such a mess!

It always seems like our club have complete F-wits on the board, how TF do we fix that?

Mismanaged an injury that could have threatened his life.
Negligence
You realise Club Doctors have to abide by the Hippocratic oath to DO NO HARM, right? If their decision lead to serious implications, that falls on the Dr, not the club. As long as the club has taken all acceptable measures to make sure that at that time, the players is fit to play, the club is in the clear. The call falls to the Dr. This needs to be made as clear as possible.

You realise Club Doctors have to abide by the Hippocratic oath to DO NO HARM, right? If their decision lead to serious implications, that falls on the Dr, not the club. As long as the club has taken all acceptable measures to make sure that at that time, the players is fit to play, the club is in the clear. The call falls to the Dr. This needs to be made as clear as possible.

Yep that's fair enough, but they hire club doctors to do that.
That falls on club management responsibility.

The club came out and tried to dig themselves out of the hole rather than supporting the guy in his time of need.
Why no action against the doctors under their employ?

None of this is a good look and if all the stories are true with other things not related to this, it smells like basket case mismanagement territory. The club needs a major cleanout of the people in charge.

I feel sorry for max Gawn in all of this. Seems like a really genuine guy who's been thrown into a crappy all around situation.

Blokes with a cramp struggle to walk/jog up and down the boundary. Let’s just sub off every bloke with a cramp then.

I'll be honest with you here. Your blind faith in your club is clouding your judgement and this comment is extremely stupid.

Why no action against the doctors under their employ?

None of this is a good look and if all the stories are true with other things not related to this, it smells like basket case mismanagement territory. The club needs a major cleanout of the people in charge.

This is a flipping good question! I think it's one that most of us are also asking.
Make no mistake, there are many of us that believe the management (Roffey, Pert etc...) need to go.
What i can't work out is why we keep putting complete flipping idiots in these important positions. 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly did the MFC do that upset Christian so much?
Apparently Richo went over for dinner and criticised his Rigatoni Bolognese, things have been very strained since then.

This is a flipping good question! I think it's one that most of us are also asking.
Make no mistake, there are many of us that believe the management (Roffey, Pert etc...) need to go.
What i can't work out is why we keep putting complete flipping idiots in these important positions. 🤷‍♂️

Sometimes it requires bringing in the "right people" to make those changes.

Look what it did for the Pies, Cats, Tigers, Dogs, Lions etc to clean out staff and begin fresh.
If I was a Dees member (like many of my mates are) i'd be calling for full review of the board/football management/coaching staff etc.

Gross mismanagement that this squad didn't win more than 1 Premiership.

Sometimes it requires bringing in the "right people" to make those changes.

Look what it did for the Pies, Cats, Tigers, Dogs, Lions etc to clean out staff and begin fresh.
If I was a Dees member (like many of my mates are) i'd be calling for full review of the board/football management/coaching staff etc.

Gross mismanagement that this squad didn't win more than 1 Premiership.
Eh, don't fully agree with the last bit. Don't think anyone pegged us as a potential dynasty side prior to 2021. Think we got a bit overrated both internally and externally after an epic finals series in 21.

Flags are hard enough to win, but we certainly haven't given ourselves the best chance at it since though.

Think the winds are changing against the current group, but I don't hold much hope in any of them falling on their swords. We'll see finger pointing and scapegoats before that.

It has to be Essendon, right?

Both Carlton and Collingwood struggle to commit to this, i think. Both would have to give up core pieces and are already too thin, and may just not feel the time is right to go all in. Can Carlton give up McKay AND picks on the gamble that it makes them good enough now? Hmmm... i think it is just too much

But Essendon? They fit for a heap of reasons.

First, they have the pieces. Their list is deep and has everything in multiples, but not nearly enough star power. As a result, i think they can overwhelm any competing offer.

Melbourne want to blow it up and rebuild? How about either a young forward (Caddy? Jones?), a midfielder (Perkins? Hobbs?), a ruck (Bryan) and two first round picks?

Melbourne want to stay as competitive as possible? How about we go with Stringer, Parish, Redman and two first round picks that they can either keep or trade elsewhere for more veterans.

Not happy with the specific players there? Swap with any of half a dozen. Regardless, there's a package for Melbourne that kickstarts whatever their plan is to get out of their current mess.

And Essendon? That looks a lot to give up but they have a heap of duplication on their list. Up forward, for example, they have Wright, Stringer, Langford, Caddy, Jones, and Weideman available for two, maybe three spots in the team. Same all over the ground - Dodoro's legacy is a list clogged with a total imbalqnce between promising youngsters and good veterans. But it means they can go all in on a trade at some point and not miss a beat.

