List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that is yet to happen. If clubs have committed to matching, they match regardless of where the bid is.

Noah Cumberland and Will Martin to Richmond just off the top of my head. Both Brisbane academy, both not matched bids. Just because something hasn’t happened, doesn’t mean it won’t/can’t. Clubs just won’t bid on a player they don’t want. I’ll leave it there, you’re not worth my time.

1697977093653.png
1697977112558.png

So I'd like to think we are a good chance of trading out of our pick 19 in 2023 to beef up our 2024 draft hand.

Looking at the above, who of the clubs would have an interest in doing a deal?

I've jotted down some thoughts, would love to hear some others thoughts as well:

• GC - After their picks are absorbed for 2-3 players prior to our 19, would they have an interest in trading for our 19? A deal could look like 19 for 2024 end of R1 comp (pick 20)
  • Freo - Could we somehow get our F1 back if they like someone still available at our pick? 19 and hawks F2 for our own F1 and their owned F2?
  • Richmond - I think the most likely buyer - 19 for both of the F2's they own
  • Carlton - 19 for 22/28 and their future 2nd
  • Sydney - 19 for 2024 end of R1 compo (19)

It’s been said many times since that nearly every recruiter would’ve taken Tambling with the same pick. In hindsight you wonder how.
Not every afl insider rated him that highly. I remember chatting to Ricky Nixon at that draft years derby day, when he was still credible…. and he was saying that no one knows how old Tambling really is. Due to him growing up in an indigenous community. And that he could easily already be 21 - 22 years old. V interesting how it played out after that

Lots of complaints about our trading in the past. Who was the last pies player traded our that won a premiership? Nick Davis? Am I missing anyone. Given that about a third of our premiership team started elsewhere, feel like we're doing alright.
Rhyce Shaw (Sydney/2012), I'd say. It should be Nick Davis and Paul Williams (Sydney/2005) prior to that.

Signed via a preseason draft from memory after retiring from the Cats. Not sure that fits the bill as there wasn’t any bidding process, he just agreed to sign with them.
Is it too cynical to suggest that getting his brother to GC didn’t cross their minds when signing Nathan?

Not every afl insider rated him that highly. I remember chatting to Ricky Nixon at that draft years derby day, when he was still credible…. and he was saying that no one knows how old Tambling really is. Due to him growing up in an indigenous community. And that he could easily already be 21 - 22 years old. V interesting how it played out after that
That definitely sounds like something to come out of Ricky Nixon’s mouth.

Lots of complaints about our trading in the past. Who was the last pies player traded our that won a premiership? Nick Davis? Am I missing anyone. Given that about a third of our premiership team started elsewhere, feel like we're doing alright.

Rhys Shaw

Noah Cumberland and Will Martin to Richmond just off the top of my head. Both Brisbane academy, both not matched bids. Just because something hasn’t happened, doesn’t mean it won’t/can’t. Clubs just won’t bid on a player they don’t want. I’ll leave it there, you’re not worth my time.
Josh Dunkley another IIRC. Sydney chose not to match Footscrays bid

Mal Michael.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok but still on the list.
Everyone's future is unknown.
They were not delisted.
Madge hadn't been delisted at this stage last year. And Kelly hadn't been re-signed. Unless they've signed, it could still go either way for Begg and Kelly.

Last edited:
The time to get him was when he was leaving the Suns for peanuts, not from Freo now that his value is up.
Up? I think they might have taken the F1 out of the deal for Schultz if we asked for Brodie on top. He can play in a Sier type way and will never put it together on a consistent basis for whatever reason.

Port are going to be an interesting watch next year. Very good list who just came off a pretty good season which finished with Hinkley being spat on by multiple supporters as he made his way to the rooms. And then in a furious mood he gave the team an almighty spray - so much so that the players who didn't make the team were glad they hadn't played. Butters and his contract status is going to be one to watch in the coming years.
IMO, they’re a couple of positional tweaks from being a serious threat, but I think they were in serious trouble the moment they finished 3rd. That was always a poisoned chalice because no one was beating Brisbane up there and GWS were on a tear late season.

Phasing Dixon out for Lord, Wines back into the middle, Sweet/ Soldo replacing Lycett and one of BZT or Ratugalea effectively pairing with Aliir will see them in it up to their eyeballs. If not I’ll buy what you’re selling on Butters because they’ve underachieved basically every season since 2020.

IMO, they’re a couple of positional tweaks from being a serious threat, but I think they were in serious trouble the moment they finished 3rd. That was always a poisoned chalice because no one was beating Brisbane up there and GWS were on a tear late season.

Phasing Dixon out for Lord, Wines back into the middle, Sweet/ Soldo replacing Lycett and one of BZT or Ratugalea effectively pairing with Aliir will see them in it up to their eyeballs. If not I’ll buy what you’re selling on Butters because they’ve underachieved basically every season since 2020.
I agree with you on the list and think they should be challenging, but Alberton isn't a particularly happy place at the moment, so I won't be surprised if they underachieve. It should have been a solid season to build upon, but well - they're Port. They don't deal with not winning well.

There was an announcement 1-2 weeks ago he and Carmichael had signed 1 year deals

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ve only heard both been offered. Not confirmed.
If they don’t accept do they become delisted free agents?

I’ve only heard both been offered. Not confirmed.
If they don’t accept do they become delisted free agents?
No. If you've been offered a contract and rejected it - you have to go via the draft - otherwise you wouldn't trade for an uncontracted player. Clubs have been known to do a player a favour and delist them after offering a contract.

They could be signed by anyone after the draft if they nominate and no one picks them.

I agree with you on the list and think they should be challenging, but Alberton isn't a particularly happy place at the moment, so I won't be surprised if they underachieve. It should have been a solid season to build upon, but well - they're Port. They don't deal with not winning well.
That’s a plus because I viewed them as threats and even though it’s early days if that’s a background factor now it’s a hard road back to premiership contention. This type of stuff derails good teams quickly!

I know we all placed a big emphasis on top 2 in 2023, but 2024 might be even more important. I can mount a case for all of Brisbane, Port, GWS, Adelaide and Sydney to be in top 4 contention next year so this stuff is a bonus. Ignoring what it means for player availability beyond 2024.

That’s a plus because I viewed them as threats and even though it’s early days if that’s a background factor now it’s a hard road back to premiership contention. This type of stuff derails good teams quickly!

I know we all placed a big emphasis on top 2 in 2023, but 2024 might be even more important. I can mount a case for all of Brisbane, Port, GWS, Adelaide and Sydney to be in top 4 contention next year so this stuff is a bonus. Ignoring what it means for player availability beyond 2024.
Thinks can turn quickly with a club's mood though too. So I wouldn't put a line through them yet. Just think they're an interesting watch
I think we're looking at 15 years of the club's from the North being very over-represented at the pointy end. Until they get the academy matching levelled and then a decent lag for the advantages to washout.

I know we all placed a big emphasis on top 2 in 2023, but 2024 might be even more important. I can mount a case for all of Brisbane, Port, GWS, Adelaide and Sydney to be in top 4 contention next year so this stuff is a bonus. Ignoring what it means for player availability beyond 2024

No Melbourne and Carlton in top 4 contention for 2024? The Demons appear to be imploding, following a trajectory that started in mid-2022 when Melksham punched May in the head.😳

But Carlton? I’m hoping this year was a false dawn for them - but they do have some players.

I think just on principle you don't back a Ken Hinkley coached team to do much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back