Clay Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Getting in before anyone else! Welcome to the Suns Clay! Picked as a QLD Zone Selection.

Clay is a KPP prospect who tested very well at the combine. He's been playing in the 2s for us on occasion this year, so is quite well placed in the club already.

Height: 191cm
Weight: 83kg

1_AA030712JW%20178.jpg

From the D&T board gurus:
While I think the Gold Coast will have to pass on some of the Queensland talent due to list management, I can't see them saying no to Cameron - if for some reason they did, I'd take him in the second round. I rated him as one of the best KPPs in the draft coming into the season, and that was regardless of if he played up forward or down back. Unfortunately he had an interrupted start of the season and never quite showed what he is truly capable of. Strong above his head and above average athletically, I like him as a CHB personally.

Profile: Has in the past played as a key forward but this year is showing some ability as a key defender. Cameron is an above average athlete and has a strong leap on him. The major strength in his game is his strong marking ability and his ability to take a grab at its highest point. Down back has a solid shut down game and can go with most forwards.

Combine highlights:
Standing Vertical Jump: 72cm (8th)
Running Vertical Jump: 88cm (5th)
20 meter sprints: 2.91sec (8th)

Article here.

Cameron, a product of Mt Gravatt, said he was rapt to be joining the GC SUNS, a team he trained with over the pre-season.

"I can’t wait to join the Gold Coast SUNS and start my AFL career, and what makes it even sweeter is being able to do it in Queensland.

“They are a fantastic club and are one of the most exciting teams in the competition, and having had the chance to train and play with the reserves I’m just looking forward to getting down there,” Cameron said.

I reckon he'll put on a few kg's this preseason, play a few games next year (similar to sexy and allen this year), then have a massive preseason at the end of next year and start to develop into a KPD. Only low 190's height-wise, but so was Matthew Scarlett. :p

Mate, banging my drum again, how can we get this from Clay in 10 mins but nothing from Martin in a week. is buullshite farkin

Maybe hes still in WA and they will do it when he moves up? just my guess lol

Maybe hes still in WA and they will do it when he moves up? just my guess lol

We do have phones, a quote wouldn't be too hard to get you would think.

Hi Jack, Bluey here

Oh Hi Bluey, I am looking forward to joining the Suns next year and working hard to develop into a first class footballer

Great Jack, Hey would you mind if we put that on the Suns Website

Nah mate, go ahead.

There DONE :D

Now back on Clay, he is a little short for a key forward or defender, hopefully at 17 he is still growing, would need to be 194+ to get a gig in one of these roles.

Getting in before anyone else! Welcome to the Suns Clay! Picked as a QLD Zone Selection.

Clay is a KPP prospect who tested very well at the combine. He's been playing in the 2s for us on occasion this year, so is quite well placed in the club already.

Height: 191cm
Weight: 83kg

1_AA030712JW%20178.jpg

From the D&T board gurus:

Combine highlights:
Standing Vertical Jump: 72cm (8th)
Running Vertical Jump: 88cm (5th)
20 meter sprints: 2.91sec (8th)
So what has happened to this bloke? Hasn't made his senior debut, playing in the NEAFL?

Solomon hopes to mould clay.
“Our NAB Challenge match against Essendon was definitely a good starting point for Clay,” he told goldcoastfc.com.au.

“He showed a healthy appetite for the contest, which is certainly going to hold him in really good stead heading into the regular season.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clay stays grounded after dream debut.
He all but shut out the Tigers’ third tall forward, and saved an almost certain goal after going back with the flight of the ball to spoil a Brett Deledio mark at a pivotal time in the contest..

It was a game-changing play from the former Mt Gravatt junior, and Gold Coast SUNS assistant coach Dean Solomon could not have been more excited by Cameron’s promising start.

“The role he played for us – he was on opposition players up to 10 to 12 cm taller than him, then on small guys who were nippy - was faultless; he executed everything we asked of him,” Solomon told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

316925.jpg

Thought he was pretty good tonight. Made a few mistakes, but they seemed to be purely due to the slippery surface. Good addition to the team for tonight's game I think - has some work to do, but I can definitely see him playing a part of our top 22 in the future.

I like Clay a lot but he has a habit of getting a lot of goals kicked on him quickly when things aren't going well. I don't like him as a key defender. Third or fourth tall OK. I'd also like to see him trialled up forward.

I like Clay a lot but he has a habit of getting a lot of goals kicked on him quickly when things aren't going well. I don't like him as a key defender. Third or fourth tall OK. I'd also like to see him trialled up forward.

Would agree with that for sure, though for any of the youngsters getting some consistent games builds their confidence, would like to see how he would grow with some more games, on playing forward, I saw him play forward at Mt Gravatt and can be pretty exciting.

Think he found his niche as a forward against Essendon.
Could never understand why the Suns played him as a back. When I used to see him play with my mate at his Brissy club, he would destroy up front. Never saw him play as a defender back then, but I always thought GC were missing out with him tucked away at the back imo.

Could never understand why the Suns played him as a back. When I used to see him play with my mate at his Brissy club, he would destroy up front. Never saw him play as a defender back then, but I always thought GC were missing out with him tucked away at the back imo.
Main knock on him as a forward (I think) is that he's a straight line runner. Not one of these super agile 190 forwards.

But there's nothing wrong with leading hard, getting the ball kicked to you and then lining back to goal. There's definitely a place for a forward like that still.

Against all odds, Clay Cameron has been selected for round 1 of the 2016 season. Although he is named as a back pocket, it is doubtless that he will be lining up at one of the half-forward flanks. It will be interesting to see how he goes, this will be the first time has gas played forward in a regular-season game since round 23, 2014.

This is a make-or-break year for Clay, and I think he knows that. I wish him the best.

I can't remember, has he made it through the entire preseason uninterrupted? I can't remember hearing anything about him getting injured. This may well be his first uninterrupted pre-season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back