And this is a club that will hit 8000 days since its last finals win if it doesn't get there next year, yet who look firmly entrenched in 9th-12th. Who are they leapfrogging with this list? Arguably others go past them - Adelaide will bounce back, so will St Kilda, etc.

Petracca immediately becomes their biggest star since Hird, a perfect complement to Merrett and someone you could actually see dragging them to some success.

It has to be Essendon, right?

Both Carlton and Collingwood struggle to commit to this, i think. Both would have to give up core pieces and are already too thin, and may just not feel the time is right to go all in. Can Carlton give up McKay AND picks on the gamble that it makes them good enough now? Hmmm... i think it is just too much

But Essendon? They fit for a heap of reasons.

First, they have the pieces. Their list is deep and has everything in multiples, but not nearly enough star power. As a result, i think they can overwhelm any competing offer.

Melbourne want to blow it up and rebuild? How about either a young forward (Caddy? Jones?), a midfielder (Perkins? Hobbs?), a ruck (Bryan) and two first round picks?

Melbourne want to stay as competitive as possible? How about we go with Stringer, Parish, Redman and two first round picks that they can either keep or trade elsewhere for more veterans.

Not happy with the specific players there? Swap with any of half a dozen. Regardless, there's a package for Melbourne that kickstarts whatever their plan is to get out of their current mess.

And Essendon? That looks a lot to give up but they have a heap of duplication on their list. Up forward, for example, they have Wright, Stringer, Langford, Caddy, Jones, and Weideman available for two, maybe three spots in the team. Same all over the ground - Dodoro's legacy is a list clogged with a total imbalqnce between promising youngsters and good veterans. But it means they can go all in on a trade at some point and not miss a beat.

And this is a club that will hit 8000 days since its last finals win if it doesn't get there next year, yet who look firmly entrenched in 9th-12th. Who are they leapfrogging with this list? Arguably others go past them - Adelaide will bounce back, so will St Kilda, etc.

Petracca immediately becomes their biggest star since Hird, a perfect complement to Merrett and someone you could actually see dragging them to some success.
Agree Essendon seem like the perfect fit. There are reports Trac doesn't want to go there though which I'm a little perplexed by. Seems to fit all his needs.

From the very outside it feels far too toxic for their to be any chance Petracca returns unless either Goodwin or Oliver go. Oliver seems to have the support of Gawn so that seems unlikely.

Petracca is very clever and become a media darling , which has somewhat surprised me that some in the media are trying to pin the blame on him for the fall out.

it sounds quite a similar scenario to when Judd left WCE, Christian is going to field offers from the top Vic clubs and will then nominate his club of choice, Melbourne will have very little choice but to negotiate with that club. It might be wrong, but we have seen time and time again the player has far too much power and the club will eventually cave and leave with a deal that allows them to keep face but will be well unders what they want.

Maybe because it’s been 7000+ days since they won a final?
Yeah but it's not like they're bottoming out. They have a decent list building they just lack star power. Trac could help change their fortunes. Maybe he doesn't want that pressure? Seems weird to me.

From the very outside it feels far too toxic for their to be any chance Petracca returns unless either Goodwin or Oliver go. Oliver seems to have the support of Gawn so that seems unlikely.

Petracca is very clever and become a media darling , which has somewhat surprised me that some in the media are trying to pin the blame on him for the fall out.

it sounds quite a similar scenario to when Judd left WCE, Christian is going to field offers from the top Vic clubs and will then nominate his club of choice, Melbourne will have very little choice but to negotiate with that club. It might be wrong, but we have seen time and time again the player has far too much power and the club will eventually cave and leave with a deal that allows them to keep face but will be well unders what they want.
Judd was out of contract where Petracca is not which limits his options. All parties will have to come to the table here for anything to happen. Think once he goes official with it a deal will have all but been done.

Not to defend my club in this. I said at the time he absolutely should not have gone back on and we've clearly got history here and responded terribly in the aftermath, but I think the injury mismanagement issue is a league wide problem. It was only 12 months ago Mason Cox got a hit that ruptured his spleen, played and trained through it and it got discovered days later. Not dissimilar to the way clubs have handled concussion, Bulldogs with Liberatore, Port with Allir etc.

Think more heat needs to come onto the AFL and we need to see a bigger cultural shift within the comp towards protecting players first over trying to push them through injury.

I don't think this is going to be the last time we see an incident like this within the AFL.
100% agreed, things like this should almost entirely be taken out of the clubs' hands (at least if they're not going to manage it correctly).

There's already the independent doctors that can demand players come off for HIA assessments. Seems like a simple fix - just broaden the scope of their responsibilities and power.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back