Clutch Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

You had him when he was at his best imo, you played him as a permanent mid and he was scary good- won you a premiership.
However you guys burnt him out and were happy to trade him as you believed his knees were shot and would barely last another season, which was true IF he'd kept playing full time mid.
Clarko plays him as a mid for about 12 quarters a year and has stretched out his career for an extra 5+ years.
"Won you a premiership" ?????? What are you talking about? Considering you're a hawthorn supporter, I imagine you probably don't remember a great deal of the 2004 season, but he was hardly the reason we won that year. If any one player, or Burgoyne for that matter, "won us a premiership" in 2004, it was PETER. All of that aside, Shaun is absolute gun. Best clearance player I've seen, seems like a genuinely good bloke, and has seen so much success. Naturally I'm jealous and still wish he was at Port.

S Burgoyne got us into a 2004 GF ...

The bloke made probably one of the best smothers in the history of the game to save a goal in the last minute.
Great smother. I'd strongly argue that it was Roger James who dragged us over the line though. Kept us in it during the first quarter when we were under the pump. One of my all time favourite Port Adelaide individual performances.

"Won you a premiership" ?????? What are you talking about? Considering you're a hawthorn supporter, I imagine you probably don't remember a great deal of the 2004 season, but he was hardly the reason we won that year. If any one player, or Burgoyne for that matter, "won us a premiership" in 2004, it was PETER. All of that aside, Shaun is absolute gun. Best clearance player I've seen, seems like a genuinely good bloke, and has seen so much success. Naturally I'm jealous and still wish he was at Port.
I remember it being a Burgoyne that tore it apart, ill take your word that it was Peter. I was a touch disinterested in comparison with yourself I would imagine.

I remember it being a Burgoyne that tore it apart, ill take your word that it was Peter. I was a touch disinterested in comparison with yourself I would imagine.
I bet you were. But I reckon not nearly as disinterested as I was in 2011 and 2012 Good luck with the fourthpeat.

I don't understand what it is that allows him to do it. He seems to cruise for quarters, even games at a time and when the heat is on he just turns it up. Bartel used to do the same thing. Whenever the game is on the line, they become 20% better and just get it done. Do they hold back until it is completely necessary or do they just maintain composure when other players feel the heat? I've wondered about it before and could never really grasp it.

His career from an individual perspective is great but nothing too decorated, then he becomes prime Ablett in close 4th quarters. That shouldn't be possible, but it happens time after time.
Yes to both the bolded.

When he's playing in a team full of proven champions and he has bad knees, he's not going to go his hardest against a Gold Coast or Essendon. While he's been needed in some of the close games this year, he generally hangs in the back half and avoids the battering of the stoppages to preserve himself so when he's needed, he's as fresh as possible.

However when he's still around the ball, you can see he uses his core strength to bump, nudge and body his opponents to impact the ball in his favour, plus his ability to tap and control the ball without having to exert much energy is what makes him so good and so composed at all times.

If anyone watches him closely you can see how he does so much little stuff without seemingly doing anything. He's one of the smartest footballers going around and one of, if not the, most complete footballers in the game who hasn't lost his speed either.

Yeah absolute gun, so is the coach we gave them as well .. and the fat bloke who won them a flag in 2008.
Think you forgot a certain fitness guru as well.... makes me feel a little bad really. I'd say thanks but .... ugh this is awkward, manly handshake?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We wanted to keep him but he had a sook when Peter was forced out and he didn't get the captaincy.. probably the right call to leave at that point.
First part probably true.

Second part possibly not.

Other issues were present that have already been referred to in this thread; these were directly affecting Burgoyne...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL Peter was a soft outside stat padder.... Shaun is a jet
I'd love to hear Shaun's reponse to that!! what a load of BS.. He was a bloody good footballer 240 games & probably should've got the Norm Smith over Byron in 2004 for mine, vastly underrated player that suffers from "didn't play for a Victorian club" syndrome.

Doesn't fit within modern stat (specifically disposal) obsession.
It's just a crutch for having jack shit footy knowledge, not saying I'm some footy genius but the morons on tv only know to look at a few numbers on face value and judge a players worth on that. Hardly unique to our sport, but look at footywire player rankings and the first thing you see is disposals per game, lol, not goals but disposals. Hawthorn have two players in the top 77, makes you wonder how we win games.

Staggered he has only got one AA.
Joke of an award anyway. Age and consistency works against him, because he is not the new and exciting kid on the block. These players win the spots, not the best players in that position each year.

Plus the 15 midfielders they somehow fit in the team, but that's another story.

Last edited:
An absolute champion who could have won Brownlows and media awards at another club where he could have picked up 30+ touches every week playing permanent midfield...but probably retired 3 years ago.

He is just about the best 'pro rata' midfielder i've seen. Whenever he is in there, he gets the job done. Masterful player who has been masterfully handled by Clarkson and the club. Thursday night was just another in a long list of clutch performances - the 2013 prelim and the first term of the 2014 GF being his masterpieces.

Earlier this year, I watched Burgoyne get tackled in open play. I posted on the Hawk board after the game - all watching on tv had noticed it, whilst those live had no idea - already moving on to the contest up field - it was as if it had never happened before.

Around the same time - an opponent broke through a tackle , he kicked it out-on-the-full under no pressure, and we lost a close game after he went into the middle. The bells were beginning to toll, and the Hawthorn 16 Premiership confidence was plummeting.

This season may indeed be his "dead cat bounce" - his swansong - his leap from legend status to true immortality - and we (I) hope he gets to do a "Burgoyne" one more time, dragging us over the line with an inspirational play. (Or better yet, we cruise to another 40 point GF win!)

I feel blessed for getting to see him play for my team each week, and regret I paid little regard to him for his first 50 games, firstly writing him off as "just a talented small forward", then "feeding off a dominant ruck", before finally realising and arguing "Better than Judd" against the media around the 03-06 period.

I don't think he's ever sought, nor received the attention and celebration his on-field exploits have deserved - his ability to be a key cog within the machine, playing his role before elevating himself at key moments presents a "chicken/egg" debate within Clarkson's strategic game management style - clearly impacting on the media and public's perception of his performances, who (in the main) show zero understanding of the game other than the stats sheet.

He would not be out of place retiring a 5-time AA, yet has just one to his name.

If my life depended on the outcome of one centre-bounce, Burgoyne would be in there, ahead of Hodge and Mitchell. Over any other player of the last 30 years I've been watching football. He's the best "footballer" I've ever seen.

He was the one who stood up in the 2012 prelim against Adelaide

After Johncock put us up with a couple of minutes to go, it was Burgoyne who got the centre clearance at the re-start and put it down Rioli's throat - Crows' charge over

Repeatedly does what he has to do when it's needed

Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Clutch Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back