• Lade

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 49 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate hearing about how muh better their culture is blah blah.
Sydney have their academy rort, COLA, a potential player base of 5+ million people etc etc. It helps when you can have the best players added for free.

A bit like Geelong- they have the upper hand over the rest of the comp with proper home ground advantage, players looking to move clubs out of the bubble, and travel is an hour or two for 95% of the year.

The proof is that both teams make finals often but can't win it all. If we transplant the same players to WCE/Freo then it goes from a top 4 finish -> Elimination final and so on.
All I'm reading are excuses, if you want to beat them you have to be better. We've done it before and we'll do it again.

Cox to enter the race 9am Sunday

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its not just about players. I think a late appointment of a coach also affects the assistants he can bring too. The later we approach the harder it will be to get them across. In fact i dare say alot are on holiday now and working towards the next preseason so will be interesting to see how we go in that space.
I always thought to move assistant coaches on they would have to be told by the end of August as if still under contract the new coach’s hands may be tied in what assistant coaches he can bring with. That’s always been my understanding however could be wrong. Not sure what happened in the first year Simmo came on board re the assistant coaches.

Let's have a look at the Sydney team that lined up on Saturday. Information has been collected from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt...

Dane Rampe -- Rookie, 2013
Tom McCartin -- Pick 33, 2017
Nick Blakey -- Pick 10, 2018
Jake Lloyd -- Rookie, 2013
Harry Cunningham -- Rookie, 2012
Lewis Melican -- Rookie selection, 2015
James Jordan -- Pick 33, 2018 Melbourne. Moved to Sydney as an free agent
Chad Warner -- Pick 39, 2019
Oliver Florent -- Pick 11, 2016
Luke Parker -- Pick 40, 2010
Logan McDonald -- Pick 4, 2020
Errol Gulden -- Pick 32, 2020
Tom Papely -- Rookie, 2016
Joel Amarty -- Pick 28, 2018
Will Hayward -- Pick 21, 2016
Brodie Grundie -- Trade from Melbourne
Isaac Heeney -- Pick 18, 2014
James Rowbottom -- Pick 25, 2018
Matthew Roberts -- Pick 34, 2021
Robbie Fox -- Rookie, 2017
Justin McInerny -- Pick 44, 2018
Hayden Maclean -- Rookie, 2018
Braeden Campbell -- Pick 5, 2020

I don't know how that compares to other teams, but that's a lot of mid- and late- draft selections, plus plenty of rookies. Only two players have come from other clubs -- Grundy and Jordan. And Jordan was an unrestricted free agent because he'd previously been delisted at Melbourne. Granted, they got lucky on the Grundy deal... but then, other teams could have chased Grundy too.

COLA was removed back in 2014, so almost every player on their list was recruited post-COLA.

As for academy picks... I believe Blakey, Isaac Heeney and Braeden Campbell were all academy players. Blakey and Campbell were matched picks, and Sydney had to give up pick 10 and 5 respectively. Heeney was also matched, but the rules were different at the time, and Sydney were able to get away with using pick 18 to match a bid from Melbourne for pick 2.

So from what I can gather, the only really "unfair" advantage this Sydney team has had so far, was getting Heeney at pick 18... and the AFL immediately changed the rules subsequently.

IMHO, however you look at it, Sydney have done a fantastic job in building a top side. I have no idea how much of that is credit to Longmire, versus their list manager, talent scouts, development coaches, etc.

But they beat us in pretty much every facet of the game. And they've turned their biggest disadvantage into a big advantage (ie, not being a Victorian club)... something we haven't figured out how to do.
Callum Mills at pick 3 using picks 33-36-37-43
I cant find what picks were used for the next bids but I can say what Sydney went in with
Nick Blakey at pick 10 and went in with picks 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 88
Braeden Campbell at pick 5 and Errol Gulden at pick 32 and went in with picks 3, 31, 34, 43, 60, 82
They also took Logan Mcdonald at pick 4 since no one bid on Campbell in the top 3 which wasn't their fault.

Sydney are a great team with a great culture but I don't think anyone can deny that they haven't been given help by the AFL. That also isn't their fault, it's the AFL not being able to sort out a proper academy bidding system.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="GoEaglesGoSGIO" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
At this point let’s just get the in a room and sort it

,,, I declare a thumb war

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So we're supposedly getting a two time premiership assistant coach from the bottom of the ladder team? Last premiership 2020 and in 4 years they've slipped to wooden spoon, and the game has arguably changed in that time...
Wasn't Bolton a lock for Freo?
Anyway, there's been a whole lot of nothing going on (lots of gossip and speculation) as we paddle around the end of season doldrums, but it all starts to gather momentum from tomorrow...according to this old news.

'West Coast are set to unveil their new coach this week, with the reported favourite being Andrew McQualter, 'according to Damian Barrett'.
It was also reported that Richmond's Shai Bolton and Liam Baker are awaiting the appointment of McQualter which could sway their decisions on requesting trades to West Coast, rather than Fremantle, as both players previously played under McQualter during his time at Richmond..."

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Twitter rumour going around is that if King gets the gig then Matthew Scarlett will come as an assistant. That would be a fantastic appointment IMO. Highly regarded and certainly won’t play the nice guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twitter rumour going around is that if King gets the gig then Matthew Scarlett will come as an assistant. That would be a fantastic appointment IMO. Highly regarded and certainly won’t play the nice guy.

Don't know how reliable, but here's the Tweet. Someone from K-Rock

Quick bit of research- Scarlett joined the bulldogs as a part time development coach at the end of 2012. So spent time with King there until 2016 when he left to join Geelong as an assistant coach

Left Geelong at the end of 2021 and as far as I can tell hasn’t been involved with an AFL club since

Was noted for not tolerating fools during his playing career so could be a good addition as I assume our backline coach (replacing Webster who either leaves or goes back to forwards)

Scarlett also belted Ballantine which is another reason to like him

Harry Taylor having a big influence then ...we've been Geelong'ed , Tim Kelly will win the Brownlow in 2025 .
Harley will be pleased as a Geelong supporter growing up , should get J Selwood across also .

Additional tweet notes King removed from Geelong website:

Maybe there was something in C.Scott’s comments the other week along the lines of “he’ll be a great coach at… if he becomes a senior coach”.

Might also explain the minor delay in announcing (if it even has been delayed), allow him to get medically cleared and back to normal before a very busy period of contracts, trading, draft and straight in to pre-season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we find out tomorrow around 10am.

**EDIT - both Skipworth & McQualter still feature on their respective clubs websites.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quick bit of research- Scarlett joined the bulldogs as a part time development coach at the end of 2012. So spent time with King there until 2016 when he left to join Geelong as an assistant coach

Left Geelong at the end of 2021 and as far as I can tell hasn’t been involved with an AFL club since

Was noted for not tolerating fools during his playing career so could be a good addition as I assume our backline coach (replacing Webster who either leaves or goes back to forwards)

Scarlett also belted Ballantine which is another reason to like him
From Scarlett’s Wikipedia page.

Scarlett co-owned a Geelong-based restaurant with fellow Geelong footballers Steven King and Kent Kingsley called the George and Dragon Hotel from 2004–2007 until it changed name and ownership due to financial difficulty. Due to the financial difficulty being made known to Scarlett only days before its closure, he headbutted one of his fellow restaurant partners (although it was not said which), although he apologised the next day

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back